The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

7 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

I'm getting really nervous about the weather now. Praying for the summer to kick in!

Try not to worry too much, as f**king annoying as it is. 

We can't control it can we?

I'm sure it'll turn soon, surellllyyyy

12 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Latest ensembles showing limited rain in the run up:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

That'll certainly help - Obviously rain over the weekend is never good - the fact the build up will be dry is very good. 

23 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

Latest ensembles showing limited rain in the run up:

GEFS Ensembles Chart

quite a spread on the pressure charts which is to be expected.  The mean of all runs has pressure closer to high than low on this run.  

The GFS charts will come into range in about 24 hours which is when the fun will begin 😄

image.thumb.png.3b42bcb7253c9297b4202d684120e887.png   

I think it’s fine atm, there’s not that much rain in the run up and the blocking pattern is bound to break at some point, hopefully just in time for the festival.  It can’t last forever.. 

5 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

I’m walking the 24 miles of the Yorkshire Three Peaks this Sunday/Monday.  Looks like I’m going to get some practice in with the mud.  ICON (German) has rain right over us all afternoon… bugger.

IMG_4349.thumb.jpeg.39a4c9ce9fde01d1bd3b120e24448964.jpeg

You don't deserve this Steve, please don't let it get you in a negative mindset. We need you. 

58 minutes ago, Sheffield Steve said:

I’m walking the 24 miles of the Yorkshire Three Peaks this Sunday/Monday.  Looks like I’m going to get some practice in with the mud.  ICON (German) has rain right over us all afternoon… bugger.

Taking one for the NFR NFC team!

TBF, I love hiking in the rain when I've got the wet weather gear on.  A good softshell jacket/trousers, waterproof boots and gaiters. 👍

14 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Noted 🤣

I'm just going to find my rubber dingy and some chains for my tyres 

He isn't - He's got shtick which is being a "doom-monger" "wind-up merchant"

That's all the notes you need. 

Am simultaneously checking weather for Edinburgh for Sunday ( Taylor Swift) and Pilton. So far it looks like nice in Edinburgh right up to the start of her set then rain for the whole 3.5 hours. I am ready to make my sacrifice to rainy Taylor for a dry Glastonbury. 😐

4 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Ironically we can and have. We are f**king the climate which in turn makes our weather more extreme.

I know what you mean though

I read this as "we (this forum) f**king are the climate" and thought it was the fact that we are all powerful and mental that it was going to be more extreme. 

Hell yeah!

3 hours ago, sedra said:

Am simultaneously checking weather for Edinburgh for Sunday ( Taylor Swift) and Pilton. So far it looks like nice in Edinburgh right up to the start of her set then rain for the whole 3.5 hours. I am ready to make my sacrifice to rainy Taylor for a dry Glastonbury. 😐

Same! 
See you there ☺️

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheffield Steve said:

Good luck, I did it 1 day a few years ago in similar conditions. I wasn't prepared for how treacherous it felt in the wind/rain and how much clambering it would require, but maybe I am just a wimp. Make sure you bring the appropriate gear!

• Upvote 1

First post in this thread but I'm a hoor for weather chat prior to a festival. Obviously still too far out to get any reasonable prediction. As a first timer who has never had to follow this before, what made 2016 so bad? Constant rain over the weekend? A very wet build up? Mix of both? And in the past few years where it has seemed glorious, has it been a case of solid good/dry weather for a week or two prior and of the festival itself or what?

8 minutes ago, LeFreak said:

First post in this thread but I'm a hoor for weather chat prior to a festival. Obviously still too far out to get any reasonable prediction. As a first timer who has never had to follow this before, what made 2016 so bad? Constant rain over the weekend? A very wet build up? Mix of both? And in the past few years where it has seemed glorious, has it been a case of solid good/dry weather for a week or two prior and of the festival itself or what?

The build up more than anything else.

The weather through the build (and for that matter break as well) wasn't great generally, but that was compounded when the weekend before the gates opened a crazy amount of rain fell in about half a day and the site flooded in places. The ground was completely saturated from the start - across the actual festival weekend it was mostly fine but not enough to dry things out.

Edited by incident
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, incident said:

The build up more than anything else.

The weather through the build (and for that matter break as well) wasn't great generally, but that was compounded when the weekend before the gates opened a crazy amount of rain fell in about half a day and the site flooded in places. The ground was completely saturated from the start - across the actual festival weekend it was mostly fine but not enough to dry things out.

I think the mud was actually worse because it was drying. It went from sloppy and horrible but you can actually get through that, to this thick gunk that when you were watching a band you sunk into it and couldn't move your feet. It was completely awful, and it was upto the top of your wellies in some places (SE Corner) 

But the real issue I had with 2016 (and rain in general) is that you simply can't sit down anywhere. It's f**king exhausting for five days of dancing, walking and moving and being on your feet the whole time - 16/ 18/ 20 hours a day or whatever it is. 

I also remember you couldn't even get up the Park without slipping down the hill. And then there's certain tents where it's just not fun to go in, so you end up changing your line up based on what's physical possible to do. 

All the lovely art work is brown and muddy, and you spend your whole time just slogging between acts, because you can't sit down, and it's wayyy more about the music. 

Also people tend to drink more/ do more drugs to get through it imo, which kind of changes the crowds a lot. Not always for the better either imo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

I think the mud was actually worse because it was drying. It went from sloppy and horrible but you can actually get through that, to this thick gunk that when you were watching a band you sunk into it and couldn't move your feet. It was completely awful, and it was upto the top of your wellies in some places (SE Corner) 

But the real issue I had with 2016 (and rain in general) is that you simply can't sit down anywhere. It's f**king exhausting for five days of dancing, walking and moving and being on your feet the whole time - 16/ 18/ 20 hours a day or whatever it is. 

I also remember you couldn't even get up the Park without slipping down the hill. And then there's certain tents where it's just not fun to go in, so you end up changing your line up based on what's physical possible to do. 

All the lovely art work is brown and muddy, and you spend your whole time just slogging between acts, because you can't sit down, and it's wayyy more about the music. 

Also people tend to drink more/ do more drugs to get through it imo, which kind of changes the crowds a lot. Not always for the better either imo. 

Yea, all of that plus if it's consistently wet and muddy it can all get a bit mentally draining, for me at least. I just start to feel sorry and sad for everyone that's put so much effort in.

But it's going to be perfect this year and "the best ever" again!

Edited by Cooter

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I've started bringing waterproof trousers for over my jeans every year since.  haven't had to use 'em yet thankfully. , 

Some hints in the ensembles of a pressure build around 20 June. About half the model runs seem to suggest this as a possibility, but there's a lot of spread.

Until then - cool/cold - with a further particularly unsettled spell starting around the 12/13 June.

Total guesswork, but purely from a probability point of view you'd think this horrendous spell of weather has to break sooner rather than later.