The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

10 hours ago, LeFreak said:

First post in this thread but I'm a hoor for weather chat prior to a festival. Obviously still too far out to get any reasonable prediction. As a first timer who has never had to follow this before, what made 2016 so bad? Constant rain over the weekend? A very wet build up? Mix of both? And in the past few years where it has seemed glorious, has it been a case of solid good/dry weather for a week or two prior and of the festival itself or what?

2016 was horrible. I consider myself a hardy person and have been going to Glastonbury since the mid 90s but that was the first year I just felt I couldn’t enjoy it. Getting anywhere took 3 times longer than normal so we missed so much. All our kit was caked in mud and there was nowhere to sit down you were on your feet all day. Having to eat standing up in mud with sore legs is grim. 
It felt dangerous in many areas as the usual flow of people was broken by impassable mud pits so you would see people slip over then get trampled. Finding anyone was so much harder as by the time you could get to where they were they had given up and moved.  It felt the mood of the festival was hampered too as by the Saturday everyone just seemed grumpy and fed up. Many events were cancelled as some pitches were just mud baths and some food vendors had to shut up shop as you couldn’t access their pitch. We gave up on everything on Sunday and just sat by our tent drinking all day which just felt pointless and heartbreaking.

17 minutes ago, Eks101 said:

2016 was horrible. I consider myself a hardy person and have been going to Glastonbury since the mid 90s but that was the first year I just felt I couldn’t enjoy it. Getting anywhere took 3 times longer than normal so we missed so much. All our kit was caked in mud and there was nowhere to sit down you were on your feet all day. Having to eat standing up in mud with sore legs is grim. 
It felt dangerous in many areas as the usual flow of people was broken by impassable mud pits so you would see people slip over then get trampled. Finding anyone was so much harder as by the time you could get to where they were they had given up and moved.  It felt the mood of the festival was hampered too as by the Saturday everyone just seemed grumpy and fed up. Many events were cancelled as some pitches were just mud baths and some food vendors had to shut up shop as you couldn’t access their pitch. We gave up on everything on Sunday and just sat by our tent drinking all day which just felt pointless and heartbreaking.

Oh man, felt like I was there just reading this. Absolutely gutting and totally understandable you felt that way! Very much hope that isn't what this year has in store.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Eks101 said:

I agree with most of this but I don't remember everyone being grumpy . There was definitely a bit of that and I'm not claiming everyone was bouncing (you couldn't, your feet were stuck) but there seemed more a 'f**k it, this is what we've got, let's get on and enjoy it as much a we can' vibe. I think there was a lot of just laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I agree with most of this but I don't remember everyone being grumpy . There was definitely a bit of that and I'm not claiming everyone was bouncing (you couldn't, your feet were stuck) but there seemed more a 'f**k it, this is what we've got, let's get on and enjoy it as much a we can' vibe. I think there was a lot of just laughing at the ridiculousness of it all.

Agreed. My resolve was strengthened by bumping into an old colleague who had two full legs when I last saw him and now had 1.5 legs and a prosthetic .5 of a leg thanks to an IED strike in Afghanistan. He kept going all festival and so did I.

It was hard work but some things are worth digging in for and a sense of perspective bringing to mind.

We actually laughed about how some people would do anything for an accessible camping spot.

Brexit was my only dampener. And still is 

34 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

2016 was fine compared to 2007 now that was bad especially the Sunday.

I was at both of these and at this year's rain f**ked Bearded Theory. I think I might be cursed by the rain gods.

The good news is that I failed to get tickets for this year's glasto, which means you'll all be fine enjoying the sun in shorts and flip flops.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I was at both of these and at this year's rain f**ked Bearded Theory. I think I might be cursed by the rain gods.

The good news is that I failed to get tickets for this year's glasto, which means you'll all be fine enjoying the sun in shorts and flip flops.

BT Was done for by that one day of very intense rain on Tuesday into Wednesday. Really challenging.

Still great though wasn't it! We got towed off the field Monday morning but reckon we only 15 mins behind schedule. Still home for 11.30

...and the site dodged a serious bullet on Sunday when the heavens seemed to open everywhere around the site but not on it!

Just bought earlybird tickets for next year's BT, so make sure you bring all your rain gear 😄

1 minute ago, Kurosagi said:

...and the site dodged a serious bullet on Sunday when the heavens seemed to open everywhere around the site but not on it!

Just bought earlybird tickets for next year's BT, so make sure you bring all your rain gear 😄

Same mate. We are locked in for it every year. My partner works at the on site school. A great festival 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

So you’re not going this year? Phew, thank f**k for that because you sound like one bad omen 😂

59 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

LCD Sunday night 2016 was one of the best Glastonbury nights !

2007 was by far THE worst Glastonbury I've been to weather wise. Horrendous from the moment we got there until the moment we left. I seriously considered giving it up after that. 

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

I agree with most of this but I don't remember everyone being grumpy 

Same, I thought that the year was characterised by people just deciding to have the best time they could regardless and didn't notice any moodiness. 

2 hours ago, Eks101 said:

I enjoyed it (probably as it was only my second time) but it was really a struggle. We didn't do as much as we couldn't get anywhere quickly. We just ended up getting drunk.

It was also really dangerous at times and I really hope the festival has made things safe as it only felt like luck that stopped serious injury. I remember I think going into Pennards toilets bottom of the hills people were slipping over in the mud and it was so close to a crush.

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

LCD Sunday night 2016 was one of the best Glastonbury nights !

2007 please don't remind me, still have nightmares 

I missed out on 2016 as it was one of the 4 years I didn’t go. But I got through the mud fests of 97/98 by getting totally spangled so I didn’t care, in 2007 I remember we hid in the pussy parlour most of one night just to block out any thoughts of the torrential rain and epic mud outside.  

I’m kind of worried that it feels like a long time since my last muddy year.. it would be such a shock after all the recent dry and hot ones where you can happily race around the site all day and night without a care in the world. 

19 minutes ago, Pipine said:

I missed out on 2016 as it was one of the 4 years I didn’t go. But I got through the mud fests of 97/98 by getting totally spangled so I didn’t care, in 2007 I remember we hid in the pussy parlour most of one night just to block out any thoughts of the torrential rain and epic mud outside.  

I’m kind of worried that it feels like a long time since my last muddy year.. it would be such a shock after all the recent dry and hot ones where you can happily race around the site all day and night without a care in the world. 

There is deffo a bit more mud anxiety this year than there has been in the last several and it will be a shock for us all. Just take the right footwear and a good coat and hat and we will be reet.  Keep the positive vibes. Glastonbury fitness is now deffo coming into focus!

It’s warm and sunny at the moment . Keep the faith gang … there’s a few onsite that can give us updates but that last report from sawdusty showed how quick things dry out and we’ve had mostly dry weather since 

Keep the faith people, just gone back on my 2023 Glasto Whatsapp group.

Literally this day last year I had screenshotted forecasts from various sites saying rain everyday.

On here this time last year, we were all very concerned about the forecast and The Nal was it up to his usual tricks.

Look at how it turned out! 

• Upvote 1