The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

2 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

I’m getting married in Bath on Saturday. The weather beforehand is great, but the weather on the day looks in the balance with a 30-50% chance of some rain at some stage. Where are the GFS maps that @briddj shared in here from and is there any way I can get them online for Bath? 

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your big day... 

Those charts were from here https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

You'll see a grid of numbers, ignore that for now, then underneath you'll see 4 drop down boxes, ignore the two on the right for now. 

In the top left drop down box, where it says "Choose Chart Type"
Choose Height 500hpa + SLP for the pressure charts.
Choose UK max Temp for, you guessed it, max temp.
Choose UK Precipitation for the rain. 

The box directly beneath that, which reads "Current," is where you choose between the most recent (current) run, or the previous one, done 6 hours before. Sometimes the most recent one is still 'in progress' (The GFS is run every 6 hours, with each run labelled 00z 06z 12z or 18z, where the number refers to the hour in 24 hour format. So a 06z is the 6am run.)

Once you've set both of those drop down boxes use the slider (Or arrows << | >> either side) to move between times in 3 hour increments. The time and date is indicated in the top right of the image, so "Valid Wed 17/07 21:00" means just what it says, that this slide is showing the current run's prediction for that time and date. 

If you set the two drop down boxes on the right in the same way, you can do comparisons between different runs, or different chart types on the same run. 

Hope this helps.

But try not to worry, it doesn't look like much will fall before the early afternoon Saturday, and still early days yet, it's all to play for, hopefully this gets delayed further to Sunday. Or held up North entirely by that North Atlantic low not dipping down so far. 🤞

Edited by Alvoram

9 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Hi looking a little patchy sadly. I live near there.

Just to say I hope your Glastonbury was a good one. 

Mrs Q and I raised a glass to your Mum on Thursday night.

Must be a roller coaster for you. Have an incredible wedding on Saturday whatever the weather 

Thank you, really appreciate that. It was one of my best yet.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Congratulations, hope you enjoy your big day... 

Those charts were from here https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs

You'll see a grid of numbers, ignore that for now, then underneath you'll see 4 drop down boxes, ignore the two on the right for now. 

In the top left drop down box, where it says "Choose Chart Type"
Choose Height 500hpa + SLP for the pressure charts.
Choose UK max Temp for, you guessed it, max temp.
Choose UK Precipitation for the rain. 

The box directly beneath that, which reads "Current," is where you choose between the most recent (current) run, or the previous one, done 6 hours before. Sometimes the most recent one is still 'in progress' (The GFS is run every 6 hours, with each run labelled 00z 06z 12z or 18z, where the number refers to the hour in 24 hour format. So a 06z is the 6am run.)

Once you've set both of those drop down boxes use the slider (Or arrows << | >> either side) to move between times in 3 hour increments. The time and date is indicated in the top right of the image, so "Valid Wed 17/07 21:00" means just what it says, that this slide is showing the current run's prediction for that time and date. 

If you set the two drop down boxes on the right in the same way, you can do comparisons between different runs, or different chart types on the same run. 

Hope this helps.

But try not to worry, it doesn't look like much will fall before the early afternoon Saturday, and still early days yet, it's all to play for, hopefully this gets delayed further to Sunday. Or held up North entirely by that North Atlantic low not dipping down so far. 🤞

Thanks a lot, extremely clear! Wish I hadn't asked now as the latest run shows rain plonked right over the venue virtually all day!

52 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Thanks a lot, extremely clear! Wish I hadn't asked now as the latest run shows rain plonked right over the venue virtually all day!

Latest run has the rain shifted North a touch and arriving in Bath a little later, not to mention it looks like much lighter rain in the area. Plus, look at those temperatures!!! I'm telling you... It's moving in the right direction... You've got this!!! 💪

🤞

(We all need to just will it to happen, like before the festival, to shift the weather for Hodgey's big day!!!)

36 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Latest run has the rain shifted North a touch and arriving in Bath a little later, not to mention it looks like much lighter rain in the area. Plus, look at those temperatures!!! I'm telling you... It's moving in the right direction... You've got this!!! 💪

🤞

(We all need to just will it to happen, like before the festival, to shift the weather for Hodgey's big day!!!)

Fingers crossed! We only need it not to rain between 14:00 and 16:00, everything else we can deal with...

On 7/16/2024 at 9:59 PM, hodgey123 said:

I’m getting married in Bath on Saturday. The weather beforehand is great, but the weather on the day looks in the balance with a 30-50% chance of some rain at some stage. Where are the GFS maps that @briddj shared in here from and is there any way I can get them online for Bath? 

Congratulations. Hope you are doing ok.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:14 AM, hodgey123 said:

Fingers crossed! We only need it not to rain between 14:00 and 16:00, everything else we can deal with...

How'd it go Hodgey? hoping it went well and you got some dry hours for those photos!!!

Was forecast to rain here, right up to the very hours they were forecasting rain for, but it never came at all, overcast at times, but a nice day all things considered. 

And congratulations again.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2024 at 10:59 PM, Alvoram said:

How'd it go Hodgey? hoping it went well and you got some dry hours for those photos!!!

Was forecast to rain here, right up to the very hours they were forecasting rain for, but it never came at all, overcast at times, but a nice day all things considered. 

And congratulations again.

It rained lightly on and off, but it didn't really impact the day much at all. The day before (19 July) was 30 degrees so I think everyone was slightly grateful it wasn't that hot on the day!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...