Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

5 minutes ago, Festival Sounds Podcast said:

They bundled up cancellations with Shindig places.

I’m surprised that we haven’t heard of anyone getting places recently. Some people will cancel last minute, it’s whether Oxfam built this in and have already got it covered.

I'm still not convinced that they'd have built in X number of cancellations, at least not precisely enough that nothing came up since the start of May. It feels like if they were going to do so, they'd estimate low rather than estimate high as the safer option.

The other possibility, and the one I'm starting to lean towards, would be if the Festival has reduced the number of positions / roles that needed covering compared to the earlier estimates. In that scenario precedent suggests that they'd obviously allow Oxfam to honour places to those already booked but it'd likely mean any cancellations didn't get replaced.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm still not convinced that they'd have built in X number of cancellations, at least not precisely enough that nothing came up since the start of May. It feels like if they were going to do so, they'd estimate low rather than estimate high as the safer option.

The other possibility, and the one I'm starting to lean towards, would be if the Festival has reduced the number of positions / roles that needed covering compared to the earlier estimates. In that scenario precedent suggests that they'd obviously allow Oxfam to honour places to those already booked but it'd likely mean any cancellations didn't get replaced.

Isn't Glastonbury a bit unusual for Oxfam in that they get a chunk of cash that isn't directly related to the number of stewards they provide.  I mean, they've still got to have enough wristbands etc, but I suspect that being +/- 50 stewards isn't such a big deal compared to other shows, which means they can over-recruit quite a bit knowing that it won't have such a big impact

2 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Isn't Glastonbury a bit unusual for Oxfam in that they get a chunk of cash that isn't directly related to the number of stewards they provide.  I mean, they've still got to have enough wristbands etc, but I suspect that being +/- 50 stewards isn't such a big deal compared to other shows, which means they can over-recruit quite a bit knowing that it won't have such a big impact

I was thinking more that the number of wristbands the festival issue to each partner is tightly agreed and controlled, rather than the cash side or the operational side. Just as it is in every area of the festival. I've certainly heard words to the effect of "we could do with a few more" in the past.

Edited by incident

I took one of the Shindig deals and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Met some really nice people and the shifts were not too bad.  I got car parking on 2 days, which was busy.  I also got a busy gate/area  in a torrential storm, which was interesting.

There were a few response people allocated at Shindig, but I think they generally got sent out to help, though maybe as the weather was so bad, all hands were needed.

Really looking forward to next week, as it will be on a completely different scale - and as everyone says, looking forward to accessing the crew bars.  

On 6/15/2024 at 12:52 PM, MrZigster said:

Talking of parking, has anyone with Avalon who is driving there had any instructions yet?

Thinking about it I don't think I've heard anything since I took the online test thingy. Pretty sure I passed.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:26 PM, Talcroft said:

Got mine on 18th June last year. 

So two days before you had to be there then? The Sunday before the Tuesday? Think it might be wise to start packing before then. Guessing you mean you received instructions and not an actual parking pass?

Sent an enquiring email but just got a generic reply back.

Can someone reassure me that I'm worrying unnecessarily?

39 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

So two days before you had to be there then? The Sunday before the Tuesday? Think it might be wise to start packing before then. Guessing you mean you received instructions and not an actual parking pass?

Sent an enquiring email but just got a generic reply back.

Can someone reassure me that I'm worrying unnecessarily?

You are. 

They will send an email with all the instructions on. It won't include a parking pass, you get that when you arrive. But the instructions will tell you which gate to head to, along with an authorisation letter to show the stewards to let you through to the car park. Some of the stewards won't be familiar with us as a staff group and there might be a bit of faff, but they'll ask a supervisor and it'll get figured out. 

It wouldn't really matter if you didn't get the email til Monday night in truth. I know we like to be prepared but in the modern era you can just show the stewards your email on your phone. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lazymagnet said:

Weather forecast is looking 🌞🌞🌞 - how’s the ground doing @BillieBobs? Hope you’ve all had good dry weather! Xo

It’s looking good 😎☀️ Very dusty on site and gets chilly in the night but perfect weather we’re having 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BillieBobs said:

It’s looking good 😎☀️ Very dusty on site and gets chilly in the night but perfect weather we’re having 

Woo!! absolute belter. ta so much for the updates - they're keeping me chill after seeing pics from download.🤣 it ws giving me flashies of losing my wellies in the sludge 2016.

15 hours ago, BillieBobs said:

Thanks for the update Billie! Hopefully it holds out for next week 🌞

29 minutes ago, lazymagnet said:

Woo!! absolute belter. ta so much for the updates - they're keeping me chill after seeing pics from download.🤣 it ws giving me flashies of losing my wellies in the sludge 2016.

Download pics this year gave me literal nightmares. All the mud combined with raw chicken being served. Traumatising

Been really good this whole time not stressing about shifts and trying not to get too into specifics on the lineup.... but after listening to what would be my Friday I'll be gutted if I've got anything other than day off/6-2 🤞🤞 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Thanks for the update Billie! Hopefully it holds out for next week 🌞

Download pics this year gave me literal nightmares. All the mud combined with raw chicken being served. Traumatising

Been really good this whole time not stressing about shifts and trying not to get too into specifics on the lineup.... but after listening to what would be my Friday I'll be gutted if I've got anything other than day off/6-2 🤞🤞 

LITERAL NIGHTMARES.

I just love a patch of dry grass to sit on - happy if I can plonk myself down.😆 What bar have you requested?

3 minutes ago, lazymagnet said:

LITERAL NIGHTMARES.

I just love a patch of dry grass to sit on - happy if I can plonk myself down.😆 What bar have you requested?

Yeah not being able to have a sit down would be the killer for me! 

I'm doing Oxfam! 🙂 did apply to be on bars but didn't get a spot. First year volunteering at a festival so really looking forward to it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Yeah not being able to have a sit down would be the killer for me! 

I'm doing Oxfam! 🙂 did apply to be on bars but didn't get a spot. First year volunteering at a festival so really looking forward to it

Aww fab! glad you got sorted. I've done Oxfam and Avalon - both good, you'll enjoy and the perks are definitely a bonus! hot showers and a fry up 2 mins from your tent is a game changer!

It's true - There were places.  I was helping someone from this site, but they cannot now take it up at short notice.

So it's going back in the pot. People still trying - Don't give up just yet...

Just now, alanr said:

😀😀 I'm in, I'd almost given up for this year.

Yay, well done

I can't believe it - I've been telling everyone my unbroken run since 1990 was coming to an end. I'm over the moon!!

I've been WFH mostly recently so I've had the monitor on all day and night. Today I've been up ladders on site all day and only got home 45mins ago. Wow