The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Biggest question for me currently is what the weather’s doing during gate opening. Will it rain on the overnight queue crew? If so, I’ll arrive Wednesday pm when it’ll hopefully be drier. I may well make the call overnight Wednesday morning! Knife. Edge. 

Makes me feel better about my coach getting on site late afternoon.  I don't wish rain on the queues but it will help my FOMO as I tuck into a full english still hours from the site 

From the Netweather forecasters:

• Veteran
  • Site forecast team
  • forecastteam.png.e09413542465db356c8f4b1

Synoptic Overview

Certainly turning more unsettled around the middle of next week. But a quick look at the ensemble charts show detail a long way off.

GEFSGlastonbury20June12Hz.thumb.JPG.31fd147788805310b6ec041d33987027.JPG610day_03b.thumb.jpg.1254007292ef86f2fed4a6942eda4a92.jpg

ECM ensemble average has lower pressure for the Friday, perhaps getting better over the weekend.

ECM192for28June.thumb.png.9d009f5fbe68e012911d7ba3834548b1.pngECM240for30June.thumb.png.4110e3ae71c93d46d6ae3a6ee4403335.png

A quick look at the GFS Meteogram and this suggests rain on many days next week but not large amounts.

Glastonbury20June00Hz.thumb.JPG.743edffdbe416c61a424ac1e9a53f14b.JPGGlastonbury20June12Hz.thumb.JPG.d93e1b77290d6f4353d1ffc97fcd1f28.JPG

There are sizeable differences though between runs and still a lot of uncertainty but that is the norm in forecasting Glastonbury festival weather.

1 hour ago, devonhammer said:

I'd be interested if there's a good source for the UK Met Office high-res data. Best I can find is this out to Wednesday am

UKV (The MO high-res) goes out to 54 hours on most runs, and 120 hours on a couple a day.  That's why you can only see information out to Wednesday next week.

Tuesday onwards seems problematic for the models with real uncertainty on what the jet stream will do; we see big variations run to run and between models.

Until we get consistency for that morning onwards anything after that is borderline guess work. I think there is some confidence in saying there will be some sort of breakdown into Wednesday, but the extent and severity of that is really up in the air.

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Wednesday morning gates open then

Glastonbury 2011 weather forecast: Rain hits first day of festival ...

😆 - you bugger! Yeah that looks pretty much like it tbh, and for me at least after 8 hours in the dark snake with rain to ensure all my gear is properly  soaked through!

This is the GFS 6hz sea level pressure ensembles leading up to Sunday, all over the place from Tuesday so it'll be a few days before we actually know what it's going to be like in reality

image.thumb.png.04e725e2f38cc4398ad784fa3d7c78ce.png

37 minutes ago, DCIFF23 said:

So what we saying - still too far out?

Definitely.  Jet Stream is f**king with us which makes the models completely unpredictable.  If it was stable, then we could place more stock by the longer (5-7 day) forecasting to at least be fairly close, but as it is, I'd even take the forecasts in the next 48 hours with pinch of salt.

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Not your choice unfortunately

image.thumb.png.a02cdfe003bb9e3e27e172efda00118d.png

You must be so fun at parties, and glasto for that matter. Aware that this an 'act' or 'character' you play each year into the build up but f**k me that must be boring and sad. People's first time on here; bit weird you sitting here all day and pissing on their parade.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, DCIFF23 said:

You must be so fun at parties, and glasto for that matter. Aware that this an 'act' or 'character' you play each year into the build up but f**k me that must be boring and sad. People's first time on here; bit weird you sitting here all day and pissing on their parade.

😂 ……and breathe

11 minutes ago, DCIFF23 said:

you shouldn't let him wind you up

1 minute ago, chuckles07 said:

😂 ……and breathe

1 minute ago, behindthebunhouse said:

you shouldn't let him wind you up

Ahaha believe it or not i'm not wound up. Just thought it needed to be said, as i've not seen anyone else say it.