Latitude 2024

chrisplowman

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

I thought this might happen after seeing the Brighton stuff. I guess Isle of Wight will give the best idea of how far its going to go (as in whether the really big acts botcott it)

I’m off to IOW and was wondering this.  Think Wunderhorse pulled out of something (The great escape) so guessing they’ll go from IOW too. 

58 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’m off to IOW and was wondering this.  Think Wunderhorse pulled out of something (The great escape) so guessing they’ll go from IOW too. 

Wunderhorse played The Great Escape by the looks of it. Maybe headliner was more binding as a contract? I did read some would've been made actually bankrupt if they did pull out

Another big factor will be the arts lineup too, I could see many of the comedy stage acts pulling out if it went ahead - the whole war is very big and horrific news and I can't see Festival Republic (especially Melvin Benn) wanting to be dragged into it too with these links, its very important this is raised at this point 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Maybe headliner was more binding as a contract?

All acts should have the right to pull out if they're unhappy with the situation but I wonder how legally binding it could all be for them if they wish not to perform because the sponsorship 

25 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

All acts should have the right to pull out if they're unhappy with the situation but I wonder how legally binding it could all be for them if they wish not to perform because the sponsorship 

Can imagine it will go into future contracts but assume it wasn't foreseen. I'm sure many would say principles over profit but if you're in a position where you basically lose enough to go bankrupt there's got to be a balance. I think anyway, I'm sure that's not the majority view. 

Will be interesting to see where it goes, e.g. does it extend to all Festival Republic events as they are overall a Barclays sponsor?

PepsiCo seem to be on a boycott list, and they own Rockstar Energy so could it extend to Reading too? Will be interesting to see how they handle it all anyway! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

58 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wunderhorse played The Great Escape by the looks of it. Maybe headliner was more binding as a contract? I did read some would've been made actually bankrupt if they did pull out

Oh did they! Sure I read they pulled out… maybe they tried and like you say failed. 

53 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Will be interesting to see where it goes, e.g. does it extend to all Festival Republic events as they are overall a Barclays sponsor?

PepsiCo seem to be on a boycott list, and they own Rockstar Energy so could it extend to Reading too? Will be interesting to see how they handle it all anyway! 

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/festivals

These are the events Barclays have some form of involvement with, even if they aren't the main sponsor. Thats a lot of major festivals which could be affected by act boycotts - This is the ultimate first world problem but it wouldn't be a good look for the promoters if they have acts pulling out on this scale, especially on concert series events 

As you say it'll be interesting to see how far it goes and if there's any sort of response because CMAT had a pretty big slot on the Saturday 

With the situation in Palestine worsening every day it's hard to see how this won't cause more pressure on them to drop the sponsorship 

2 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/festivals

These are the events Barclays have some form of involvement with, even if they aren't the main sponsor. Thats a lot of major festivals which could be affected by act boycotts - This is the ultimate first world problem but it wouldn't be a good look for the promoters if they have acts pulling out on this scale, especially on concert series events 

As you say it'll be interesting to see how far it goes and if there's any sort of response because CMAT had a pretty big slot on the Saturday 

With the situation in Palestine worsening every day it's hard to see how this won't cause more pressure on them to drop the sponsorship 

That's interesting, Reading and Leeds don't mention it on their site. Looks like there was a pre sale but they're not on the partners page 

I suppose a bellwether will be Isle of Wight in a few weeks as it's the same main sponsor, not 100% sure on how many crossovers there are between lineups but it'll be more likely to see there 

Purely out of interest does anyone know if there was anything like this last year? There obviously wasn't a big scale dropout of acts but under the same sponsorship I wasn't sure if any similar concerns around it had been raised? 

On 6/3/2024 at 10:09 PM, Chapple12345 said:

I suppose a bellwether will be Isle of Wight in a few weeks as it's the same main sponsor, not 100% sure on how many crossovers there are between lineups but it'll be more likely to see there 

Purely out of interest does anyone know if there was anything like this last year? There obviously wasn't a big scale dropout of acts but under the same sponsorship I wasn't sure if any similar concerns around it had been raised? 

It seems tied to the current Israel/Palestine post October situation, so I think the specific action is new (though I'm sure they were on the very large boycott list before!) 

https://x.com/LatitudeFest/status/1798664295758315680?t=ydQdIpGXNMZHf2IlDOXwpA&s=19

Interesting other than the poster there's no mention of sponsors in this post, they usually mention it 

To me this means they're either 

A) trying to sweep it all under the rug and not mention it 

B) are in the process of dropping them and sorting things out behind the scenes

Because it's a higher profile event than Great Escape, it's likely to get more scrutiny and attention so I'm interested to see what happens next. I guess a lot of the acts higher up will have watertight contracts so may make it harder for them to take action like others 

Edited by Chapple12345

Have Ash pulled out? They are still on the Latitude website but it's not listed on Ash's official site or their socials, pretty sure they posted about it. They are now playing Colchester two weeks before, previously they were not on that lineup but were doing other legs of the same event. 

9 hours ago, modefan said:

Have Ash pulled out? They are still on the Latitude website but it's not listed on Ash's official site or their socials, pretty sure they posted about it. They are now playing Colchester two weeks before, previously they were not on that lineup but were doing other legs of the same event. 

Most of the acts dropping out of festivals have publicly announced it rather than just going off the lineup so I'm not too sure

https://x.com/LankumDublin/status/1800880892925395167?t=Qo0G_ACnwnd_RfMYbM7A4A&s=19

This was an interesting statement from Lankum who are due to headline one of the days in the tent, it seems they're working alongside others rather than outright pulling out

34 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I mean genuine kudos to them for doing so, it must have been an immense amount of pressure from the acts to do so if the festival have dropped their main sponsor 

I wonder if those who have pulled out will rejoin the lineup now, many of them said they loved the festival and would happily come back if Barclays was dropped 

A couple of the comedians who dropped out have now rejoined the lineup, I noticed they haven't formally replaced any of the music acts who withdrew so I suppose there's a chance they'll come back too. I know CMAT said she'd be willing to reconsider if Barclays were dropped which they obviously now have been

I guess the festival knew if they never formally announced them being taken off the bill then they can quietly be added again with the average attendee not noticing 

CMAT, Pillow Queens, Georgia Ruth and Mui Zyu who all pulled out as part of the Barclays boycott have now returned to the poster and their artist profiles are back on the website too, I guess it means they're still going to be performing which is great news 

After a mixed start for me this is looking a far better lineup for me, I'm very excited to get back there this time next month 

Screenshot_20240626_162815_Chrome.jpg

Posting as a 'former' Latituder that enjoyed 10 pretty good (and initially wonderful) years in a row prior to COVID. I'd still say that the festival has clearly moved away from the dynamic that drew me in, but also do want it to succeed. I am glad that Melvin has learned the hard way what big corporate sponsorship can do to a festival, but also really glad that all those going get their line up back.

I'm still going to struggle to return with the loss of the arts stages combined with the 2nd class treatment of standard campers plus the cheesy Obelisk headliners (vs how it used to be), but have to say there is some really good stuff in the lineup this year and wish you all a brilliant time. Fat Dog, English Teacher headlining, BRJ and Mary it Junkyard plus the Thursday sets all make the Sunrise look as good as it ever was.

• Upvote 1

Managed to catch several of the acts playing at Glasto on the livestream and it looks like we're going to have some fantastic sets over the course of the weekend - Kasabian were fantastic and I think London Grammar will be very very special 

The app is now live to add acts to your favourites, no set times yet but they'll probably be done in the next week or so