Green Man 2024

bexj

Always helpful to get a top ten started for myself to try to put some manners on my weekend. In no particular order..

Big Thief (Osees)

Jesus and Mary Chain

Sleaford Mods

Personal Trainer

Big Special 

Getdown services

Mannequin Pussy (Brown Horse)

Wednesday 

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Metz

Tough one. I could do another 2 of those easy. What, no Mary Wallopers? No John Francis Flynn?? Deeply unpatriotic. I'll have a different list by next week. I'm just getting myself up and running. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:46 AM, Stillill42 said:

My taste is a pretty broad church and the variety of acts and genres is one of the best things about the weekend for me. Look, both sound great, I'm on a winner one way or the other. 6 quid a pint last year sounds great, had it in my head that pints at EOTR were 7.50. I may have dreamed that. Thanks for the pointers all. Keep 'em coming!

Be interesting to see the price of a pint this year. I paid nearly 9.00 for a pint of Doombar and a bag of crisps last night in Bristol. I’m still reeling (but not from the Doombar which was pretty crap as ever). Has anyone been to any festivals yet and can report on prices being charged? 

1 hour ago, Stillill42 said:

Always helpful to get a top ten started for myself to try to put some manners on my weekend. In no particular order..

Big Thief (Osees)

Jesus and Mary Chain

Sleaford Mods

Personal Trainer

Big Special 

Getdown services

Mannequin Pussy (Brown Horse)

Wednesday 

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Metz

Tough one. I could do another 2 of those easy. What, no Mary Wallopers? No John Francis Flynn?? Deeply unpatriotic. I'll have a different list by next week. I'm just getting myself up and running. 

Good list. And like you mine changes all the time. Tbf I end up spending most of the festival at the Walled or Rising in the end. Nothing will stop me seeing Big Thief and FWF though!

Fat White Family

Black Country, New Road

Big Thief

This Is The Kit

Devendra Banhart

Julia Holter

Nadine Shah

Muireann Bradley

Marta Del Grandi

Hurray For The Riff Raff

Johnny Flynn

Blonde Redhead

Rachael Lavelle 

Oracle Sisters

9 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Good list. And like you mine changes all the time. Tbf I end up spending most of the festival at the Walled or Rising in the end. Nothing will stop me seeing Big Thief and FWF though!

Fat White Family

Black Country, New Road

Big Thief

This Is The Kit

Devendra Banhart

Julia Holter

Nadine Shah

Muireann Bradley

Marta Del Grandi

Hurray For The Riff Raff

Johnny Flynn

Blonde Redhead

Rachael Lavelle 

Oracle Sisters

Ah nice. A more chilled bunch than mine. Nadine, Bonde Redhead, This is the Kit and Marta all on my embryonic Clashfinder. Loving Marta particularly. Rachel Lavelle and Muireann Bradley both excellent and I saw the Oracle Sisters in the sun on the main stage at EOTR last year and really enjoyed them.

49 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Be interesting to see the price of a pint this year. I paid nearly 9.00 for a pint of Doombar and a bag of crisps last night in Bristol. I’m still reeling (but not from the Doombar which was pretty crap as ever). Has anyone been to any festivals yet and can report on prices being charged? 

Was £7.50 a pint at Wide Awake for the ‘local’ breweries - Brixton etc. 

1 hour ago, Stillill42 said:

Ah nice. A more chilled bunch than mine. Nadine, Bonde Redhead, This is the Kit and Marta all on my embryonic Clashfinder. Loving Marta particularly. Rachel Lavelle and Muireann Bradley both excellent and I saw the Oracle Sisters in the sun on the main stage at EOTR last year and really enjoyed them.

That’s good to know about the Oracle Sisters. Yes my list is a bit chilled and probably reflects my listening online etc. I’ll probably welcome the opportunity to shake things up a bit once I’m there. Amyl and the Sniffers were definitely one of my highlights last year!

17 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Ouch. I expect GM will be similar. I better get looking for change down the sofa. 

GM is good though, in the sense that no one will be bothered if you take your own tipple into the arena areas. I wouldn't parade it around, lugging crates around and the such, but a few cans in your back pack (of which you can nip back to the tent very easily no matter where you camp), decanted into one of the festivals cups is generally the done thing.

Highly recommend the booze selection though, including at Wide Awake prices, even the Growler is good for it - best the pants off the generic Carlsberg's/Carlings whatever you get as the standard offering at some places. 

The bars are definitely worth supporting at Green Man and are usually reasonably priced.  The official line is no beer in the arena but I've done around 10 gm's now and never been searched.  If you walk through with an open can, you might get asked to drink it up.  It's really very relaxed and as a result I always get the impression that people support the bars well. 

15 minutes ago, bexj said:

The bars are definitely worth supporting at Green Man and are usually reasonably priced.  The official line is no beer in the arena but I've done around 10 gm's now and never been searched.  If you walk through with an open can, you might get asked to drink it up.  It's really very relaxed and as a result I always get the impression that people support the bars well. 

Well, I'm heading for the prepitched tents and will be arriving without a can to my name, so I at least will be supporting the bars as if my life depended on it. 

7 minutes ago, Stillill42 said:

Well, I'm heading for the prepitched tents and will be arriving without a can to my name, so I at least will be supporting the bars as if my life depended on it. 

Am I right in my recollection of previous posts that you're a solo traveller? We will also be in the pre pitched bit - and will surely have booze to share - you should nip by for a drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

Am I right in my recollection of previous posts that you're a solo traveller? We will also be in the pre pitched bit - and will surely have booze to share - you should nip by for a drink.

Ah cheers Tommy, that's very good of you. I might take you up on that.

6 hours ago, _Tommy_ said:

GM is good though, in the sense that no one will be bothered if you take your own tipple into the arena areas. I wouldn't parade it around, lugging crates around and the such, but a few cans in your back pack (of which you can nip back to the tent very easily no matter where you camp), decanted into one of the festivals cups is generally the done thing.

Highly recommend the booze selection though, including at Wide Awake prices, even the Growler is good for it - best the pants off the generic Carlsberg's/Carlings whatever you get as the standard offering at some places. 

Oh yes I totally agree, GM is the best for quality of what’s available and turning a blind eye to bringing cans in (discretely). Trouble with returning to the tent is last year I nipped back to get a couple of cans, sat down, fell asleep and missed Lankum! 😳 Wont let that happen again! 

Tough one. Parking clash and time-of-day considerations, I'd say the following are most exciting me right now:

Marta del Grandi

Big Thief

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Hotline TNT

Jess Williamson

Mannequin Pussy

Brown Horse

Michael Head and co.

Omar Souleyman

Sheer Mag

Honourable mentions:

The Mary Wallopers
Blondshell

King Creosote

N'famady Kouyate

Julia Holter

A. Savage

Kokoko!

Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog

Gillie

Tinariwen

Wednesday

Ibibio Sound Machine

Edited by Jetshymotion

28 minutes ago, Jetshymotion said:

Tough one. Parking clash and time-of-day considerations, I'd say the following are most exciting me right now:

Marta del Grandi

Big Thief

Hurray for the Riff Raff

Hotline TNT

Jess Williamson

Mannequin Pussy

Brown Horse

Michael Head and co.

Omar Souleyman

Sheer Mag

Honourable mentions:

The Mary Wallopers
Blondshell

King Creosote

N'famady Kouyate

Julia Holter

A. Savage

Kokoko!

Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog

Gillie

Tinariwen

Wednesday

Ibibio Sound Machine

Great list- Looks like we’ll be seeing quite a lot of each other! My worst clash so far is the Michael Head v BCNR but sure l’ll find a way to teleport by then

• Upvote 1

My list…

Osees

Nadine Shah

Personal Trainer

This is the Kit

The Nightingales 

Das Koolies

The WAEVE

Ugly

JJUUJJUU

Cerys Hafana

This may change as I work my way through the playlist 

• Like 1

Fitting into the trend my Current 10 - 

Bdrmm (Which i'm surprised to not see on many lists)

Jesus & The Mary Chain

Wednesday

Hotline TNT

Maruja 

BC/NR

Mannequin Pussy

Sampha

Osees 

Big Special

Special Mentions to Blondshell, Bar Italia, Lime Garden & JOHN

Edited by CRxece_

Can't claim to have formulated a Top 10 yet - a certain 14 month old is severely restricting my music exploration activities but in my limited toes in the water approach i'm building a path through that looks a bit like this:

Thursday:
The Tubs

Liz Lawrence

Sleaford Mods

Friday: 
Lime Garden 
Personal Trainer 
FWF (maybe)
Jon Hopkins (intrigued but worried it might be a bit ambient rather than party party)

Saturday:
King Creosote
Ibibio Sound Machine
Lynks
Mary Wallopers
Sofia Kourtesis / Bryne's Night

Sunday:
Lambrini Girls
Brown Horse
Borough Council
Ezra Collective / Nadine Shah 

Any thoughts on crowd sizes this year for the main headliners? Early GMs that I attended and loved, there were some acts that drew barely enough people to fill a garden let alone a festival, but I’ve noticed that’s changed with the likes of Michael Kiwanuka, Devo and Kraftwork.
Really love Big Thief but I’d barely heard of Jon Hopkins and wouldn’t know a Sampha tune if it bit me on the arse! And with the demographic of the festival swinging more towards families, are they the target audience for the above?