Tramlines 2024

sheffinghell

1 hour ago, AM0114 said:

Anyone got any recommendations on getting a taxi back to town after the headliner and not having to wait an age?

anyone pre booked in the past?

Be better of going for a pint after in one of the local pubs and use Uber or what ever city taxis are called these days. Either that or walk towards town on penistone road and try flag a black cab but be warned we tried that last year and drivers wanted silly money cash up front. 

Edited by Dronx

3 hours ago, AM0114 said:

Anyone got any recommendations on getting a taxi back to town after the headliner and not having to wait an age?

anyone pre booked in the past?

Personally I would walk or as suggested by @Dronx go for a pint. Having attended many Sheffield Wednesday matches close by the roads will be gridlocked for a considerable amount of time. 😊

Edited by StoneCircle

21 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

This year's craft beer offering. Looks like it's situated where Lidl was last year, at the side of the Leadmill tent, left of Main stage.

Screenshot_20240724-195854.png

A bit more on some of the beers

Screenshot_20240725-170256.png

Loved the nice weather and the sets from Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Bombay Bicycle Club today, but it feels like Tramlines is going through a period of shrinkflation. It feels like there are bigger gaps between the acts on the main stages, and even though I follow a lot of new artists, the acts on the Leadmill and Library stages seem to get more obscure every year (and rarely yield any pleasant surprises). As a non-local, I'm not the typical Tramlines festivalgoer, but I'd really prefer to pay more for a festival that had a stronger overall lineup. 

Feels less than half the capacity today. 

One interesting development.. the real ale tent has got some different beers on today vs yesterday. Sadly the Abbeydale Affogato stout didn't make the cut for today.

18 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

Feels less than half the capacity today. 

noticed the same. Was shocked how easy it was to move through crowd for Jamie T. Was acres of space and could walk to the very front with ease. Though considering the shambolic performance he put on (and was already a weak booking so doesn't have the hits to carry him) maybe I shouldn't have been. 

3 minutes ago, thatTFBguy said:

noticed the same. Was shocked how easy it was to move through crowd for Jamie T. Was acres of space and could walk to the very front with ease. Though considering the shambolic performance he put on (and was already a weak booking so doesn't have the hits to carry him) maybe I shouldn't have been. 

What was so bad about his performance? He's been solid the few times I've seen him (albeit in clubs/academies)

15 minutes ago, sacred shape said:

What was so bad about his performance? He's been solid the few times I've seen him (albeit in clubs/academies)

Played insanely sloppy. Kept going on bizarre rants about how much he "didn't care" and then ended with a weird speech slanging off the people of Sheffield. Also barely sung his biggest hits, letting his band do the heavy lifting. Seemed either blind drunk or on something stronger. And like I said, doesn't help that he lacks the hit to keep casuals engaged throughout the set. 

Snow Patrol the real winners. They only need to put in a 6/10 to be comfortably viewed as the headliner of the weekend. 

3 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Played insanely sloppy. Kept going on bizarre rants about how much he "didn't care" and then ended with a weird speech slanging off the people of Sheffield. Also barely sung his biggest hits, letting his band do the heavy lifting. Seemed either blind drunk or on something stronger. And like I said, doesn't help that he lacks the hit to keep casuals engaged throughout the set. 

Snow Patrol the real winners. They only need to put in a 6/10 to be comfortably viewed as the headliner of the weekend. 

Wow that is dissapointing. Glad I didn't go

Posted (edited)

I didn't stay for Jamie T. On a high from Peace headlining the Leadmill, so didn't want to spoil it. Peace and Yard Act fully earned their lesser headline slots. 

This was actually the first festival I've ever been to where I didn't feel the need to see any of the main stage headlines. Enjoyable enough as a weekend though, especially as the weather gods were kind.

Edited by sheffinghell

2 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

On a high from Peace headlining the Leadmill, so didn't want to spoil it

Didn't know a single Peace song before (apart from a couple lines of Liquid Glass) and they were still my set of the weekend. Absolutely smashed it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Never really been their biggest fan but they were by far and away the best headliner, even without Jamie T's on-stage meltdown on Saturday night.

Overall a decent weekend and certainly helped by the good weather.  

Think the weekend was rescued by the more pop / heritage acts with Human League, Example, Sophie Ellis Bextor and Tom Grennan all putting in crowd pleasing performances.  On the back of the success of McFly and Sugarbabes last year the Tramlines Bookers need to take note.  They are not exactly my taste normally but ideal for the Tramlines Main Stage clientele. 

Snow Patrol were a solid closing act and easily the best of the three Headliners but do feel sorry that Paul Heaton did not have that crowd and weather last year as he was excellent.  Still think the best Sunday Headliner has been Nile Rogers though.

I didn't hunt out as much in the Tents as I normally do but stand out was Peace and also Balancing Act who I stumbled on.   Also took in the excellent Sam Scherdel, Franz Von and The Lilacs at the Library Stage.

Other than the poor Headline Acts Friday and Saturday my main gripe this year was the mid Saturday afternoon slot.  There was hardly anyone there for Sprints on the main stage.  They would have been ideal in the Leadmill tent but swamped by the main stage.   I seriously wonder if this is a tactic from Tramlines to get people out spending at the outlets. 

• Like 1

Went along for the Friday as the other half was very keen on seeing Paolo Nutini, had to say I mostly enjoyed my first Tramlines experience. Everyone we seen was at least entertaining (looking at you, Sophie Ellis-Bextor).

Bombay were the pick of the day for me, think the day would have benefitted from maybe giving both BBC and Paolo 90mins each instead of 1hr for BBC vs. 2hr for Paolo. I thought Paolo sounded absolutely brilliant and I am not that big of fan really, but he did not really work as a festival headliner. There were points were I could not hear him at all because everyone was just chatting in every direction.

I do think the festival could benefit from a cheap and easy burger van too. Craft food stalls are nice early doors but when you're looking for a bite to eat later on and there's queues half a mile long for a £15 plate of 3 chicken nuggets and some 'seasoned fries' it's just ridiculous.

Pretty much echo'ing the above.

The headliners definitely lacked the punch of previous years.

Paulo is a great vocalist, but in a field mainly consisting of casuals, that slower style of music in a 2 hour set was hard to really get into. Playing his more well known songs about half way through was unusual choice as well. I did enjoy the last couple of songs which had more of an upbeat edge to them. I'd never heard them before but they certainly recovered a set which i otherwise would have felt a little disappointed with.

Jamie T, I've always thought was a bit overrated. He did a good job of confirming my suspicions with a very lackluster set, he clearly didn't want to be there and the band we're doing all the leg work... lets not have him back please.

Snow Patrol were good. Felt sorry for Gary as he had the sun right in his eyes for the first hour of the set, loved his stage presence and little honest comments between songs. You can tell they are well seasoned in the circuit, very professional and still a brilliant act.

The undercard was weaker than last year but Tom Grennan and Example were our highlights. Got a good atmosphere going and brought a proper festival feel to the place. We missed Sophie Ellis Bextor on the Friday, but i heard nothing but positivity from those who saw her as well.

I keep hoping this year suffered as a result of all the money they poured into fixing the park, rather than greed from our corporate overlords. Maybe next year the lineup will feel a bit fuller again.

The 1 hour gap between acts and stage timings were very noticeable. I don't think we've ever had large gaps where there's literally no-one playing on any of the 3 main stages at the same time.  It has a knock on effect in terms of food stalls as well. With everyone keen to not miss the few bigger act, everyone piled in to grab food at the same time, resulting in wait times of well over an hour. 

We still had a good weekend, the price of a nice warm can of lager wasn't too offensive and the food quality was a smidge better than previously. Tramlines is usually our only festival of the year, we've only ever missed one in its entire history, but i am left thinking maybe its time to look elsewhere for next year, dependent on the lineup.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sheffinghell said:

I didn't stay for Jamie T. On a high from Peace headlining the Leadmill, so didn't want to spoil it. Peace and Yard Act fully earned their lesser headline slots. 

This was actually the first festival I've ever been to where I didn't feel the need to see any of the main stage headlines. Enjoyable enough as a weekend though, especially as the weather gods were kind.

17 hours ago, thatTFBguy said:

Didn't know a single Peace song before (apart from a couple lines of Liquid Glass) and they were still my set of the weekend. Absolutely smashed it. 

12 hours ago, Hirstys 12th Pint said:

Peace were fantastic.  Same as you did not know any of their stuff until a couple of weeks ago.

Very pleased to read this about Peace. Been listening to them since they came out in 2013, excellent band and good to have them back on the circuit. From Under Liquid Glass is an absolute top drawer song for me also

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, the hitcher said:

I’m hoping for fontains playing Finsbury and headlining tramlines like Sam fender did but think it might just be wishful thinking 😅 

I’d be a massive fan of a fontaines headline but really can’t see it as they aren’t accessible enough