Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

15 hours ago, JackP1994 said:

My wife just got an Oxfam spot and we’re now both coming to Glastonbury together!!!! 

Chaotic few days incoming!

See you all there!! 

Ah amazing, so happy she got there in the end.  That perseverance paid off in the end 🙂  Have the best time !! 

35 minutes ago, bob323 said:

I'm wondering if they're copying other festivals H&S - I was at Wilderness festival last year and before the site opened to the general ticket holders, every single person (kids included) had to wear a hi-vis on site - all the time (outside your immediate tent area.

This has been the official rule (and I think the law) on every festival site for as long as I'm aware of. It's just one that hasn't really been enforced much and widely ignored at Glastonbury in particular

Some festivals have always been very strict on it. Beautiful Days comes to mind as one, as previously they had an injury that they felt could have been prevented if the person was wearing high vis.

At the risk of sounding like a gammon (hey, I'm the right sort of age and currently hungover and grumpy) it's Health & Safety gone mad.

Or at least a little bit OTT.

Rather short notice for some as well I suspect.

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

At the risk of sounding like a gammon (hey, I'm the right sort of age and currently hungover and grumpy) it's Health & Safety gone mad.

it's not a very hard thing to follow tbh - even all the young kids managed to wear them and if it saves the health or life of just one person it's worth it

Edited by bob323
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Not sure it was short notice as it was in the build and break H&S course that everyone had to do. As it has been since I’ve done it. Just that it wasn’t particularly strongly enforced in the past 

It’s not been communicated in any of Avalons messages since we got the volunteering place, so I would say it is short notice as it seems not all organisations have been informed about this 

30 minutes ago, tarw said:

Not sure it was short notice as it was in the build and break H&S course that everyone had to do. As it has been since I’ve done it. Just that it wasn’t particularly strongly enforced in the past 

@oxfam people… 

we’ve not done this course have we? I keep seeing people mention it… getting a bit worried! 

Edited by stuie

I'm going to pack a high-vis just in case. If I need to do the H&S questionnaire I can do that on my phone and get the QR, but if they don't have enough high-vis for everyone we'd be stuck.

I really want to get inside for a wander on Tuesday,

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

@oxfam people… 

we’ve not done this course have we? I keep seeing people mention it… getting a bit worried! 

I've not seen anything come through about this and have had all other communication. Not stressed about it. Might chuck a hi viz from work in the car just in case though!

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

@oxfam people… 

the course will be the GFEL one, this is needed for the H&S band

1 hour ago, stuie said:

@oxfam people… 

I'd assume that the 3 hour Oxfam training has all the relevant h&s stuff in it, unless GFL have something unusual to add. I'm pretty sure it has the high vis before gates stuff.

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Extremely short notice. Some folk are en route. I don't think anyone minds actually wearing it - but shouty emails at 10pm on a Thursday telling (or rather implying) that we are kettled into our campsite unless we provide our own hi-viz is pretty shite communication.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd assume that the 3 hour Oxfam training has all the relevant h&s stuff in it, unless GFL have something unusual to add. I'm pretty sure it has the high vis before gates stuff.

I've done both - oxfam last year and the GFEL one in 22

The GFEL is very basic, but it did cover stuff that i did not see in the oxfam training. eg speed limits , licenses needed for working at heights, areas on site you can work and not work etc..

I know GFL aren't showing the Scotland/England knock-out games during the actual festival, but could I be so bold as to assume that the England vs Slovenia game will be shown on Tuesday night for those of us volunteering? Not necessarily at a stage like, but I'm hoping it'll be on at a staff bar or something?

5 minutes ago, JayDiesel said:

I know GFL aren't showing the Scotland/England knock-out games during the actual festival, but could I be so bold as to assume that the England vs Slovenia game will be shown on Tuesday night for those of us volunteering? Not necessarily at a stage like, but I'm hoping it'll be on at a staff bar or something?

I'm told that, at the very least, the Fox & Badger (Woodsies crew bar) will be showing it...
Dunno if they have capacity (or beer) for 70,000 workers turning up (minus those not the least interested in the footballing progress of England and/or Slovenia !)

20 hours ago, alanr said:

I've filled in everthing on my profile, just need the training.

Anyone know what happens now?

image.thumb.png.a2585ddbb6c27af374c1164da2672d08.png

I got an email this morning. Watched the 2 hour video and sent the info needed to prove I had watched.

Waiting for more info now.

1 hour ago, incident said:

GFL have a separate h&s course for those arriving before gates open. About 15-20 mins with a couple of questions at the end. Not part of the regular training you have to show your cert on the way in. It’s been like that for a while. 
Surprised Oxfam doesn’t have a similar. Is there h&s handouts with your welcome pack to cover it?

31 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

I'm told that, at the very least, the Fox & Badger (Woodsies crew bar) will be showing it...
Dunno if they have capacity (or beer) for 70,000 workers turning up (minus those not the least interested in the footballing progress of England and/or Slovenia !)

image.jpeg.9322873c57cd5c01323574b2ae7a45c9.jpeg

1 hour ago, This_Fields_Good said:

sh*t!  That’s my quiet chilled pint on Tuesday out of the window. Have to wander over to the acoustic or somewhere else now. 

All the smart arses suggesting "it's not hard..just get a hi viz vest from Poundland" etc are missing the point.

It's the employer /organisers responsibility to provide PPE For staff / volunteers. Buying personal PPE is an absolute sh*t storm. It's usually rubbish and completely the wrong approach.

Anyone reading this who have not been briefed to buy PPE, just get to the site and report to your point of contact who Will no doubt have plenty for you. 

It may be the legislation party line but please stop the hares running amongst possibly first time volunteers reading this and panicking that they are not going to get on site without a hi vis. This is d*ck behaviour.

Can we shut down this misleading BS conversation?

1 hour ago, alanr said:

I got an email this morning. Watched the 2 hour video and sent the info needed to prove I had watched.

Waiting for more info now.

Who's that you're volunteering with?