The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, Trunks1993 said:

This will be my 9th UK camping festival since 2012 (4th Glasto). Have only worn trainers to all of them I.e never had a bad weather festival. Thank you weather gods. 

Lucky.

Think I've said this elsewhere on this forum but for Reading 2011 I turned up for a day trip to see Muse play Origin in full and hadn't realised how wet the Friday and Saturday had been. The ground was basically all mud and the moshpit during Muse's first song was like a f**king ice rink.

doesnt take much to turn the ground sloppy ... id at least wear walking boots shoes in / then change to trainers .... boots do give better support with wood chip though and might help with not turning an ankle 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

doesnt take much to turn the ground sloppy ... id at least wear walking boots shoes in / then change to trainers .... boots do give better support with wood chip though and might help with not turning an ankle 

I'd echo this. Last year we arrived and it looked lovely so left the car wearing trainers with all our stuff. While queueing it rained, everything got slippy and we both managed to completely stack it before we got to putting our tent up. Had to spend the next few hours caked in mud wishing we'd just worn the walking boots that were still back in the car. 

3 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Lucky.

Think I've said this elsewhere on this forum but for Reading 2011 I turned up for a day trip to see Muse play Origin in full and hadn't realised how wet the Friday and Saturday had been. The ground was basically all mud and the moshpit during Muse's first song was like a f**king ice rink.

Yeah it's a mad streak. There's actually been soo many heatwave festivals in that list too - 2018 Bestival, 2019 Glasto, Lost Village 2022 and Glasto 2023 were all absolute scorchers.

2 minutes ago, Trunks1993 said:

Yeah it's a mad streak. There's actually been soo many heatwave festivals in that list too - 2018 Bestival, 2019 Glasto, Lost Village 2022 and Glasto 2023 were all absolute scorchers.

I *think* 2022 BoomTown went on record as the hottest ever UK festival as it was in the mid 30s solid for 5 days.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

I *think* 2022 BoomTown went on record as the hottest ever UK festival as it was in the mid 30s solid for 5 days.

Wouldn't surprise me. August 2022 had that day of 42 degree C heat where it felt like the air was burning.

5 minutes ago, Trunks1993 said:

Every streak that has a beginning has an end.

Though a 100% dry festival record would be pretty remarkable.

The 0z ECM has the feature that ICON has been showing moving across not too far to our north on Saturday.  We need that to stay where it is and not come south…

IMG_2012.jpeg.d5f283ffd480fc3ac247d0613748547c.jpeg

It also hints at the possibility of showers on Sunday….

IMG_2013.jpeg.90ea157118a3599de018d057b19e2817.jpeg

and the GEM still wants to give us rain for Sunday…but that has to be considered an outlier obviously…

IMG_2014.png.dd349bf981b2452f04f1553b7028ce1a.png

So we’re not completely out of the woods for the weekend but holding firm at the moment….

Well I've now left the house for the ferry. As usual I have a knackered pair of trainers on my feet and no other footwear with me. 

Solid work as always weather thread junkies. Big shout out to briddj, alvoram, Sheffield steve, AdrianH and the others doing the Lord's work.

Until next year (hopefully)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Well I've now left the house for the ferry. As usual I have a knackered pair of trainers on my feet and no other footwear with me. 

Solid work as always weather thread junkies. Big shout out to briddj, alvoram, Sheffield steve, AdrianH and the others doing the Lord's work.

Until next year (hopefully)

Safe journey mate, have a good one! 

• Like 1

It would have to be a Michael Fish level blunder to be anything other than trainers right now. The ground is a desert and rain forecasted won't have any effect on the site

I did the Ride London six years ago and on the Monday for the Sunday it was forecast to be high twenties and completely dry. 

What actually happened was the forecast changed on the Wednesday and it was torrential rain for 4 hours. Did not enjoy.

Just now, Little Thief said:

So is latest consensus to leave wellies

and all waterproofs at home?!

Pack a lightweight mac or poncho just in case, but for footwear trainers should be fine.

• Thanks 1

And I thought I'd been lucky with festival weather!  Including the smaller, local 1 day festivals I sometimes attend I think I've been to around 25 or so and only been to 3 that were wet/muddy.

7 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

And I thought I'd been lucky with festival weather!  Including the smaller, local 1 day festivals I sometimes attend I think I've been to around 25 or so and only been to 3 that were wet/muddy.

my luck is even crazier with day festivals…..been to one wash out ever - Field Day 2016. Ground was fine but was was torrential rain the whole day.

I’m getting married June next year - it’s going to be Noah’s ark isn’t it…..ha