Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

16 hours ago, ReljaGajić said:

After seeing the videos of Charli XCX at Primavera Sound, I really wish Sziget had booked her instead of some of the headliners we got 😭

Leaks said they were negotiating don't know why it failed. 

Do we think the poor ticket and on-site accomodation sales this year is predominantly a good thing or bad thing for the festival moving forward?

Good in the sense that it's a kick up the ass for the organizers, that they can't just churn out a sh*tty uninspired line-up and have it sell out still. And bad in the sense that this might cause serious financial strain on the festival, limiting the pulling power moving forward.

1 hour ago, Tinsel19 said:

Do we think the poor ticket and on-site accomodation sales this year is predominantly a good thing or bad thing for the festival moving forward?

Good in the sense that it's a kick up the ass for the organizers, that they can't just churn out a sh*tty uninspired line-up and have it sell out still. And bad in the sense that this might cause serious financial strain on the festival, limiting the pulling power moving forward.

I don't see it as a good or bad thing, lineups are poor this year and certainly moving away from guitar bands. 

Sziget isn't all of a sudden going to have goid lineups, it's generally bad. Even the likes of mad cool and werchter are struggling with lineups and ticket sales. 

So I don't see a sparse crowd is all of a sudden going to get you great headliners. They might get foo fighters next year. 

Not many are happy with the lineup, I am pretty happy with it to be honest and lots for my tastes. What would you change? Perhaps a couple of the headliners are only missing, from a typical Sziget lineup. It seems people would love a huge name, even if they did not actually like them.

I will not see all these, but will try and check them out. Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Monday are great days. 

Wednesday

Tom Odell

Fisher

Kylie

L'imperatrice

Barry can't swim

Thursday

Grandson

Aurora

Meute

Friday

Ari Abdul

Stormzy

Gallagher

Kevin de vries

Saturday

Zoe Wees

Bebe Rexha

Mo

Sunday

Becky Hill

Editors

Fontaines

Crystal Fighters

Kiasmos

Modeselektor

Monday

Wednesday

Raye

Skrillex

Fred Again

Big thief

Overmono

3 hours ago, thetime said:

Not many are happy with the lineup, I am pretty happy with it to be honest and lots for my tastes. What would you change? Perhaps a couple of the headliners are only missing, from a typical Sziget lineup. It seems people would love a huge name, even if they did not actually like them.

I will not see all these, but will try and check them out. Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Monday are great days. 

Wednesday

Tom Odell

Fisher

Kylie

L'imperatrice

Barry can't swim

Thursday

Grandson

Aurora

Meute

Friday

Ari Abdul

Stormzy

Gallagher

Kevin de vries

Saturday

Zoe Wees

Bebe Rexha

Mo

Sunday

Becky Hill

Editors

Fontaines

Crystal Fighters

Kiasmos

Modeselektor

Monday

Wednesday

Raye

Skrillex

Fred Again

Big thief

Overmono

For me Wednesday is the busiest, but here's my list so far (didn't include circus, magic mirror and dance performances)

Wednesday

Blondshell (?)

Tom Odell

Fisher

Joost

Kylie

L'imperatrice

Marc Rebillet

Artemas

Dom Dolla

Loco Dice

Barry Can't Swim

Richie Hawtin

Thursday

Dagny (?)

Joker Out 

Halsey

Aurora

Meute

Honey Dijon

Friday

Yves Tumor

Stormzy

Liam Gallagher

Apashe with Brass Orchestra

Joris Voorn (?)

Saturday

Bebe Rexha

Louis Tomlinson (?)

Martin Garrix

MO

Secret Guest in Party Arena (Martin Garrix)

Neil Frances

Sam Paganini (?)

Ellen Allien (?)

Sunday

Becky Hill (?)

Janelle Monae

Sam Smith

Kiasmos (?)

Sven Vath

Monday

Raye

Skrillex

Fred Again..

Four Tet

Overmono (?)

Artbat(?)

Victoria

• Like 1

According to the Hungarian press Sziget closed last year with a huge loss. The deficit was 1.8 billion HUF (~4.6 million€). In 2022 they had  355 million(~0.9 million €) HUF of profit.  The revenue of tickets went from 12.4 billion HUF(~32 million €) of 2022 to 9.3 billion HUF (23.8 million €) of 2023.  
They also mentioned that the owner will provide the money that’s needed for the day-to-day operation and will help arrange the financial situation by the end of the year.

I think the sh*t is deeper than we thought.

11 minutes ago, CCester said:

According to the Hungarian press Sziget closed last year with a huge loss. The deficit was 1.8 billion HUF (~4.6 million€). In 2022 they had  355 million(~0.9 million €) HUF of profit.  The revenue of tickets went from 12.4 billion HUF(~32 million €) of 2022 to 9.3 billion HUF (23.8 million €) of 2023.  
They also mentioned that the owner will provide the money that’s needed for the day-to-day operation and will help arrange the financial situation by the end of the year.

The 2022 line up was Great though. No surprise 2023 didn't sell as well

39 minutes ago, CCester said:

Makes perfect sense, the lack of blockbuster headliners this year. 

40 minutes ago, CCester said:

My god 4,6 million deficit in 2023. I’m afraid they will lose much more this year.

Something needs to change drastically or this festival’s slowly getting to it’s final chapter.

I'm wondering if, only if, betting on the UNDER 21 years old is the best idea.

I mean, now that I am 36, I have wayyy more money to spend at the festival (drinks, food, merch...) than I use to have at 20 lol

And every year I can see young people bringing their own food to the fest' (which I completely understand)

My point is, should they maybe target an older audience ?

28 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

I'm wondering if, only if, betting on the UNDER 21 years old is the best idea.

I mean, now that I am 36, I have wayyy more money to spend at the festival (drinks, food, merch...) than I use to have at 20 lol

And every year I can see young people bringing their own food to the fest' (which I completely understand)

My point is, should they maybe target an older audience ?

A few festivals are going for the under 21 angle. 36 year old are not the future of festivals, but the past. 

Volt has gone, one would say hungarian festivals are struggling. Perhaps Sziget over reliance on the overseas tickets is beginning to bite. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

A few festivals are going for the under 21 angle. 36 year old are not the future of festivals, but the past. 

Volt has gone, one would say hungarian festivals are struggling. Perhaps Sziget over reliance on the overseas tickets is beginning to bite. 

The 21 angle as you said is the future, indeed... IF there's a future for festivals like this.. !

And I disagree with you about the "36 is the past" : I take the HellFest for example, the average age is between 35 and 45, and the festival health has never been so good, it always sold out within the hour, and every year they break the record for liters of beers sold lol

20 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

The 21 angle as you said is the future, indeed... IF there's a future for festivals like this.. !

And I disagree with you about the "36 is the past" : I take the HellFest for example, the average age is between 35 and 45, and the festival health has never been so good, it always sold out within the hour, and every year they break the record for liters of beers sold lol

Different market

I'm sure the retro festivals are doing well as well. 

4 hours ago, thetime said:

You are old. f**k you. 

edit: in previous years they said Volt and Sound were in always deficit, but they could helped them out with Sziget, as they’re the same company. In the portfolio, Sziget was the only profitable festival. One can only wonder what’s the point of Sound if i cannot produce any profit. Also, I think organisers f**ked up Volt, even Sziget wouldn’t be able to take The Killers and Muse in the same years..At lest it went out with a bang. 

Edited by CCester

39 minutes ago, CCester said:

You are old. f**k you. 

edit: in previous years they said Volt and Sound were in always deficit, but they could helped them out with Sziget, as they’re the same company. In the portfolio, Sziget was the only profitable festival. One can only wonder what’s the point of Sound if i cannot produce any profit. Also, I think organisers f**ked up Volt, even Sziget wouldn’t be able to take The Killers and Muse in the same years..At lest it went out with a bang. 

Wouldn't be surprised if sound goes to be honest.

Sziget was cancelled for two years during the pandemic. If it didn’t provide the economic benefits that it does to Budapest, it might not have survived at all. 2022 needed to happen.   I’m just grateful it’s here in some shape or form. 

I have been fairly blunt in the past over some people’s reaction to this year’s line up. But now the dust has settled (not a joke) I can see why some people are disappointed.
For me Sziget is safe space and a constant through the shitshow of life. Whatever it is for you, you don’t have to say, that’s personal. I’m just saying I get it and understand why you are so passionate about the festival. 

Hope anyone attending has a good time. If this is a the end of the festival or just a time of change, so be it. See you on the beach at sunrise. 

edit: I don’t even like Kylie 

Edited by Number1KylieFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Tom Lobo said:

I miss the tributestage on the timetable, but I found the petöfistage.

Will we get the tributestage later?

I think we will, when you check "stages of Sziget" on thier website, there's "pop tribute stage" on the list

• Thanks 1