The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

6 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Yeah the fields have had 7+ days of glorious sun and breeze by time of gates open, so a mud bath becomes increasingly unlikely.

I got a video reminder of what we were dealing with in 2016 a few days ago. Where I live flooded and there were rivers going down roads that barely have a puddle today.

4 minutes ago, CR77 said:

In 2022, on the first day on the festival, the predicted weather for the five days was:

SUNNY / THUNDERSTORMS / LIGHT RAIN / RAIN / RAIN

In the end, it was sunny all five days, no thunderstorm, with just a little drizzle on the Friday late afternoon, and early one morning while most people were asleep anyway - ground dry by the time I got up at 8am.

I've been going every year since 2017 and haven't ever taken wellies.  I look at the GFS pressure and precipitation charts - which are vaguely a good indication for the five days.  Plus the predicted rainfall on Accuweather.  1mm of rain predicated on Accuweather is nothing, but sometimes that warrants a rain symbol on the BBC weather page, which can be misleading!

yep, been going since 2019. every year I’ve been it’s looked like a washout literally up to the point I’ve left my house. Next Mondays forecast for gates opening. Gates opening forecast for the weekend. All else is just theatre (and potential trends)

• Like 1

Nothing is written off yet. We've got good consistency up until about Sunday/Monday now which is when the high pressure ridge builds in. What happens after that is on a bit of a knife edge - the path of the low pressure systems is critical.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Prepare for all possible ground and weather conditions but hope for the best. Always the Glastonbury way. The closer the festival gets ironically the more cautious I become.  

My mate in 2011 (because 2010 was amazing) didn't wrap any of his clothes or sleeping bag in anything waterproof. So our walk to Pennards and set-up on the Wed morning was TORRENTIAL downpours - all his stuff in his bag got soaked.
Wet sleeping bag for a day or two.
Schoolboy error.

Prep for the worst.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I say this every year, and not directed at you, but letting the weather forecast influence your packing to the degree that you're not prepared with gear for either wet weather or sun is amateur hour coded.

Yep - always pack for all weathers including cold nights! Been going long enough to have experienced all weathers- sometimes just in one weekend! Always keep a spare dry clothes pack in car as well 😀

40 minutes ago, CR77 said:

In 2022, on the first day on the festival, the predicted weather for the five days was:

SUNNY / THUNDERSTORMS / LIGHT RAIN / RAIN / RAIN

In the end, it was sunny all five days, no thunderstorm, with just a little drizzle on the Friday late afternoon, and early one morning while most people were asleep anyway - ground dry by the time I got up at 8am.

I've been going every year since 2017 and haven't ever taken wellies.  I look at the GFS pressure and precipitation charts - which are vaguely a good indication for the five days.  Plus the predicted rainfall on Accuweather.  1mm of rain predicated on Accuweather is nothing, but sometimes that warrants a rain symbol on the BBC weather page, which can be misleading!

To be fair you have had a really lucky run there. You would def have needed wellies in 2005 (floods) or 2007 (the year of deep, liquid mud) and also 2011 and 2016 would have been very difficult without wellies. 

Just checked the 2023 thread and around this time, it looked absolutely identical to this.

There's a some beautiful forecasts, then the next day a random outlier that says the worlds ending.

We can only hope once again. 

13 minutes ago, Miathedog said:

To be fair you have had a really lucky run there. You would def have needed wellies in 2005 (floods) or 2007 (the year of deep, liquid mud) and also 2011 and 2016 would have been very difficult without wellies. 

2016 was difficult with wellies. Would have been easier in bare feet in that sticky mud. 

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

There's certainly more ensembles showing a potentially warm/thundery solution - but the precipitation spikes are still mostly quite flat...more runs needed as usual!

Do we noooo like thundery. 

Met Office (still not in range for local forecast)

UK long range weather forecast

Sunday 23 Jun - Tuesday 2 Jul

Predominantly fine and settled through the period and for much of the country turning much warmer than we have seen in recent weeks. At first some thicker cloud could bring some outbreaks of mostly light rain, this mainly affecting western, especially northwestern areas. However for most it will be dry throughout, and likely to turn increasingly warm as we move into next week. There is a chance that this could persist for much of the rest of the period, turning increasingly hot, however by mid-next week we see a large range of outcomes. some of which allow for a return of much cooler conditions and northerly winds for the latter part of next week. However the trend toward much warmer conditions is preferred for now.

4 minutes ago, devonhammer said:

On the pressure ensembles, the operational is a total outlier

GEFS Ensembles Chart

It's even funny how on the 1st Jul it has a complete drop in pressure, I'm not putting much stock in this op run (at least until 10:30 😬