The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

9 minutes ago, briddj said:

It would be a month's rain in a morning, so it absolutely would IF it came to pass.

This is what we had at Bearded on the Wed. Average monthly for May - 66mm. 30 hours later overnight Wed through to 7am Thurs was 70+mm! More scrappy doo than scooby doo there.

17 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It updated arpound 80 minutes ago - taking off any showers it had before this.

Yeah they usually way behind on the latest runs though like accuweather. That update will be from runs earlier. 

That's what I've noticed over the years

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah they usually way behind on the latest runs though like accuweather. That update will be from runs earlier. 

That's what I've noticed over the years

Haven't the runs been a bit rubbish for a few days now? 

37 minutes ago, Jinglebells said:

Excuse my barely there weather knowledge apart from getting hopelessly into the charts ahead of glasto each year but the GEM chart (no idea if this is regarded solid or not for the UK?) is showing really nice weather in their 12z today!

Here for the hopeless positivity 😅

Welcome optimist troll - I like the cut of your gib !

Yeah look it's 4 days out. I think it's a given it's not going to be rain free but its all about the timing - for me it's around Wed getting in - queuing for 8 hours then pitching is a shite way to start.

55 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Is there a point anyone would consider not going based on the weather?

I’m not sure.  I think it would need to be 2016 ground conditions, plus rain over the weekend and really REALLY windy. Gales and storms in a tent are actually terrifying.  If just wet/muddy I’d still go, even if it was bad. I’d need my knee support though…..

1 hour ago, august1 said:

surely the ground is in much better state than 2016, The Wednesday rain can't be that damaging

Fortunate to get on site for a wander before the festival starts  most years. The grounds in excellent order from what I saw yesterday . In 2016 it was sodden with a lot of damage by site traffic and getting  the traders on the weekend before it started 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, behindthebunhouse said:

Personally, I think it's gonna be fine

Yeah I think Wednesday going to be rainy, it'll be fairly muddy Thursday with some more rain in the morning then sound.

All change from the ECM 12z. The midnight run had rain for the queue on Tuesday night, now it holds the low to our south with no rain.  A few showers on Wednesday ahead of more organised rain for Wednesday night…

IMG_4419.thumb.jpeg.4ba1d9826e18840dfabafb85a4a7e7b2.jpeg

This then fizzles out but the low pressure has replaced the ridge of high pressure present on the 0z run, so there’s now the chance of heavy showers breaking out Thursday…

IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.16eb5a23f98e6a8f357b8853f2949972.jpeg

it deepens the low into a major feature and then brings it up over the U.K.. This could bring spells of heavy rain for Friday…

image.thumb.jpeg.5edf3b74acf77188ed760f10137610ed.jpeg

The low then hangs around for the rest of the festival providing showers or longer spells of rain.

After the dry start, a pretty horrendous run, with rain every day from Thursday onwards…

Be very interesting to see what the U.K. Met model makes of all this over the next couple of days…

Edited by Sheffield Steve

1 minute ago, Sheffield Steve said:

All change from the ECM 12z. The midnight run had rain for the queue on Tuesday night, now it holds the low to our south with no rain.  A few showers on Wednesday ahead of more organised rain for Wednesday night…

IMG_4419.thumb.jpeg.4ba1d9826e18840dfabafb85a4a7e7b2.jpeg

This then fizzles out but the low pressure has replaced the ridge of high pressure present on the 0z run, so there’s now the chance of heavy showers breaking out Thursday…

IMG_4420.thumb.jpeg.16eb5a23f98e6a8f357b8853f2949972.jpeg

it deepens the low into a major feature and then brings it up over the U.K.. This could bring spells of heavy rain for Friday…

image.thumb.jpeg.5edf3b74acf77188ed760f10137610ed.jpeg

The low then hangs around for the rest of the festival providing showers or longer spells of rain.

After the dry start, a pretty horrendous run.

The worst yet.

Yaaaaaaay

14 minutes ago, behindthebunhouse said:

Personally, I think it's gonna be fine

13 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

Personally, I hope it’s gonna be fine. 

Me too. 

It’s going to be glorious.

49 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

It's those with mobility issues that I feel for most

Yes, that's me! Can't get around if it's muddy so it's always a make or break really as can't just crack on with it

Thanks for your thoughts 👍