Green Man 2024

bexj

On 6/6/2024 at 3:15 PM, Kempleton said:

Thank you.

And thanks for sorting the Clashfinder. Gutted about Royel Otis clashing with Blondshell, but not too bad on the whole.

I wouldn't worry about potential clashes at this very early stage.

Exact timings aren't released until the Monday when programmes go on-sals to settlers.

Jaysus lads, 8 weeks out and not a dickie bird from anybody in a week! I'm going to my first Green Man on my tod and have nobody, NOBODY in the actual or digital world to feed my Green Man excitement. Like, is the Walled Garden an actual Walled Garden and is that as cool as it sounds? If a bloke, say a Guiness drinker in day to day life, fancied a fruity, session type, cloudy IPA as his festival drink of choice, where might he find that at Green Man? Are Brown Horse actual cowboys from Norwich and should I go with my gut and watch them over Mannequin Pussy? So many questions lads and nobody to provide assistance. It's entirely unacceptable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Jaysus lads, 8 weeks out and not a dickie bird from anybody in a week! I'm going to my first Green Man on my tod and have nobody, NOBODY in the actual or digital world to feed my Green Man excitement. Like, is the Walled Garden an actual Walled Garden and is that as cool as it sounds? If a bloke, say a Guiness drinker in day to day life, fancied a fruity, session type, cloudy IPA as his festival drink of choice, where might he find that at Green Man? Are Brown Horse actual cowboys from Norwich and should I go with my gut and watch them over Mannequin Pussy? So many questions lads and nobody to provide assistance. It's entirely unacceptable. 

As a Guinness drinker with a want for a fruity session type you will have a ball! There is a HUGE area dedicated just to small craft breweries and I think last year there were over 100 different drinks to try, you'll just need to control yourself. 

I do love your enthusiasm btw 😄

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CbmRules said:

As a Guinness drinker with a want for a fruity session type you will have a ball! There is a HUGE area dedicated just to small craft breweries and I think last year there were over 100 different drinks to try, you'll just need to control yourself. 

I do love your enthusiasm btw 😄

That's what I'm talking about CbmRules! I'm all about the practical tips. A mini beer festival within the festival is verging on Garden of Eden stuff but I'll need specific suggestions if I'm to avoid writing myself of in the spirit of experimentation. I'm not the man I used to be when it comes to daytime scoops. If the truth be told, the man I used to be wasn't up to much. So yeah, if you lovely people could narrow it down for me, that would be deadly. Fruity pale ales, creamy stouts, I'm entirely open to suggestion. 

49 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

That's what I'm talking about CbmRules! I'm all about the practical tips. A mini beer festival within the festival is verging on Garden of Eden stuff but I'll need specific suggestions if I'm to avoid writing myself of in the spirit of experimentation. I'm not the man I used to be when it comes to daytime scoops. If the truth be told, the man I used to be wasn't up to much. So yeah, if you lovely people could narrow it down for me, that would be deadly. Fruity pale ales, creamy stouts, I'm entirely open to suggestion. 

The festival program includes a full list of all the beers available. I guess there are changes every year but if you find a decent one, beware they tend to run low by Sunday. The image below is from 2014 

image.png.1338921584968fa6c50f97843601f5e6.png
The walled garden is my favourite area. Very chilled and close to the beer tent (probably why it’s so chilled).

Other reasons why I love GM - all the stages are within a few minutes walk and arena to camping is the same, so easy to pop back and get supplies. Great for the ever changing weather! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

The festival program includes a full list of all the beers available. I guess there are changes every year but if you find a decent one, beware they tend to run low by Sunday. The image below is from 2014 

image.png.1338921584968fa6c50f97843601f5e6.png
The walled garden is my favourite area. Very chilled and close to the beer tent (probably why it’s so chilled).

Other reasons why I love GM - all the stages are within a few minutes walk and arena to camping is the same, so easy to pop back and get supplies. Great for the ever changing weather! 

What a visceral example of how inflation has ripped through festivals in the last decade. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Maybe it's because they are from the same region, Brown Horse had a big crowd at Brighten the Corners Festival in Ipswich at the weekend and are pretty good. Very different to Mannequin Pussy so I guess who you choose is down to your tastes (I'll be seeing MP). 

Plenty to choose from the beer festival area, which is quite central within the site. I think a marmalade IPA was my standout last year but I assume every year will have different options. Unlike other festivals at GM it's easier to find good beers than bad bland corporate ones.   

My pic of boards from last year shows pints to be £6. Up from the £4 pictured above in 2014 I think is acceptable, it's reflective of the outside world rather than festival-specific inflationary rip-off.  

7 minutes ago, modefan said:

Maybe it's because they are from the same region, Brown Horse had a big crowd at Brighten the Corners Festival in Ipswich at the weekend and are pretty good. Very different to Mannequin Pussy so I guess who you choose is down to your tastes (I'll be seeing MP). 

Plenty to choose from the beer festival area, which is quite central within the site. I think a marmalade IPA was my standout last year but I assume every year will have different options. Unlike other festivals at GM it's easier to find good beers than bad bland corporate ones.   

My pic of boards from last year shows pints to be £6. Up from the £4 pictured above in 2014 I think is acceptable, it's reflective of the outside world rather than festival-specific inflationary rip-off.  

My taste is a pretty broad church and the variety of acts and genres is one of the best things about the weekend for me. Look, both sound great, I'm on a winner one way or the other. 6 quid a pint last year sounds great, had it in my head that pints at EOTR were 7.50. I may have dreamed that. Thanks for the pointers all. Keep 'em coming!

15 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

If I can twist your arm on a cider, the Summer Funshine is an absolute Green Man staple for me.

In terms of beers... I can't believe nobody else has mentioned this yet, but GO SEE PETE BROWN MATCH THE BEERS TO THE BANDS. Pete Brown is a food/drink/social history writer. Each year he goes through the lineup and pairs a few bands with some of the beers they have on. If that doesn't entirely make sense, then... well, I won't spoil it. He explains it better than I could.

But suffice to say that it is hilarious, and they give you actual free beer while he plays the songs. Really whets the appetite for both the boozes and the bands. More than once I've ended up seeing someone I didn't have on my list as a result.

9 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

My taste is a pretty broad church and the variety of acts and genres is one of the best things about the weekend for me. Look, both sound great, I'm on a winner one way or the other. 6 quid a pint last year sounds great, had it in my head that pints at EOTR were 7.50. I may have dreamed that. Thanks for the pointers all. Keep 'em coming!

Oh, and on MP v Brown Horse...... Aye. I'm still hoping that clash doesn't actually materialise, but if it does I'm torn. Think I want to see Brown Horse more, but figure I'm less likely to see MP any other time (American, and probably not someone I'd go see as a headliner).

5 minutes ago, Jetshymotion said:

If I can twist your arm on a cider, the Summer Funshine is an absolute Green Man staple for me.

In terms of beers... I can't believe nobody else has mentioned this yet, but GO SEE PETE BROWN MATCH THE BEERS TO THE BANDS. Pete Brown is a food/drink/social history writer. Each year he goes through the lineup and pairs a few bands with some of the beers they have on. If that doesn't entirely make sense, then... well, I won't spoil it. He explains it better than I could.

But suffice to say that it is hilarious, and they give you actual free beer while he plays the songs. Really whets the appetite for both the boozes and the bands. More than once I've ended up seeing someone I didn't have on my list as a result.

I'm entirely open to having my arm twisted but I'm cautious on the cider front. We're probably cider philistines over here but I'm used to the likes of Bulmers, a carbonated cider, delicious on a sunny day. I tried a couple from the cider bus at EOTR and they were FLAT!! I couldn't be doing with that at all. But hey, let's rule nothing out. It's a voyage of musical and alcoholic discovery. Pete sounds brilliant but ludicrously for a midday slot, appears to be clashing at the moment with Opus Kink, who I quite like the sound of. The festival Gods will assuredly sort out all these little issues with the final shake of the Clashfinder and I'll miss absolutely nothing.😉

52 minutes ago, Jetshymotion said:

I've been to Green Man 3 times and never even knew this existed! Now on my must-see list. More of this kind of thing please folks.

• Upvote 1

The cider bar has not quite as many beers as the beer festival bar....but its pretty damn awesome both by festival and by normal pub standards.  I vaguely remember Naughty Horse and Very Naughty Horse being my downfall last year.

This year, will be my first booze free festival ever.... gulp

My top Greenman tip... don't forget to check out the Rising Stage, they have some awesome stuff on there.  

I spend much of my time in the Far Out tent, front right, but I do love a Sunday morning chill in the Walled Garden!

1 hour ago, Stillill42 said:

I tried a couple from the cider bus at EOTR and they were FLAT!! I couldn't be doing with that at all. 

I can't believe you are saying that out loud. It's like saying "I tried some fine French red wine from a small vineyard but I can't be doing with that. Give me some Echo Falls"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, modefan said:

I can't believe you are saying that out loud. It's like saying "I tried some fine French red wine from a small vineyard but I can't be doing with that. Give me some Echo Falls"

Ha! I've already outed myself as a Philistine. Educate me! 

Some of the flat ciders are lovely, but its a bit of guesswork as to which taste like ditch water and which smell sweetly of apple!  Either way, they usually deserve to be treated with caution!