The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

2 hours ago, Glasto Weatherwatch said:

Reason to be slightly wary of total celebration - UKV (Met Office) 03z run has a small band of thundery showers Saturday night. Very slim, and just one run, but per Alvoram's post one to keep an eye on in case it develops. 

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 8.57.31 AM.png

That's cos Coldplay will be on stage.

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Can’t do it. I’m wearing the boots. Don’t want to get cocky! I tried, but couldn’t do it. I even put the umbrella, a poncho and two rain jackets in to be sure to be sure!

Yep, wearing walking boots to get in, pack trainers to swap into when I get there. Rain coat and waterproof over-trousers also packed.

It's your PENULTIMATE full GFS review of 2024!

GATES OPEN & WEDNESDAY

Scorchio at 21-22.

image.thumb.png.1436bd83ad646e64e39afd071c4dbb70.png

Some light afternoon rain possible. Highs of 25.

Temperatures overnight into Thursday of 15.

image.thumb.png.f357aa70c6d7dc87906acd63b7ffd514.png

THURSDAY

Completely dry. Highs of 19.

Temperatures overnight into Friday of 12-13.

image.thumb.png.935350fcd7551b6a60b6157dd43449c9.png

Very similar, with that lower pressure pushing down and affecting temperatures. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.d1dbdf7113103876e045b65be50fe9bc.png

FRIDAY

Completely dry. Highs of 18-19.

Temperatures overnight into Saturday of 10-11.

image.thumb.png.2e2bc28cbbf6ce722a837c7a4523e299.png

Very similar, latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.5912bd7209910a1aa89cfa18e88f962c.png

SATURDAY

Dry. Highs of 19-20.

Temperatures overnight into Sunday of 12.

image.thumb.png.68d12fc5b4345a86cd9819eb784dff13.png

Pressure picture almost identical. Latest on the right.

image.thumb.png.298ca5eb00be6cbdf8fa70a8a978e6c7.png

SUNDAY

DOWNGRADE KLAXON! The GFS agrees with other models and now shows light rain through Thursday. Highs of just 14!!!!!

Temperatures overnight into Monday of 12.

image.thumb.png.621c04940e4901a212d2fb7376f8cfb8.png

And here you see why, the latest on the right has a low spin round and down across the UK.

image.thumb.png.85490ee0af79a7d302e6f780a14facbe.png

SUMMARY

A great run apart from Sunday, which appears to be in a degree of doubt at the moment.

We appear to have won the war, but is there a battle still to be fought?

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

doesnt take much to turn the ground sloppy ... id at least wear walking boots shoes in / then change to trainers .... boots do give better support with wood chip though and might help with not turning an ankle 

Especially if you're going to be carrying a heavy rucksack.

I'm going on the coach and gave my trainers to my mate whose going down today in a CV, so I have to wear my boots. Will also be taking my Birkenstocks, they were fine on the Sunday last year and easier on my feet - although they'll get really dirty.

1 hour ago, briddj said:

I did the Ride London six years ago and on the Monday for the Sunday it was forecast to be high twenties and completely dry. 

What actually happened was the forecast changed on the Wednesday and it was torrential rain for 4 hours. Did not enjoy.

I think I did it that year. I'd done it the 2 years previous and the weather had been great so didn't think to check the forecast, it was really grim - didn't stop raining until i'd done 80 miles.

Edited by Johnnyseven

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

There is now cross-model doubt for Sunday. We're not there yet.

Leaving tonight. Does that mean I still need walking boots or is it just a bit of rain so who cares?

I've been to every Glastonbury since 2002.....except 2010 and 2019....and I'll be at this one.

Those were the only 2 it's not rained at all at since 2002.

Just sayin' like.  Sorry.

Edited by parsonjack

16 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I've been to every Glastonbury since 2002.....except 2010 and 2019....and I'll be at this one.

Those were the only 2 it's not rained at all at since 2002.

Just sayin' like.  Sorry.

Did it rain last year?! 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Did it rain last year?! 

I don't remember rain in 2022 other than about 10 mins when there were a few spots of rain one day which prompted me to put my poncho on and then it never materialized.

11 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

I don't remember rain in 2022 other than about 10 mins when there were a few spots of rain one day which prompted me to put my poncho on and then it never materialized.

Leathered down before Sam Fender.

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I *think* 2022 BoomTown went on record as the hottest ever UK festival as it was in the mid 30s solid for 5 days.

That was absolutely scorching - I was there with Oxfam. There were a lot (a huge amount) of casualties of hot weather, drugs, booze, dehydration, all combining to make it tough verging on dangerous…..it was punishing. 

19 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Same, but I’ve seen the clips of IDLES and there’s definitely a decent amount (not sure where I was at the time, but I didn’t take my rain coat out of my bag all weekend). 

2023 I don’t think it rained at all. 

It's HOT on site!!!! Make sure you've got plenty of water for the queue people... the 'feel like' temperature is through the roof! Woohooo, you can officially leave your wellies at home I'm calling it!!!! 

Safe travels everyone! Thank you weather thread nutters, we did it! Cheers ☀️

20240625_124336.thumb.jpg.47181507a08f519c4a57262a8376d8f8.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Same, but I’ve seen the clips of IDLES and there’s definitely a decent amount (not sure where I was at the time, but I didn’t take my rain coat out of my bag all weekend). 

Can confirm, I got rained on in the pit, Joe had his poncho on, it was great!!