The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

Weeks of looking at the (frankly pointless) GFS pressure charts and jetstream and every year, all you need to do is wait for this graphic from the Met Office. They have the highest resolution of any model over the UK and don't mess about with fantasy. I do love the fact that every year, a few more people take an interest and learn a bit about meteorology. I'm happy to advise on the best socks & sandals combos.

Met Office FTW:

image.png.b273fed1cc987067dd69f15f0c948442.png

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Weeks of looking at the (frankly pointless) GFS pressure charts and jetstream and every year, all you need to do is wait for this graphic from the Met Office. They have the highest resolution of any model over the UK and don't mess about with fantasy. I do love the fact that every year, a few more people take an interest and learn a bit about meteorology. I'm happy to advise on the best socks & sandals combos.

Met Office FTW:

But if we don't have all this speculation and looking at runs all the time what will we do with our time? Do some work?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Not sure I would be as magnanimous about that penalty decision as folks on telly were. I'd probably riot

He was offside dude. I'm a Scots loving Scouser and was desperate for Robbo to go through. I thought it was a pen at full speed, then saw the reply and thought he'd pulled the Hungarian lad into him, so no pen, but then saw the knee in his leg...pen. Then there was a fair bit of chatter about the initial pass. Looks off, just about and that has to be the only logical explanation. 

8 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Met Office FTW:

Fuzzy Dunlop would be very proud...

9 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Met Office FTW:

🏼 What this dude said. Most of us live in the UK. We should know what the long range forecasts are like by now.

2 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Made me shudder watching that again.

I've watched it a number of times in the build up this year.  Just to reassure myself that even though its been wet and not the best start to the summer, it hasn't been as bad as 2016 

6 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

I heard this morning that BBC Bristol are advising people not to rely on their weather apps the models are too unreliable.......

That means they're all incorrect as they're all in broad agreement now.

7 minutes ago, donthaveacoolname said:

I heard this morning that BBC Bristol are advising people not to rely on their weather apps the models are too unreliable.......

Yeah cos like BBC Bristol are the experts on such things....

39 minutes ago, Superscally said:

He was offside dude. I'm a Scots loving Scouser and was desperate for Robbo to go through. I thought it was a pen at full speed, then saw the reply and thought he'd pulled the Hungarian lad into him, so no pen, but then saw the knee in his leg...pen. Then there was a fair bit of chatter about the initial pass. Looks off, just about and that has to be the only logical explanation. 

Maybe, I didn't realize offside was even in the equation to be fair as I was in the process of collecting my Chinese from the front door at the time and simultaneously reading the weather thread.

1 hour ago, devonhammer said:

Met Office FTW:

Hang it in the Louvre!

The German ICON is now out to Saturday and throws a bit of a fly in the ointment… the Beeb now have rain for next Saturday:

IMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.5b7c6c58d86dcd14bab003c85eb997e3.jpeg

and ICON shows why…. ECM keeps this little low out to the west where it fizzles out.  ICON 6z decides to bring it across the U.K. with its accompanying rain.  Even if it does come off, the rain won’t be too heavy by the looks. Worth keeping an eye on…

IMG_1980.jpeg.c5db6f18dfe444791b8d3c44a7565f3a.jpeg

Just now, Sheffield Steve said:

The German ICON is now out to Saturday and throws a bit of a fly in the ointment… the Beeb now have rain for next Saturday:

IMG_1979.thumb.jpeg.5b7c6c58d86dcd14bab003c85eb997e3.jpeg

and ICON shows why…. ECM keeps this little low out to the west where it fizzles out.  ICON 6z decides to bring it across the U.K. with its accompanying rain.  Even if it does come off, the rain won’t be too heavy by the looks. Worth keeping an eye on…

IMG_1980.jpeg.c5db6f18dfe444791b8d3c44a7565f3a.jpeg

And lo and behold, like all good rollercoasters, so begins the drop…