Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

10 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

All the smart arses suggesting "it's not hard..just get a hi viz vest from Poundland" etc are missing the point.

It's the employer /organisers responsibility to provide PPE For staff / volunteers. Buying personal PPE is an absolute sh*t storm. It's usually rubbish and completely the wrong approach.

Anyone reading this who have not been briefed to buy PPE, just get to the site and report to your point of contact who Will no doubt have plenty for you. 

It may be the legislation party line but please stop the hares running amongst possibly first time volunteers reading this and panicking that they are not going to get on site without a hi vis. This is d*ck behaviour.

Can we shut down this misleading BS conversation?

Actually Critical Waste (litterpicker HQ) explicitly said ‘don’t bother asking to borrow one to go sight-seeing, we have them for people working’ so in reality unless litterpickers arriving before Wednesday bring their own, they can’t leave Tom’s Field, so it’s pretty important for folk to get ahold of one! 

2 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Actually Critical Waste (litterpicker HQ) explicitly said ‘don’t bother asking to borrow one to go sight-seeing, we have them for people working’ so in reality unless litterpickers arriving before Wednesday bring their own, they can’t leave Tom’s Field, so it’s pretty important for folk to get ahold of one! 

And for the people volunteering who camp off site, park next to where they camp and walk to the camp site HQ and are passed a hi viz as part of their arrival process?

It's not Facebook this forum. We are better than the that.

Let's let the organisers call the shots and not us idiots 

It's always astonished me just how absolutely last minute a lot of the build at Glasto seems to be. Always seems to be construction still ongoing Wednesday and Thursday. Particularly the late night areas, Arcadia, cables at the Pyramid not yet buried (presumably for testing), etc.. Sure there are lots of other examples.

I have zero experience of any other festivals so nothing else to compare it with. Are Boomtown/Isle of Wight/Download et al always still building things with punters already through the gates? (Yeah, yeah it's a working farm and all that...)

Currently wondering where the hell is my un-logoed hi viz vest that my great aunt bought for me when I got my first motorbike about three and a half decades ago? I know it's in the house somewhere. Can't wear the work issued branded one.

• Upvote 1

Just got my joining instructions. In the bloody spam folder! Least spamiest email ever.

Purple car parks. That's quite a trek to site. Last time I volunteered and drove I was put right next to the camp site (actually marked "long stay staff" on the map sent).

No indication of what time they want me there/when's the earliest I can turn up and get accredited. Was tempted to just pack and get there as soon as possible and just plead ignorance when I got there. Sent the question by email instead.

I've got Tuesday 10:00am in my head for some reason but not sure where I've got that from.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

It's always astonished me just how absolutely last minute a lot of the build at Glasto seems to be. Always seems to be construction still ongoing Wednesday and Thursday. Particularly the late night areas, Arcadia, cables at the Pyramid not yet buried (presumably for testing), etc.. Sure there are lots of other examples.

I have zero experience of any other festivals so nothing else to compare it with. Are Boomtown/Isle of Wight/Download et al always still building things with punters already through the gates? (Yeah, yeah it's a working farm and all that...)

Currently wondering where the hell is my un-logoed hi viz vest that my great aunt bought for me when I got my first motorbike about three and a half decades ago? I know it's in the house somewhere. Can't wear the work issued branded one.

Can be and weather affects it all obviously. I've known them banging away Fri AM still. Boomtown in 2017 was a washout and that was still being built Fri in downtown and Williams Green.

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

To varying degrees, yeah usually. Maybe a bit less because Glastonbury lets in a day earlier than most festivals

3 hours ago, incident said:

I'd assume that the 3 hour Oxfam training has all the relevant h&s stuff in it, unless GFL have something unusual to add. I'm pretty sure it has the high vis before gates stuff.

When I did shindig with Oxfam I got a link to their H&S from the festival and then a build and break QR code. I guess Oxfam at Glastonbury is different as it’s much bigger group of volunteers. Hopefully we will still be able to explore the site if arriving Monday- with Oxfam tabard? 

Download insist on a hi-vis if you’re in the arena ahead of it opening to the public, and I’d have thought we’ll have a basic H&S briefing when we get the normal Oxfam team info - I’m sure we’ll be able to wander around like a little army of yellow bees 

5 minutes ago, sedra said:

When I did shindig with Oxfam I got a link to their H&S from the festival and then a build and break QR code. I guess Oxfam at Glastonbury is different as it’s much bigger group of volunteers. Hopefully we will still be able to explore the site if arriving Monday- with Oxfam tabard? 

I've had to do a H&S thing for another festival before when stewarding with Oxfam. Wilderness maybe? Can't remember. 

The official line at Glastonbury (and I think other festivals) has always been too wear hi-vis if going on site before gates open.

Never actually enforced before though.

25 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Just got my joining instructions. In the bloody spam folder! Least spamiest email ever.

Purple car parks. That's quite a trek to site. Last time I volunteered and drove I was put right next to the camp site (actually marked "long stay staff" on the map sent).

No indication of what time they want me there/when's the earliest I can turn up and get accredited. Was tempted to just pack and get there as soon as possible and just plead ignorance when I got there. Sent the question by email instead.

I've got Tuesday 10:00am in my head for some reason but not sure where I've got that from.

Meant to add: No mention of hi-vis vests anywhere in the instructions.

When I last did it they were in Big Lickle and you could park in the field opposite. The landowner then chucked them off a year or so later. Tabbard around site is told but tbh no one likely to make a fuss unless you go into SE Corner. Yes you can wonder around from arrival onwards, at least you used to be able too anyway. Remember one year there was an Oxfam party somewhere in family camping and went to that.

6 hours ago, thewomble said:

I've not seen anything come through about this and have had all other communication. Not stressed about it. Might chuck a hi viz from work in the car just in case though!

We’ll have hi-vis anyway… you can turn Oxfam inside out. 

4 hours ago, incident said:

I'd assume that the 3 hour Oxfam training has all the relevant h&s stuff in it, unless GFL have something unusual to add. I'm pretty sure it has the high vis before gates stuff.

just want to be sure I can get on site Monday and I’ve not done anything extra to get a qr code so far!

3 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Recyclers have had to do it so don't see why Oxfam don't? When are you allowed on site?

From Monday.  We have done our own 3 hour training already and we have on site briefings too. 

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Short answer is yes.

I've turned up at other festivals (Boomtown in 2018 being an example that comes to mind) and been forbidden from leaving the staff campsite even with high vis because the build is so far behind.

I've also seen gates and arenas miss their scheduled opening times because there's still cranes etc in public areas or fences not yet up.

2 minutes ago, Mr. B said:

Niche question - but figuring out how many powerbanks to pack. How hard is it to charge up phone/paperbank in the oxfam field? Thanks

plenty of charging points in the marquee but beware of leaving powerbanks charging as sadly they have been known to go walkies

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

plenty of charging points in the marquee but beware of leaving powerbanks charging as sadly they have been known to go walkies

Label everything and don’t forget a plug and cable! 

On 6/11/2024 at 3:43 PM, Phil the Bald said:

Well, this is pitiful, but hey, I'd rather have a place at Glastonbury than my dignity anyway!

I've been volunteering for several years, working on and latterly managing the internal gate teams in one of the fields. Unfortunately it seems that now I'm surplus to their requirements (despite having paid for a ticket and still worked for them last year) - children of existing team are prioritised.

So! I'm very available before, during, and after the festival, am experienced with the site and the way things are done, and am reliable to a fault.

So if anyone knows of any volunteering places going last minute, I'd be bottomlessly grateful.

(I know it's a long shot at this point - just not going to give up until the gates open. Already watching the Oxfam page of course, and have been unsuccessful with another couple of organisations, but there've got to be possibilities I've missed!)

SUCCESS! Ok, I left it a bit late, but Pop Crew made contact today and it's all sorted. Thanks to people who had kind words and suggestions, and see you there. Just goes to show - persistence really can pay off. 🥹

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

All the smart arses suggesting "it's not hard..just get a hi viz vest from Poundland" etc are missing the point.

It's the employer /organisers responsibility to provide PPE For staff / volunteers. Buying personal PPE is an absolute sh*t storm. It's usually rubbish and completely the wrong approach.

Anyone reading this who have not been briefed to buy PPE, just get to the site and report to your point of contact who Will no doubt have plenty for you. 

It may be the legislation party line but please stop the hares running amongst possibly first time volunteers reading this and panicking that they are not going to get on site without a hi vis. This is d*ck behaviour.

Can we shut down this misleading BS conversation?

Yes, for those on site 100%, but I think the problem might be for those who aren’t on site. If you are expected to turn up on the actual site in advance of gates, ok, but if you want early access to the site and you are camped outside - not quite so sure it’s that simple? You’re not required on the site… it would feel like a real kicker to get there without one out of principle and not be allowed early access for a wander round. 

that being said - if you haven’t been told expressly to take one by who YOU work for, but it’s a requirement, I would be assuming almost certainly that’s because they are supplying you with one anyway. 

Edited by irnkrtn

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Meant to add: No mention of hi-vis vests anywhere in the instructions.

Mark - I think the rule caught many by surprise - as after all GFL did not impose it at previous events.

My building { and another tower block - about 400 flats } is being decommissioned as it does not pass a building standard from 2022 { which is no surprise as they were built in the 70's } Came right out the blue and they are planning to hold Housing Needs Assessment interviews starting this month so I could not risk missing it - they have 5 Customer Transitions Advisors - only 1 I have met before. So lots of uncertainty and I don't have a timeframe so not a clue - where or when I will move.

so sorry but we will not have our Glasto drink this year. Send me a PM when you get back 

14 hours ago, MrZigster said:

From the training. Must arrive between 10am and 6pm.

You should've had this survival guide in May too. 

Glastonbury Survival Guide.pdf

16 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

And for the people volunteering who camp off site, park next to where they camp and walk to the camp site HQ and are passed a hi viz as part of their arrival process?

It's not Facebook this forum. We are better than the that.

Let's let the organisers call the shots and not us idiots 

I - genuinely - don’t get your point. 

If anyone on here is a litterpicker and you’re arriving before Wednesday you MUST bring your own high vis, because Critical Waste aren’t supplying them.

end of message.