Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Yep sorry @philipsteak I have been busy (busy being more active so hopefully all good!)so haven't had time to update on my progress. At the end of August I lost another 4.4lb's so up to 51.8 lb's lost in total. The loss is slowing down as is to be expected as I get towards not having as much to lose. My average steps for the year is 18,479 now which I am pretty pleased with. Especially pleased with it given that work has been pretty busy and stressful at times and whilst I would say there has been a couple of days where my diet has suffered as a result it's definitely better than I would previously have been where I'd have been grabbing crisps and chocolate to give me the energy to deal with the craziness!

Currently also decorating our hall, stairs and landing which has been an added calorie burn in this heat!

Well done on the weight loss gigpusher. And that's some step count. I'm not getting anywhere near that average. I tend to favour getting out in to the fells for a big hike on my days off. I do still get out on work days but not as much as you. After a bit of a post Glastonbury (and sh*t weather) lull I've been ticking off the  Wainwrights at a decent rate. Up to 78 now and that includes some of the biggies (prior to May it had taken me 10 years to do 12! Although I did do some repeatedly). Trying to get them all is a good extra motivator, and helps with planning routes. 

Read yesterday about a guy who is going to complete his 60th full round on Saturday. 60! Think a load of people are planning on going up with him. Would quite liked to have gone myself but I'll be working. Completed his first round in 1971.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Well done on the weight loss gigpusher. And that's some step count. I'm not getting anywhere near that average. I tend to favour getting out in to the fells for a big hike on my days off. I do still get out on work days but not as much as you. After a bit of a post Glastonbury (and sh*t weather) lull I've been ticking off the  Wainwrights at a decent rate. Up to 78 now and that includes some of the biggies (prior to May it had taken me 10 years to do 12! Although I did do some repeatedly). Trying to get them all is a good extra motivator, and helps with planning routes. 

Read yesterday about a guy who is going to complete his 60th full round on Saturday. 60! Think a load of people are planning on going up with him. Would quite liked to have gone myself but I'll be working. Completed his first round in 1971.

60 full rounds wow that's quite some going. Yep I just incorporate the walking into my everyday. 2 dogs walks (1 of which is usually at a snails pace with my older girl) and then we try and get out for an additional walk as well.

Would like to do some proper hill walking but as our old girl can't come with us (too much for her) and the drive there and back is too long to leave her so we just tend to walk around where we live or when we go into Manchester we walk to and from the train station (20 minute walk each way) and then walk around as well.

Here's hoping for a mild Winter so that we can get out during the dark months!!

3 hours ago, Skip997 said:

What's that in "new money", i.e. kg?

2 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

23.5 bags of sugar 

Crazyfool has kindly answered for me. Sorry I tend to flit between old money and new money depending on what I started with so for example my dogs weight I have always known in kgs so always use that where as I was always weight in stones and lb's so stick with that.

I'm exactly the same with miles and kilometers. I tend to walk in kilometers but ask how far we're going in miles 😄

For added context my dogs weigh 17.2 kg and 20.5kg so I have lost more than a dog and these are the dogs.

IMG_20211107_104635.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Crazyfool has kindly answered for me. Sorry I tend to flit between old money and new money depending on what I started with so for example my dogs weight I have always known in kgs so always use that where as I was always weight in stones and lb's so stick with that.

I'm exactly the same with miles and kilometers. I tend to walk in kilometers but ask how far we're going in miles 😄

For added context my dogs weigh 17.2 kg and 20.5kg so I have lost more than a dog and these are the dogs.

IMG_20211107_104635.jpg

Whereas I hike in miles but measure my elevation climbed during that hike in metres, just to really confuse matters.

59 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Same here. I rock climb in metres, because route descriptions are given in metres and rope is sold by the metre.

I don't even have that level of logic as I'm not even climbing, just hiking. No idea why but elevation in metres just makes more sense to me. If I see a route has a 1000 metres of elevation (or multiples or fractions of) I know what that is and how hard it's going to be. 3000 (or whatever) feet just doesn't work the same in my brain

had my ultrasound  and its not a hernia .... thank f**k for that .... I can now stop worrying that exercise might cause something to pop out and can start to think that I might not need to give up tickets if im lucky enough to get them . really need to start my stretching again to help my back though 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, Crazyfool01 said:

had my ultrasound  and its not a hernia .... thank f**k for that .... I can now stop worrying that exercise might cause something to pop out and can start to think that I might not need to give up tickets if im lucky enough to get them . really need to start my stretching again to help my back though 

I'm sure you've heard it loads of times, but i'd recommend yoga.

yoga has been transformative for my back - i've had previous issues cos i sit at a desk for about half my working day, and on my days off have a propensity for great big long hikes- so my leg muscles are big and spectacularly inflexible. Since starting yoga a couple of years ago its worked wonders for my lower back, i no longer have any issues with it at all, and my flexibility has much improved but is still fairly disastrous 😄 the vagaries of being a big tall bloke i suppose! 

summary: yoga 👍  

23 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I'm sure you've heard it loads of times, but i'd recommend yoga.

yoga has been transformative for my back - i've had previous issues cos i sit at a desk for about half my working day, and on my days off have a propensity for great big long hikes- so my leg muscles are big and spectacularly inflexible. Since starting yoga a couple of years ago its worked wonders for my lower back, i no longer have any issues with it at all, and my flexibility has much improved but is still fairly disastrous 😄 the vagaries of being a big tall bloke i suppose! 

summary: yoga 👍  

I have heard it … either that or Pilates and I’ve never quite worked out the difference … I just feel I’d be utterly out of place in one of those classes 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Walked up Walla Crag near Keswick yesterday. thought we were doing well as it’s bit of an uphill trek until two lads passed us on bikes charging up the hill😊😉

I've had that going up Skiddaw before now.

Was right near the top too and they just went powering past me

3 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I have heard it … either that or Pilates and I’ve never quite worked out the difference … I just feel I’d be utterly out of place in one of those classes 

I thought that too before I started going, but it widens the social circle, puts me out of my comfort zone, and just refreshes the weekly routine nicely. I have also had to reduce my cynical distrust of anything a bit woo and mystical too! (To be fair I had to do that when I started going to Glastonbury too, and now I’m very happy to be one of those early morning yoga types in the green fields, whereas previously I’d be a bit snotty at those sorts of shenanigans)  I think it’s worth a bash 👍

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I did PIlates classes and at first felt exactly like you but honestly the group was entirely mixed abilities and it did do wonders for me. Sadly my gym membership is one of the things that had to go in recent cost of living crisis. The way they were running the gym post covid made it much harder for me to get to and I wasn't really getting the value for money that I used to but the pilates classes I really miss.

• 2 weeks later...

Also loving the Yoga. Been at it for about a year now and really feeling better for it.  I have tried it on and off for about ten years and never committed but finally I have clicked and sometimes do 2 classes a week. I am stronger, more flexible, less achey, more relaxed and losing weight. FTW

This Pius the only diet with any longevity and not likely to lead to an imbalance of some description..  

Eat less and move more.

Feeling a positive 54 at the moment 

• Upvote 1

Since feeling gross at Kendall Calling I've been doing lots of (responsible) wild camping and hiking as well as, more recently, watching the diet too.. Fallen in love with Dartmoor, and obviously spending lots of time up in the local Peak District too. 

So far I've lost 16lb but that was after a long period of self destruction, so it isn't really a loss....

Gonna get a bit cold (and windy) to be camping on top of hills soon though...  😕 

1859847804_IMG_4599(1).thumb.jpg.be4f9b013790d69d36aaadfbb4703721.jpg

IMG_1740.thumb.jpg.6bd15611dcd53afec97a1a4d977c4f4a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Since feeling gross at Kendall Calling I've been doing lots of (responsible) wild camping and hiking as well as, more recently, watching the diet too.. Fallen in love with Dartmoor, and obviously spending lots of time up in the local Peak District too. 

So far I've lost 16lb but that was after a long period of self destruction, so it isn't really a loss....

Gonna get a bit cold (and windy) to be camping on top of hills soon though...  😕 

1859847804_IMG_4599(1).thumb.jpg.be4f9b013790d69d36aaadfbb4703721.jpg

IMG_1740.thumb.jpg.6bd15611dcd53afec97a1a4d977c4f4a.jpg

Gorgeous photos and well done

• Like 1