Green Man 2024

bexj

23 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

A couple of random stalls tend to offer phone charging too, like the camping supplies stall did in 2022 (by the entrance to the kids area).

Not that it matters anyway, you won't have signal. You might as well bring a family of pigeons if you want to contact home on a regular basis. 

Last year the only time I got a signal was around 7 am in the morning for about an hour, when suddenly all my messages and notifications came through at once. The rest of the day nothing! I was quite pleased to be honest, glad to have a phone detox occasionally. 

43 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

A couple of random stalls tend to offer phone charging too, like the camping supplies stall did in 2022 (by the entrance to the kids area).

Not that it matters anyway, you won't have signal. You might as well bring a family of pigeons if you want to contact home on a regular basis. 

😅 the sweet spot for me last year was a 2m wide area at the very edge of the Far Out tent where I had perfect reception. Everywhere else - nada 

1 hour ago, mario man said:

😅 the sweet spot for me last year was a 2m wide area at the very edge of the Far Out tent where I had perfect reception. Everywhere else - nada 

Thanks all. Sounds like most festivals I've been to with bad phone signal! I'll let folks know not to expect much contact.

12 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Thanks for posting these. I’ve been to GM lots and never been aware of so many signings before? There seems quite a lot up there, do we think that some of the stripped back sessions they put on throughout the weekend in the rough trade tent, will reflect the above, and if not any thoughts on who might play? 

Worth noting that the stripped back sessions were only 3 songs and sometimes the soundcheck took longer!

11 hours ago, mahoney said:

I'm sure the previous 3 years I've been they have said that.. but they never do bag checks as you enter the arena. I think into the Walled Garden if you walk around with a can they'll take it off you. I just always bring in half a dozen cans for the day then pour them into a cup then buy any extras I want as the day goes on. 

Hopefully this is still the case as I don't fancy carting all my booze there to then not be able to drink it. 

There were a few very zealous security types in the Walled Garden last year but they only really targeted people being very blatant or dicks. Like waving around cans of Carling in front of their faces. 

10 hours ago, Jeel said:

There were a few very zealous security types in the Walled Garden last year but they only really targeted people being very blatant or dicks. Like waving around cans of Carling in front of their faces. 

😁 I don’t think I’ve ever seen Carling at Green Man! Old Speckled Hen and the odd can of Abbotts maybe.

4 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

😁 I don’t think I’ve ever seen Carling at Green Man! Old Speckled Hen and the odd can of Abbotts maybe.

There were locals, I presume, drinking crap lager. They get day tickets and you can't blame them for bringing there own, but it got kid of obvious at one point last year. 

If you were that way inclined and wanted something cold, the local off-licence were selling 2-pint bottles of local ale and a good range of cans. 

Edited by Jeel
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jeel said:

It seemed like they didn’t get the memo that it’s a laid back fest with little to no trouble. It’s like they’d shipped in some night club bouncers. They did seem to calm down after the day or two. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cherrytree13 said:

It seemed like they didn’t get the memo that it’s a laid back fest with little to no trouble. It’s like they’d shipped in some night club bouncers. They did seem to calm down after the day or two. 

I saw a supervisor having a word with them and essentially saying don't bother unless they're misbehaving/chucking them around. Quite a few people smuggling stuff in were very bad at finding bins.

So if the camping area for settlers is cordoned off from the rest, does it get packed in there or is there free space? We’re settling but getting there Tuesday afternoon. 

guess there’s no point worrying as there’s nothing to be done! 

can’t wait now, so close! Bring it on. 

15 minutes ago, Kastrol said:

What's the consensus on the best time to arrive on Thursday?

Would like to avoid getting up at the crack of dawn and having a nice breakfast before leaving civilisation, but also want to avoid the worst of the traffic. 

Second this request. Not been for a good few years. I don;t remember it being bad when I last arrived but that was years ago. I'm used to getting up early for Glastonbury but not sure how bad this gets with queueing to get in to the carpark's from 8am as Glastonbury opens the night before. And then not sure how long the queue takes to get going when open at 9am.

TIA for any info.

1 hour ago, monday said:

Second this request. Not been for a good few years. I don;t remember it being bad when I last arrived but that was years ago. I'm used to getting up early for Glastonbury but not sure how bad this gets with queueing to get in to the carpark's from 8am as Glastonbury opens the night before. And then not sure how long the queue takes to get going when open at 9am.

TIA for any info.

They’re opening the car parks earlier this year so am not sure what that will do to traffic queues to get in - probably just means the queues start earlier. We’ve always had about an hour queue to get into car parks arriving anytime between late morning-mid afternoon. 

Another arrival question - what’s the family camping field like for space around late morning? Arriving from Orange gate we’ve never made it that far and usually squeezed in somewhere in General Camping either side of Tangerine fields or up to Settlement Bar. Will it be worth the extra walk up to family field, or is it similar as elsewhere by at that time? Cheers

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

Do they have a stand for artist merch at all or do they only sell their own merch?

the tent just above the courtyard was selling artists merch last year - think it’s run by Rough Trade this year

51 minutes ago, mario man said:

They’re opening the car parks earlier this year so am not sure what that will do to traffic queues to get in - probably just means the queues start earlier. We’ve always had about an hour queue to get into car parks arriving anytime between late morning-mid afternoon. 

Another arrival question - what’s the family camping field like for space around late morning? Arriving from Orange gate we’ve never made it that far and usually squeezed in somewhere in General Camping either side of Tangerine fields or up to Settlement Bar. Will it be worth the extra walk up to family field, or is it similar as elsewhere by at that time? Cheers

I think you should be fine till then. I’ve never had any problem with queuing or get a space, but not sure what the logic or impact opening the gates early will do 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, flannel said:

I'm a first timer - does anyone know if you can return to your car during the fest?

Yeah. My first greenman I slept in my car each night. Not sure you’re supposed to do that…I was young, with a cheap pop up tent, which flooded before I’d even got it up 😂.  Noticed I wasn’t the only one either. 2010 was a mud fest from what I remember.

7 hours ago, Cherrytree13 said:

So if the camping area for settlers is cordoned off from the rest, does it get packed in there or is there free space? We’re settling but getting there Tuesday afternoon. 

guess there’s no point worrying as there’s nothing to be done! 

can’t wait now, so close! Bring it on. 

Most of the Settlers camp in the family campsite, and by Tuesday I would say this is >75% full. But what's not obvious from the published info is that there is another large field on the other side of the Settlers bar which is also available to pitch in. This is not family camping, and becomes a general campsite once the weekend ticket holder arrive on Thurs. I don't think you need to worry.