Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

Just now, AVALON.G said:

So there was no problem with me suggesting that the solution  to your problem was you finding it within your self to accept there are flags at Glastonbury???

It seems like the only positive solution to your problem 

Why do you love flags so much?

Genuinely interested why people wanting some rules to help others - including people with physical issues and disabilities - to see the stage has wound you up so much?

Edited by strummer77

3 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

I dont I'm I'm indifferent to them.

My only point is theres going to be flags like it or not...

So you might aswell just accept it and move on. 

Well I think it’s easy enough to imagine a situation where they look to reduce the negative impact of them on others. 

10 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Well I think it’s easy enough to imagine a situation where they look to reduce the negative impact of them on others. 

Yeah but "imagine" will be as far as it goes. 

I can't perceive any situation where there will not be flags at Glastonbury 

10 minutes ago, AVALON.G said:

Yeah and if you read the thread or the poll then you’ll see most people aren’t suggesting a situation where there are no flags at Glastonbury. 

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Yeah and if you read the thread or the poll then you’ll see most people aren’t suggesting a situation where there are no flags at Glastonbury. 

Lol I think I'm starting to realise efestivals is for the more miserable Glastonbury fans 

5 hours ago, AVALON.G said:

Honestly the flags debate is tired....  there will be flags they did a vote and the majority of people voted in favour. 

The way I see it if you dont like flags you have 3 options

1) continue to be made unhappy by flags

2) work on yourself to find a way to become tolerant of flags

3) stop going to Glastonbury choose a festival without flags. 

Option 2 works out best. But each to there own. 

No point harbouring any expectation  that flags or rules around them are gonna change 

1.  Their poll was 14 years ago and the result was not massive - 55/45.
2.  There are quite a few more than there were at that time.
3.  It wasn't being targeted for guerrilla marketing back then as it is now - I believe there are a lot more hours of TV coverage now than in 2009.
4.  As with every other thread in here which has been updated during the last week, it's simply a place where people are expressing their opinions about their experiences - if you went and enjoyed them good for you, there's a poll above and hopefully you've had your say.

On 7/1/2023 at 10:25 PM, AVALON.G said:

I could not perceive any situation where you could not actually smoke inside the tents when they first said it. 
I could not perceive No Chinese lanterns… 

If the festival say they don’t want flags or to limit them in some way it will empower people to have a word with the flag bearer next to them and slowly over a few years they will dwindle to none. 

9 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Reading + Leeds have a no flag policy and by the looks of things here, it's adhered to.

Arena based festivals with fun police on the outside stopping people bringing anything into the area where the music is. 

Also bit hard holding on to a flag and your mate whose over done it on ket again. You need the free hand. 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, ICGenie said:

And for Elton John I often couldn’t see the screens for flags either…

Get rid of them change them for something smaller and funnier.. Some bloke on face book has asked if anyone saw his don't be a dick flag 

The dickhead 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Arena based festivals with fun police on the outside stopping people bringing anything into the area where the music is. 

Yeah, everybody there looked like they were having a terrible time. And it was the Arctic Monkeys....

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I'd rather they weren't banned outright though, they've been part of the experience since I first started going 20 years ago. I feel removing them would sanitise the festival a little.

Hear this sort of thing a lot, but is it really true? If anything the festival has become more sanitised as flags appeared.

Was David Bowie's set in 2000 worse because everyone could see him? Did Radiohead 97 fall flat because they saw Thom Yorke instead of a bloke with a 6 foot 'Nando's Medium Spice' flag.

There are a few flags in the photo below, but hardly any and not forming a wall down the front. 

2_1.webp.afd39d4fadd5dcef5c5353f5ddd46e1f.webp

Edited by strummer77
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

Hear this sort of thing a lot, but is it really true? If anything the festival has become more sanitised as flags appeared.

True, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with flags.

More a general upping of Health and Safety, a change in the crowd demographic, etc

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

True, but I'm not sure it has anything to do with flags.

More a general upping of Health and Safety, a change in the crowd demographic, etc

But that's sort of my point, I don't think the festival is more sanitised if flag numbers go down. It's not related.

The West Holts has hardly any flags - enough further back for visuals but not enough to block sight lines - and the atmospheres are great.