Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

17 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It’s every where

Interestingly though, there was noticeably less at Shambala this year and I only saw 3 nitrous balloons all weekend 

I’d definitely agree about Shambala. Didn’t see any nitrous at all and those who were on coke stuck out because there were so few of them 

24 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

It’s every where

Interestingly though, there was noticeably less at Shambala this year and I only saw 3 nitrous balloons all weekend 

I don't think I saw any open drug taking at Shambala. People were definitely on it. 

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Just to expand on that - example, a teenage girl who quite clearly is very overwhelmed wants to come onto the platform because the tent is full, is there with her friend who is clearly caring for her, and she's bawling her eyes out because she's missing her favourite artist, and is becoming increasingly agitated.  They didn't sign up for the accessibility passes, but our orders are "no wristband no entry" and we have to stick with them. Surely you need someone trained in sensitively dealing with such situations around? 

A certain part of this should come from supervisors with experience telling stewards to use discretion when available. 

E.g. if that platform wasn't full the steward should have felt empowered to bend the rules slightly and give them space. 

At Glastonbury you're actively encouraged to come to a consensus decision with the other supervisors if stewards escalate something to you if there are margin cases. E.g. we let in a family of 5 where the mum had lost the pass out, everyone else had it. 

Is it a route in to be abused, I guess, but also it's also much more likely that the mum genuinely didn't get/lost a pass out. 

Edited by Leyrulion

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

A certain part of this should come from supervisors with experience telling stewards to use discretion when available. 

E.g. if that platform wasn't full the steward should have felt empowered to bend the rules slightly and give them space. 

At Glastonbury you're actively encouraged to come to a consensus decision with the other supervisors if stewards escalate something to you if there are margin cases. E.g. we let in a family of 5 where the mum had lost the pass out, everyone else had it. 

Is it a route in to be abused, I guess, but also it's also much more likely that the mum genuinely didn't get/lost a pass out. 

A problem can be (and FR festivals particularly are terrible for this) that at some festivals the supervisor / stewards are very much not given that discretion, and are being overly monitored by the festival to check that they're doing things "right".

I'm not the only person who basically has taken a blanket decision not to work the big FR events (maybe an exception for Wilderness, as that feels more relaxed) because of an overbearing feeling that you* simply aren't trusted.

*by which I mean, all volunteers

2 hours ago, incident said:

A problem can be (and FR festivals particularly are terrible for this) that at some festivals the supervisor / stewards are very much not given that discretion, and are being overly monitored by the festival to check that they're doing things "right".

I'm not the only person who basically has taken a blanket decision not to work the big FR events (maybe an exception for Wilderness, as that feels more relaxed) because of an overbearing feeling that you* simply aren't trusted.

*by which I mean, all volunteers

Yes we're audited quite closely at some to the extent that there are 'pretend cases' where concession is attempted.

28 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What was it like at Glasto this year for nitrous?

I didn't see any but I didn't go into the Kings Meadow this year. I did buy a couple of flowers for my garden made from spent cartridges though! 

IMG_20240630_191641660.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Those are so cool! And a really good idea from whoever thought that up

They were from the tools Tools For Self Reliance stall in Green Futures. It's my husband's favourite stall, never leaves without buying something. They know the dude who makes them, his local council dump site saves the cartridges for him. 😊

On 9/6/2024 at 12:47 PM, duke88 said:

spacer.png
Well, this was what we collected from San Remo on Thursday morning on the Recycling Crew…

Ye. I saw a few piles like that when working on recycling crew.  They had a truck that was going round collecting just them