The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

15? Try 11c in Yorkshire today.

My house is very cold in general, my office heater was on this morning and it's June...

If I fall to sleep in my tent I'm going to die in the night! Just need to keep partying then lol

it's 20c in N.Kent today, we're off camping in the Lake District where apparently it's going to be around 8c at night. Camping at Glastonbury will feel like Southern Spain in comparison. 

7 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

it's 20c in N.Kent today, we're off camping in the Lake District where apparently it's going to be around 8c at night. Camping at Glastonbury will feel like Southern Spain in comparison. 

We camped glastonbury and then up to Keswick a few weeks ago. Very nice weather though it was fleeces on in the Lake District evenings. 

The latest somerset ensembles show fairly dry until 11th June. But from there much uncertainty with several runs pushing for rain. 

Still no clear signal either way at the moment for wet or dry. 

Screenshot_20240604_113203_Samsung Internet.jpg

From a BBC article about D-Day:

Group Captain Stagg believed a ridge of high pressure was building up from the Azores.

A ridge that would give a window of better weather.

And on 4 June, confirmation came from Belmullet when Ted Sweeney reported: “Heavy rain and drizzle cleared, cloud at 900 feet and visibility on land and sea very clear.”

At 04:15 on the morning of 5 June 1944, Eisenhower met with his senior staff and told them: “OK, We’ll go.”

Seems the Azores finger has been an obsession for a while

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Some consistency starting to develop as today's ensembles also show some rain around in the run up to the festival.  An improvement on yesterday's ensembles though. Less rain shown

Screenshot_20240605_085449_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Aragorn

3 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Some consistency starting to develop as today's ensembles also show some rain around in the run up to the festival.  An improvement on yesterday's ensembles though. Less rain shown

Screenshot_20240605_085449_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks like shower signals with the daily peaks.

In general though I'd say the ensembles are all over the place - +10c spread in 850s and anything from a 1005mb low to a 1030mb high by ~ 20 June.

I'm hoping some of the hints of high pressure building towards mid - end June become the dominant signal...but it's with the weather gods!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

I mean if anything it's more if June doesn't improve sharpish, we've got about 8 weeks of summer left and it's barely been 20c.

f**king shite. 

You can say that again. The various forecasters are seemingly pointing to a wetter June (& festival) than normal. No sign of any prolonged 20C+ dry spells.

11 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

swear i had hailstone here a few mins ago 

My grandsons football practice last night was abandoned as the hail was virtually horizontal, driven by a howling gale. 
at least it kept the midges away. 😊😉

1 minute ago, gherkin8r said:

Forgetting about Glastonbury altogether, if these weather conditions are to become our new norm (ie rain for the last 12 months) I'm going to strongly consider moving abroad.

Was in America for a lot of April and another few years of sh*t weather like this will have me living in New Orleans by 2030. Already looking at house prices. 

f**k this place. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Forgetting about Glastonbury altogether, if these weather conditions are to become our new norm (ie rain for the last 12 months) I'm going to strongly consider moving abroad.

I said this to the missus, Dad's moved to Gran Canaria in last 12 months and he says waking up knowing it'll be sunny every day is amazing. 

Last 12/18 months have been beyond grim. 

ECMWF are giving a higher than average chance of warmer weather during the festival but not much more than that right now. Multiple model runs are suggesting typical rain amounts with bang on average distribution of rain across those runs.

This time of year is difficult to forecast anyway but the models are really struggling at the moment. We're a long way from having any clue about this time next week let alone the festival.

4 hours ago, TiZuff said:

swear i had hailstone here a few mins ago 

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My grandsons football practice last night was abandoned as the hail was virtually horizontal, driven by a howling gale. 
at least it kept the midges away. 😊😉

Just got back from a walk, the middle section of which was ruined by an, I'd say, 30 minute hail storm. 

Sunny when I went out so didn't take gloves (why would I, it's f**king JUNE) and my hands were freezing by the time I got back

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Just got back from a walk, the middle section of which was ruined by an, I'd say, 30 minute hail storm. 

Sunny when I went out so didn't take gloves (why would I, it's f**king JUNE) and my hands were freezing by the time I got back

As long as it doesn’t head any further south I’m prepared to cope with it, until June is over! After than I need it nice in Keswick for a camping hol.

58 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

As long as it doesn’t head any further south I’m prepared to cope with it, until June is over! After than I need it nice in Keswick for a camping hol.

I mean I understand where you're coming from and I sort of agree but I do think not having hailstones is the very least we should expect

The latest model runs are not good - the UK stuck under a repeating cool/showery trough pattern which just won't leave us be! Luckily there is plenty of time for improvement still. Should have a general idea of weather for the festival in 2 weeks time (and even then it'll be only semi accurate).

Latest precipitation ensembles for Somerset in the build up to the Festival are messy. A good scattering of runs which tells us there is no indications of wet or dry at mo. 

Screenshot_20240606_080626_Samsung Internet.jpg

14 hours ago, AdrianH said:

The latest model runs are not good - the UK stuck under a repeating cool/showery trough pattern which just won't leave us be! Luckily there is plenty of time for improvement still. Should have a general idea of weather for the festival in 2 weeks time (and even then it'll be only semi accurate).

@Sheffield Steve SAVE US FROM THESE HEATHENS