Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

19 minutes ago, thewomble said:

Partly priority but also just really enjoyed myself 🙂 Have always fancied 2000 Trees or Download but probably not enough to go otherwise so Oxfam seems a good choice to try them out. Plus adds up towards the 7 in 7 years priority!

Yep that makes perfect sense. I've always found Oxfam to be at it's most useful for me when it comes to trying out a festival that I'd quite like to do but can't justify the cost and/or don't have friends interested.

And the 7 in 7 criteria is certainly useful once you get to that point - it allowed me to skip last year entirely, whilst still retaining priority status for a few more years.

• Upvote 1

i've never, ever considered volunteering before - but i think i would really like to give it a go next year, i think i'm at a point were i would like to see the festival from a different perspective. 

1 hour ago, -TLR- said:

i've never, ever considered volunteering before - but i think i would really like to give it a go next year, i think i'm at a point were i would like to see the festival from a different perspective. 

you definitely get that, but a word of caution is that you really have to be at that point also where you are willing to miss anything and that there are no real "must sees". We got an absolute dream of a shift pattern this year (two done by 6am Friday and 2-10 Saturday, meaning we saw all our must sees) but are well aware it could go the other way. 

Personally not at the point of choosing it by default but will always make sure we get ourselves priority in case we miss out on tickets

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, incident said:

Minor reminder that 2026 is now confirmed as fallow, so if the primary motivation is priority then may be worth factoring that in.

Is it?  When was that confirmed please? 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Is it?  When was that confirmed please? 

It was in the Glastonbury paper on the Sunday though Emily had mooted it in the interview she did with Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac before the festival 

7 minutes ago, incident said:

In an interview with EE published in the Sunday edition of the paper.

6 minutes ago, dondo said:

It was in the Glastonbury paper on the Sunday though Emily had mooted it in the interview she did with Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac before the festival 

Oh wow... I know she'd mentioned it but didn't think they'd really go with a 4 festival run. 

Thanks for the info. 

6 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Anyone who did bar work this year - how was the new setup? My son really wants to swap from recycling to bars. I think he's completely lost his mind but there we are...

Done bars last 3 years. Personally think we get a good deal - lot of the bars are in the 'heart' of it so even if you're missing something you wanted you're usually catching something else.

If you're used to shifts and being customer facing, esp lates/nights and don't mind being on your feet it's easy work. Think if you're office based people sometimes find the adjustment harder. Depending on the bar depends how busy - lot of the bars have peaks and troughs of busy/quiet. 

I work for Avalon and most of us do 3x8 hour shifts with at least one night. Workers Beer Company I believe do 4x6 hour shifts.

Each bar is supported by paid employees who are bar professionals and keep the bars stocked, sort breaks etc. Managers are generally cool and will be flexible to let you take your break when there's something on you want to see (but bear in mind if you're on Park and want to see something on the Pyramid, you can't make that work in a 30min break).

Never done recycling so can't compare, but can't say I'd fancy hand-sorting rubbish by comparison. Rather bop about with happy customers any day.

Thanks @Talcroft thats really helpful. What are your showers and food like? I know Oxfam have tokens for showers for example. Recycling I think is some of the hardest physical work on site but useful for us oldies who dont want to do anything after headliners anyway - you also miss no music at all and now on our shift pattern have Friday off completely. 

I volunteered for Avalon Bars as well. I really enjoyed it. It certainly helps to be customer facing but there were other jobs as well.

I was at Cockmill bar, by the Acoustic. It worked well for me with lots of bands that I enjoyed hearing and even seeing a bit.

I didn't find my three shifts a problem, I missed a few bands I would have liked to see, but that's part of the deal. More than compensated for by camping just outside gate C, good food provided, and hot showers.

I had never done bar work on this scale before and I thought the paid staff were very supportive. If you can make the switch and want to I'd highly recommend it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

Thanks @Talcroft thats really helpful. What are your showers and food like? I know Oxfam have tokens for showers for example. Recycling I think is some of the hardest physical work on site but useful for us oldies who dont want to do anything after headliners anyway - you also miss no music at all and now on our shift pattern have Friday off completely. 

Showers are good, no token system as we're technically catering workers so it's important we have access to personal hygiene/high likelihood of getting covered in beer. Last couple of years they've turned off the heat to a block of showers so we've been able to have a cold shower when it gets hot if wanted!

Previously got 7 meal vouchers for Tues night-Mon morning, this year we got 8. Cooked breakfast available 7am-11ish I think (never paid much attention as I don't tend to bother), then main meals 1pm-9pm (again, I think - I don't usually bother). Plentiful, hearty meals usually, along the lines of mac and cheese, spag bol, chicken pie etc. Always chips and beans available. Nice salad, bread cheese available in addition at lunchtime. Only downside for me is we camp outside gate C and being based on Stonebridge this year there was no way I was wasting an hour going to camp for food then back in to the fest again - hence I don't usually bother.

27 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

Showers are good, no token system as we're technically catering workers so it's important we have access to personal hygiene/high likelihood of getting covered in beer. Last couple of years they've turned off the heat to a block of showers so we've been able to have a cold shower when it gets hot if wanted!

Previously got 7 meal vouchers for Tues night-Mon morning, this year we got 8. Cooked breakfast available 7am-11ish I think (never paid much attention as I don't tend to bother), then main meals 1pm-9pm (again, I think - I don't usually bother). Plentiful, hearty meals usually, along the lines of mac and cheese, spag bol, chicken pie etc. Always chips and beans available. Nice salad, bread cheese available in addition at lunchtime. Only downside for me is we camp outside gate C and being based on Stonebridge this year there was no way I was wasting an hour going to camp for food then back in to the fest again - hence I don't usually bother.

Sounds like they look after you really well. Good to hear. Was the place process cutthroat?

8 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Sounds like they look after you really well. Good to hear. Was the place process cutthroat?

Hasn't been for returners so far but can't comment for new volunteers I'm afraid - I believe a number on the waitlist didn't a spot this year. I plan to try to for tickets so there's a chance my place may come up if I get lucky, but no promises!

43 minutes ago, Chazwozza said:

One for @Crazyfool01 - Hi Alex, can you edit my thread “Volunteering 2024” to remove the date please? Seems it’s still useful and lots of the content isn’t restricted to 2024.  Thanks in advance.

Historically, we've had a new thread each year - as with many topics - Volunteering 2022, 2023 etc. as this helps to keep the information relevant and fresh.  And this thread contains the information about 2024 so I'd prefer a new one for 2025, to be honest. 

36 minutes ago, stuie said:

Historically, we've had a new thread each year - as with many topics - Volunteering 2022, 2023 etc. as this helps to keep the information relevant and fresh.  And this thread contains the information about 2024 so I'd prefer a new one for 2025, to be honest. 

Yep, and tbh it'd be good to start it off with an introductory post with links to the previous thread, the excellent spreadsheet that@Leyrulion put together, etc.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep, and tbh it'd be good to start it off with an introductory post with links to the previous thread, the excellent spreadsheet that@Leyrulion put together, etc.

I will be updating that at some point in the next couple months. Learnt a lot more this year about different groups!

• 3 weeks later...