Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

12 hours ago, thewomble said:

Just got my shifts - really pleased with them! 
Wednesday 6-2 gate A 

Thursday night shift gate B 

Saturday 2-10 gate D 

Friday off was all I wanted and can still enjoy Saturday night once I’m finished 🙌🏻 Buzzing 

That weds am shift is, I think, the best place to be when the festival opens.  Will be great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bob323 said:

can oxfam people access the site ok? no issues with the hi-vis thing?

Only place we have had to wear hi viz has been interstage, still under construction.   Everywhere else has not been needed.

I was told a Hi Vis is a must, but the majority aren’t wearing them. However it is a good idea as the heavy traffic is dangerous so do be careful. I had a close encounter with a speeding mega sized fork lift truck on Pyle Lane, it could easily have caused serious injury. And I’m amazed how many huge tractors are bombing around on site. It’s not a safe place! 

17 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Excellent!

I got the same shift pattern! Will see you on the Thursday night shift on Gate B and the Saturday afternoon on Gate D 😀

Nice one see you then 😄 think we’ve got really lucky with these shifts, love that the night shift is just at gate B!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackP1994 said:

Hope everyone is having a great time! 

I apologise if it’s been asked and answered already, but does anyone know if any crew bars are showing the football tonight? 

Loving Hands is advertising it (Silver Hayes), and I've heard that the Woodsies one is showing it but that crew bar is an undiscovered myth. Would recommend getting to them early

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

Loving Hands is advertising it (Silver Hayes), and I've heard that the Woodsies one is showing it but that crew bar is an undiscovered myth. Would recommend getting to them early

Brilliant, thanks for the info. Will be sure to head down there a bit earlier! 

On 6/6/2024 at 2:02 PM, ravermum said:

Thank you! I applied earlier in the year. I was also on waitlist for Compost Toilet crew - here is the email address to add yourself if you want to poocrew2@naturalevent.co.uk

Currently on a very busy train on the way to Castle Cary. Standing room only. It's horrific.

Thanks! I emailed poocrew straight after seeing this, so about 2 weeks ago and a spot came up yesterday! Yewwwww.

Just a heads up for folk, the Woodsies bar doesn't allow you to drink your own booze. Didn't have my wallet on me either, so rejected from buying a Guinness for a lack of ID (baby faced 26 year old evidently) - a net loss of one and a half drinks 😞

I was in the very fortunate position for the people I volunteer for and the backing of @eFestivals to be a photographer at the festival and it was a whole new experience. As good as the extraordinary Glastonbury experiences I’ve enjoyed but in a different way. I intend to do it again! 

IMG_2524.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/1/2024 at 10:50 PM, Paul ™ said:

Thanks to all the Oxfam volunteers around Red Gate/VG5/VG6... great work

Thank you!  We were on VG5 for 2 of our shifts, and dust aside, was pretty good.  Great team, and our gate supervisor (Andy) was superb

My wife and I had an absolute blast volunteering with Oxfam for the first time.

Managed to get the same shift pattern (C) which really worked for us. Different locations but must have been as she got her spot last minute. We met some lovely people.

Will be trying again for normal tickets in Autumn but am looking at doing another with Oxfam this summer to secure priority.

Does anyone know if ArcTangent counts towards the two required? Noticed is says you only need to be on site Wed-Sun. And is only an hour down the road for me so could work well.

Absolutely loved my first year volunteering! Had so much fun, great shifts and met lovely people. Was on pedestrian gates the whole time and couldn't believe some of the stuff we saw with people trying to get in without tickets 😂😂 

Would 100% do it again. Gutted I can't do another festival this year to secure a priority place for 2025, but definitely going to look at 2 next year even if I don't get a Glasto spot. Such a great way to try new festivals especially if you're going on your own. 

53 minutes ago, JackP1994 said:

Does anyone know if ArcTangent counts towards the two required? Noticed is says you only need to be on site Wed-Sun. And is only an hour down the road for me so could work well.

I can't imagine any reason it wouldn't, and have never heard that it doesn't. Certainly other "shorter" weekend festivals always have.

The only ones where there's a question mark are the one-shift day events.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Would 100% do it again. Gutted I can't do another festival this year to secure a priority place for 2025, but definitely going to look at 2 next year even if I don't get a Glasto spot.

Minor reminder that 2026 is now confirmed as fallow, so if the primary motivation is priority then may be worth factoring that in.

40 minutes ago, incident said:

I can't imagine any reason it wouldn't, and have never heard that it doesn't. Certainly other "shorter" weekend festivals always have.

The only ones where there's a question mark are the one-shift day events.

Yep, shorter two-shift festivals still count (which makes sense as some of those festivals in the past haven't always been the easiest ones to get volunteers for anyway).

The one-dayers are a new thing this year for Oxfam, and don't count unless you do the full set of them. I'm guessing if they work out and Oxfam expands their operations to other day festivals they might develop a new Priority rule covering them in future years (something like 2 or 3 day festivals counts as one for Priority)

1 hour ago, thewomble said:

Absolutely loved my first year volunteering! Had so much fun, great shifts and met lovely people. Was on pedestrian gates the whole time and couldn't believe some of the stuff we saw with people trying to get in without tickets 😂😂 

Would 100% do it again. Gutted I can't do another festival this year to secure a priority place for 2025, but definitely going to look at 2 next year even if I don't get a Glasto spot. Such a great way to try new festivals especially if you're going on your own. 

I'm doing AT for exactly the same reasons. It's very close to home and counts as a 2nd festival for me. I'm hoping to go home between shifts.

I've had some really positive reports about stewarding at AT, so I'm looking forward to it!

57 minutes ago, incident said:

Minor reminder that 2026 is now confirmed as fallow, so if the primary motivation is priority then may be worth factoring that in.

Partly priority but also just really enjoyed myself 🙂 Have always fancied 2000 Trees or Download but probably not enough to go otherwise so Oxfam seems a good choice to try them out. Plus adds up towards the 7 in 7 years priority!

8 minutes ago, JezzaBelle said:

I'm doing AT for exactly the same reasons. It's very close to home and counts as a 2nd festival for me. I'm hoping to go home between shifts.

I've had some really positive reports about stewarding at AT, so I'm looking forward to it!

Oh nice - being able to go home after a busy shift would be a dream! Took me a while to recover from my 6-2pm on Wednesday at Gate A this year in that blazing sun so a snooze on the sofa would have been welcomed 😂

• Like 1