What have you done to get ready for Glastonbury 24 ?

Crazyfool01

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I controversially think that walking boots shouldn't need breaking in. If you go on a walk and they are not comfortable then I don't think you can magically make them comfortable. What you do need to do is try and replicate some of the conditions to check the comfort level so walking up and down a shop or a street isn't the same as walking over uneven ground and wearing them for 10 minutes isn't the same as wearing them for 10 hours.

If you buy new ones just make sure you have time to do a decent hike (at least 90 minutes-ish) over rough terrain wearing the kind of socks etc that you intend to wear at the festival. Any shoes or boots that I have bought have always either felt comfortable from the off or the issues they have had have never gone away. I have about 3 pairs of walking shoes that I can only wear for about an hour or 2 before they start having issues. I use them for shorter dog walks at home. I'd never bring them to the festival.

2 schools of thought here.

Old school leather boots need breaking in a bit.  IMO about 5-6 decent walks to soften the leather where the boots need to flex.  Some leather creams help with this.

Boots which are technical fabrics should be good to go from the outset.  If they're not comfy out of the box, don't by them.

I've got wide feet (almost Hobbit wide) so that's crucial for me.  I find Hi-Tec and Saloman fit me best, especially if I go a 1/2 size up for thick socks.  My current boots (Hi-Tec) aren't leather and were comfy from the outset.  Walked 12.5 miles last weekend in them no bother.

14 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

2 schools of thought here.

Old school leather boots need breaking in a bit.  IMO about 5-6 decent walks to soften the leather where the boots need to flex.  Some leather creams help with this.

Boots which are technical fabrics should be good to go from the outset.  If they're not comfy out of the box, don't by them.

I've got wide feet (almost Hobbit wide) so that's crucial for me.  I find Hi-Tec and Saloman fit me best, especially if I go a 1/2 size up for thick socks.  My current boots (Hi-Tec) aren't leather and were comfy from the outset.  Walked 12.5 miles last weekend in them no bother.

Even with leather ones you can gets ones with a padded heel now to avoid that. One of my current pairs of walking boots was leather and they were perfect from day 1. I just think that view that they might get better is probably why lots of people have lots of unused shoes and boots in their wardrobes.

I do think that you shouldn't have to suffer first. Nothing worse than out hiking or trudging around the festival in pain. I'm the same as you wide feet and trying shoes on that pinch in places etc is just not good.

Aeropress arrived and has been tested. Happy days. I've also taken delivery of a Mac in a Pac and some new larger sized walking boots to appease the weather gods. 

Husband has had delivery of a new gear knob for the van and booked in to have a reverse camera and new stereo fitted. We'll be able to switch to the leisure battery and listen to Worthy FM while we wait for the gates to open. 

Sorted out an eSim for work and just so happens to be one that is Vodafone and has unlimited data, convenient. Haha. 

I also started packing all my festival clothing sequins and the suchlike. The things that won't get worn between now and heading off. 

23 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

All go today … new cool box has arrived . This will go in the works walk in freezer with some added water and be taken out late afternoon the day before departure and wrapped in space blankets 

BC16199B-F251-4270-B185-EADA16582ECA.jpeg

Have the same one, it's very good.   Sadly, no walk in cold store to keep in prior to travel!

34 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Have the same one, it's very good.   Sadly, no walk in cold store to keep in prior to travel!

Good for 3 days then ? Hopefully should be better as it’ll be one big lump of ice 

i leave for the UK on the 18th. 

wringing my hands about what to pack, clothing wise.  would prefer to travel light, but the weather seems to be a bit mercurial and I may have to come prepared for it all.  have made two piles of clothes - blistering hot and 17C. 

14 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Good for 3 days then ? Hopefully should be better as it’ll be one big lump of ice 

Yes, if it's nice and cold to start with, should still be chilled for 3 days

14 hours ago, Olshansky said:

wringing my hands about what to pack, clothing wise.  would prefer to travel light, but the weather seems to be a bit mercurial and I may have to come prepared for it all.  have made two piles of clothes - blistering hot and 17C. 

I think layers will be key. It is definitely colder than normal at the moment but it is due to hopefully get a little better. If you can afford it I'd probably still just go with a few more thinner layered long sleeved running gear as they usually pack up small and budget to buy a hoodie or 2 when you get here if it is still as cold as it currently is. That way if it improves you hopefully don't need them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -TLR- said:

today I was looking at, and was seriously thinking about purchasing - waterproof coveralls... in anticipation of the mud bath thats coming our way...

Weather reports are improving, it's going to be firm ground apart from the areas with spilt cider and beer!

Got carried away in Iceland warehouse yesterday looking for cans of Lilt (is it okay to use a drink's deadname?) 

Ended up with 24 Lilt, 24, Coke Zero and 24 Sprite all for £24. That's too many cans but I'm stocked for the summer now! 

15 hours ago, Olshansky said:

Wait until you get to the UK. If you need more clothes buy them here?

On 6/3/2024 at 2:25 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Bought some Sketchers and a hoodie off Vinted.  Mates swear by Sketchers to look after your feet at G.  Strangely my 15 year old dependable festy hoodie seems to have disappeared. It was getting abit ratty, but I haven't chucked it.  Suspect Mrs 4AM having a clearout may be at play.

Booze run this weekend.  Then I think we just have to pack nearer the time!

Sketchers all day, every day last year and the best my feet have ever been at a festival.

At Bearded last month, the mud dried out enough on Saturday night to put them on, it was like switching to slippers, bliss.

Obviously absolutely bloody useless if it's wet, but that won't happen.