The Weather Thread 2024

airwaves

26 minutes ago, GeorgeI said:

Forgive my ignorance but how can it go from this positive to it's going to be horrendous in the space of 12 hours?

Is this guy using different data to you or does it change that quick?

There have been two new runs since then. They happen every six hours. And can change everything.

If Gav did an update now, it would be as in this thread. He is using the same charts.

8 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Question for the meteorological Poindexters: is there something about the geographical location of the UK that makes predicting the weather such a nightmare? Almost every other country I've been to, weather forecasts seem to be much more consistent and reliable. Over here it literally changes by the hour, often swinging from heatwave to biblical rain in a heartbeat 

If I can (mis)remember my A level Geography, it's because the UK is affected by wind or weather coming in from four or five different directions.

Polar maritime / polar continental 

Something else and something else from the south.

And maybe another one.

1 hour ago, Euphoricape said:

It poured down last year on the Wednesday. I had to set up my tent when it was torrential. I was however in trainers for the entire festival and rhe ground was fine the entire time.

Yes I arrived Friday morning and was not a patch of mud. 

I'll take the flack for this one guys, been wearing my new walking boots to wear them in before the festival...

But after some stunning runs, thought I'd switch it up and wear my old trainers today, get my feet settled into those. 

Back to walking boots tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, briddj said:

There have been two new runs since then. They happen every six hours. And can change everything.

If Gav did an update now, it would be as in this thread. He is using the same charts.

And GFS is often thought to be a less reliable system and changes all the time - the fact that ECM and UKMO are also showing same trend overnight is what is really prompting the panic. If they were sticking positive, we could ignore the GFS runs. 

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Position of Jet Stream, knife-edge, rollercoaster, Azores finger, Atlantic low, ebb & flow, ECM, GFS, UKMO....

"...And I decline!,....it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"

first draft of "End of the World" by R.E.M needed some work.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 9

Still time to make a few more weather god sacrifices. My personal contribution being accidentally snapping my sunglasses last week and holding out on the temptation to buy a fresh and black tent.

I think its still really important to note though that we are still in unreliable timeframes.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are still 9, 10 & 11 days away and with any forecasting at those timeframes its just too volatile and uncertain. For all we know in 3 days time the GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM & ICON could all be forecasting 30º weather across those days. The models are constantly falling in & out of agreement! 

Also, as wonderful as it is looking at the ops runs, the ensembles often tell of a bigger picture. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Physical_graffiti said:

fantastic last run. Follows the warm and dry trend, and as it's impossible to predict specific weather a week in advance, I'm totally ignoring wednesday, which is just the model attention seeking because it has a sad little life. 

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 13.42.25.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GeorgeI said:

Forgive my ignorance but how can it go from this positive to it's going to be horrendous in the space of 12 hours?

Is this guy using different data to you or does it change that quick?

Oh Jesus Gav's escaped from Broadmoor!

image.thumb.png.b1172bac01dd33970ddf78159c527c14.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Ive always dreaded setting up a tent in the pissing wet rain, and finally had to do so at Bearded Theory - and you know what, it really wasnt that bad at all. It concentrated my efforts at getting the bloody thing up in quick time, but when it was the majority of bits to do can all be done inside the tent, and it was absolutely fine.

So the worst case scenario happened, and it wasnt that bad!?!? 

I was the same until I had to set up two tents in the pouring rain at EOTR last year; my mate was in plaster. I knew it would be wet so dressed accordingly. Head down and went for it. Probably quickest I’ve done it. 

1 minute ago, SighMo said:

I was the same until I had to set up two tents in the pouring rain at EOTR last year; my mate was in plaster. I knew it would be wet so dressed accordingly. Head down and went for it. Probably quickest I’ve done it. 

Our family tent is f**king massive and had to pitch it in torrential rain last summer. Never want to do that again. I also have someone else's tent with me this year that I need to pitch after carrying in. Ideally some nice cool, overcast and dry weather but just not heavy rains would be good enough.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Question for the meteorological Poindexters: is there something about the geographical location of the UK that makes predicting the weather such a nightmare? Almost every other country I've been to, weather forecasts seem to be much more consistent and reliable. Over here it literally changes by the hour, often swinging from heatwave to biblical rain in a heartbeat 

Been happening ever since Brexit.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

To quote Andy and Lance from the detectorists,  every man should have a shed😉

indeed. 

I have a garage - Bikes, Car parts and “good” tools only! It’s got posters and motorsport banners everywhere and a single stool so I can stare at my bikes with a J. 

All shite in deep storage, gardening stuff & “boring” tools (diy stuff) gets piled up in my decrepit shed. 

Edited by bennyboi
  • Upvote 1