The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We'd have d@bbed up if it was this weekend.

I refuse to believe we can have weeks of shite, one week of great weather back into utter rubbish.

SURELLLYYYY

Didn’t we have this before a week out in 2019 - up and down like a yo-yo then alright in the end? Am packing the wellies, waterproofs and poncho along with the sun hat. 

1 minute ago, ramblingmad said:

Oh no, what a nightmare:(

In fairness they weren't nightmarish, just not amazing.

Showers and colder, would be a little less vibey but not nightmare territory.

• Upvote 1

Even the day before the festival is too early to be accurate for the whole festival. Just prepare for all eventualities and what will be will be. Keep fingers crossed for a dry one and try to make weather gods sacrifices when you can though obviously!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sedra said:

Didn’t we have this before a week out in 2019 - up and down like a yo-yo then alright in the end? Am packing the wellies, waterproofs and poncho along with the sun hat. 

I say this every year, and not directed at you, but letting the weather forecast influence your packing to the degree that you're not prepared with gear for either wet weather or sun is amateur hour coded.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Jacko45 said:

In fairness they weren't nightmarish, just not amazing.

Showers and colder, would be a little less vibey but not nightmare territory.

Yes I'd say we have pretty much avoided a 2016 situation already. The forecasts seem a bit more 2011-2015 territory which is mixed bag rather than total shitshow. If it's raining I would like temps to be a little warmer.

Just now, northernringo said:

What time is the next run? I'm simply ignoring this morning's...

Isn't it usually around midday?

If they concur then I'm reasonably concerned it's getting too close to be wildly incorrect

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I'd say we have pretty much avoided a 2016 situation already. The forecasts seem a bit more 2011-2015 territory which is mixed bag rather than total shitshow. If it's raining I would like temps to be a little warmer.

Yeah the fields have had 7+ days of glorious sun and breeze by time of gates open, so a mud bath becomes increasingly unlikely.

3 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Isn't it usually around midday?

If they concur then I'm reasonably concerned it's getting too close to be wildly incorrect

The problem is everything around at the moment is unsettled and changeable if we had a huge band of either high or low pressure and it had been hanging around for a while and there was no sign of it moving then maybe you could put some stock in it but every expert I have seen talk about it says that's not what we have at the moment. Currently it's highly changeable. I think even by Monday night we won't have much certainty. It's a year when you need to be prepared for what happens. Pack sunblock, walking boots/wellies/layers of clothing and waterproofs.

8 minutes ago, sedra said:

In 2022, on the first day on the festival, the predicted weather for the five days was:

SUNNY / THUNDERSTORMS / LIGHT RAIN / RAIN / RAIN

In the end, it was sunny all five days, no thunderstorm, with just a little drizzle on the Friday late afternoon, and early one morning while most people were asleep anyway - ground dry by the time I got up at 8am.

I've been going every year since 2017 and haven't ever taken wellies.  I look at the GFS pressure and precipitation charts - which are vaguely a good indication for the five days.  Plus the predicted rainfall on Accuweather.  1mm of rain predicated on Accuweather is nothing, but sometimes that warrants a rain symbol on the BBC weather page, which can be misleading!

• Upvote 1