Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

I did a 25k run yesterday with a bit still left in the tank.

But that will be it for the long runs. Can't risk an injury at this point.

Hope you all heal up over the next week.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EavisAintDead said:

I've never been this consistent with any training before but getting pretty good at doing my 15k steps a day and feeling really good for it. Also averaging 90m of elevation a day so getting to the Glastonbury sign should be no bother

image.thumb.jpeg.94e47c7d4fd0613369e335f95ecbdde2.jpeg

Must be fairly flat where you are.  When I walk or cycle round here, there's at least 1,000ft of elevation every 10 miles.  My last 12.5 mile walk (25,000 steps) had over 400 metres of ascent in it!

7 hours ago, Sitruc97 said:

Will carry on going to gym and getting steps in till next week, however i've stopped playing our 5-a-side team as of last week. Only takes a twist or knock to ruin the festival, not worth the risk.

Very wise. I've stopped using the upstairs of my house. You can never be too careful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to a 16km swim safari last week, Strava says I'm the fittest I've ever been 🥳

One more run tomorrow, long swim on Wed or Thur then tapering (mostly cos I just have too much to do). Hoping it makes a difference although swimming famously not that good at preparing the legs! 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mike A said:

I did a 25k run yesterday with a bit still left in the tank.

But that will be it for the long runs. Can't risk an injury at this point.

Good on you 👍

I did a trail run yesterday and took it very carefully as it dawned on me, one missed tree root could mean disaster 

No intense training update from me but have just bagged some New Balance trainers for the dry times (and walking boots for any pesky rain and mud!) I'm a very high-arched supinator so really struggle with rolling out and pain on the sides of my feet with running and long distances of walking without the right support.

Colour is a bit risky for their first time out being Glasto but right size, comfort and a solid price so hopefully I can maintain the aesthetic post-Worthy Farm! Got some hilarious little raincoat boots for them if needed. 

Edited by woyski

20 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Must be fairly flat where you are.  When I walk or cycle round here, there's at least 1,000ft of elevation every 10 miles.  My last 12.5 mile walk (25,000 steps) had over 400 metres of ascent in it!

I walk up the Tor every two days so not particularly flat.. maybe I'm trusting my Garmin too much as it definitely isn't flat but I'm not consulting my OS maps every time I leave the house either haha

Edit: Just mapped my normal Tor walk and it's 170m of elevation so there's a chance the average is slightly off but not by any more than 20% or so 

Edited by EavisAintDead

24 minutes ago, woyski said:

Go intense training update from me but have just bagged some New Balance trainers for the dry times (and walking boots for any pesky rain and mud!) I'm a very high-arched supinator so really struggle with rolling out and pain on the sides of my feet with running and long distances of walking without the right support.

Colour is a bit risky for their first time out being Glasto but right size, comfort and a solid price so hopefully I can maintain the aesthetic post-Worthy Farm! Got some hilarious little raincoat boots for them if needed. 

Watch out for the wood chips in some parts of the site, then.
Easy to turn an ankle walking on that stuff.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Watch out for the wood chips in some parts of the site, then.
Easy to turn an ankle walking on that stuff.

100%, always have to be careful on those pesky things! Thankfully I don't tend to twist my ankle too much, but more my gait pattern can lead to that longer term pain. Not fun!

24 minutes ago, woyski said:

100%, always have to be careful on those pesky things! Thankfully I don't tend to twist my ankle too much, but more my gait pattern can lead to that longer term pain. Not fun!

There are some posture exercises that can help wake your feet up and reduce the need for the support 

Posture Ellie is the coach I use but full transparency, she is married to one of my best friends so feel free to do your own research. Her foot and ankle exercises could really help but also it could be linked to pelvis alignment or even as high as shoulders etc. She's on youtube if you wanted to give it a try

• Like 1