Green Man 2024

bexj

8 minutes ago, sscrybaby said:

Masala Dosa with onion bhaji was the best meal I had (for both taste and value). Falafel pitta (by mountain stage entrance) was underwhelming- had a nice mozzarella wrap from a nearby mozzarella place. 

Music- loved Michael Head, Sheer Mag, Lonnie Holley, Personal Trainer and Ezra Collective! Would have liked to have seen more but my two pre-schoolers got in the way of that! We all had a brilliant time though- still buzzing! 

Thanks and also saw Michael Head and Sheer Mag and thought both were great. MH was very entertaining too which I like.

• Upvote 1

3rd year in a row for us. We love it. I'd have a couple of bits of feedback, but they get so much right it seems unfair to focus on that.

Weather held-out!

Liz Lawrence, This is The Kit, Tinariwen, Nadine Shah, Pictish Trail, Rachael Lavelle were highlights. Got unlucky with some clashes, but that's life.

Anyone else notice Fiona's slip-of-the-tongue when introducing Sleaford Mods ("Good evening Green Man 2028")? Negotiations BTS ?

A lot of love for the Big Special set. I was there and certainly a contender for best of the weekend. Was lucky to see them properly before they got bigger as the earlier of two supports in a 350-cap venue only last year. Their progression since then in terms of performance and setlist is quite something. 

Thought JAMC were decent enough but an hour was enough, went over to Moonchild Sanelly who is highly rated but was properly underwhelmed, just miming. Reminded me of a PA in a crap nightclub. 

Loose Articles were great, Ibibio Sound Machine a proper feelgood party, Royel Otis a bit too mainstream indie for me but really enjoyed them, Lambrinis was a riot as expected, caught Maruja twice and their unreleased song Don't Look Down On Us is a beast. Nadine Shah was great and a surprisingly different set to what I saw only three weeks ago. Metz, JOHN and Beak> all superb, Liz Lawrence was a great opener. bdrmm seemed to be having a great time and looked pretty hungover the next morning for their secret set which they turned up late for. 

On 8/19/2024 at 11:54 PM, theciderviking said:

First time at GM, and I think I’ve found a new favourite festival! 🥰

Incredible vibe, such a beautiful setting, discovered so much new music and just genuinely felt at home and at peace throughout. ❤️

IMG_7181.thumb.jpeg.6d5786cc293490b37566e344fc3f4c6d.jpegIMG_7099.thumb.jpeg.31f2dc6e305a5ac5b2687129c9772c03.jpegIMG_7075.thumb.jpeg.bca82f4ae1909b9acaad16d20123131f.jpegIMG_7032.thumb.jpeg.e22afd9caed9d509ba444ebaf35f761a.jpegIMG_7019.thumb.jpeg.ec68be9165218ec90ad5d0851098feb8.jpegIMG_7101.thumb.jpeg.b155bf4f940e458d313db573f020efc1.jpegIMG_7224.thumb.jpeg.867e4c300df935b466f97b311267aa04.jpegIMG_7251.thumb.jpeg.baa428a3f6d4c2cfac5cdba9063abc6e.jpegIMG_7295.thumb.jpeg.6eb80443b1a5fc7779421e5cb5bddc89.jpegIMG_7320.thumb.jpeg.fa678adf95dde175d3c7a9f982a2cecf.jpegIMG_7341.thumb.jpeg.841db08ab4a30a6f880b08a8ad321b92.jpeg

IMG_6969.jpeg

interesting chai wallas use the chemical brothers font

2 hours ago, sscrybaby said:

Masala Dosa with onion bhaji was the best meal I had

This was our first meal on the Thursday and agree it was probably the best

My theory is that anything costing £6/7 is likely going to be a false economy and you're better off going for stuff at £11/12/13 which at least should be a decent meal/filling. Obvs there will be exceptions to this 

• Upvote 1

The rotisserie chicken rose me from the grave on sunday, and the tibetan kitchens chicken curry and dhal was also pretty tasty stuff

6 minutes ago, AtomsForPizza said:

My theory is that anything costing £6/7 is likely going to be a false economy and you're better off going for stuff at £11/12/13 which at least should be a decent meal/filling. Obvs there will be exceptions to this 

The £6 cheesy quesadilla was definitely an exception and saved me from an expensive meal a couple of times

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My 7th Green Man and it was right up there for me, particularly given that the line up didn't personally inspire beforehand.

Settlers was wonderful again and pretty much good weather throughout. 

Thought Settlers bands were a tad meh this year but shout out to Water Pistols who did a proper 60/70s psych show including the smoking weed song.

Highlights:

Liz Lawrence, TTSSFU, Humane the Moon [they are going places], MRCY, Jess Williamson [apart from the later songs with terrible backing beats], Julia Holter, bdRmm, Big Thief, Max Cooper [absolutely stand out for me, knocked Jon Hopkins for six both musically and in the most stunning visuals.....and being bang on time], Muireann Bradley, Brown Horse, Borough Council and the still sublime Explosions ITS.

Shout outs:

Nature Kids, Lemoncello, King Krule part of Kimbie, Lynks, Wednesday, Nadine, Blondshell, BCNR.

Definitely agree bars much less busy, and much less rapid sell out of the ales in the courtyard. Combine 6.70 per pint and also Gen Z ers relative sobriety and its perhaps not hard to see why.

Not posting negatives as it is mostly my own subjectivity, APART from the ticketline sh@t show on release day. Please fix before 28th Sept.

Just on the drink prices - gut reaction was that they are pricey, but I think it's like that everywhere now, isn't it? 

I looked-up bar prices for Taylor Swift at Wembley to compare - you would pay £8/pint Stella, £5 for a large coke or £2.50 for a small water. If I go to my local craft beer tap-room it's £7/pint, and they make the stuff next door!!

GM maybe not too bad in comparison... ?

1 hour ago, riverlodge said:

Best food: every cake in Crickhowell's cafes, Cafe Dish and their bhaji wrap, and the chilli cheese dhosas

The food from the on site deli was amazing too. The scotch eggs were so big, I found I didn’t need again to eat until night time and the cakes looked pretty awesome.

35 minutes ago, jimbo_l said:

Just on the drink prices - gut reaction was that they are pricey, but I think it's like that everywhere now, isn't it? 

I looked-up bar prices for Taylor Swift at Wembley to compare - you would pay £8/pint Stella, £5 for a large coke or £2.50 for a small water. If I go to my local craft beer tap-room it's £7/pint, and they make the stuff next door!!

GM maybe not too bad in comparison... ?

Fraid that’s the way it is now. I paid more than GM prices for a pint a the Bristol Beacon last month and that was for the dreaded omnipresent Doom bar. And as for 02 prices 😧 Given the amount of choice on offer I’d gladly pay 7.00 a pint if it keeps the GM bar running. 

I don't think the prices were unreasonable at the bars, and the beers/ciders are actually nice Vs the guff at other large events, like others have said it's the going rate.

Difference is, you can't take a crate into the O2/Wembley etc and I suspect with that arrangement the takings were lower than forecast this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2024 at 8:01 PM, bexj said:

Unpopular opinion maybe, but I think I'm done with the fireworks and burning.  Far too many folk crammed into a small space, ruins Far Out on Sunday, and an environmental nightmare.  

Bit late to this, but I concur. It's bad enough having to negotiate through all the 'sitters' at Far out at the best of times, let alone closing off most of the route in at around 1.30 on sunday (where people set up all day at the fence for the fireworks etc). Add the fact we have a kid in a de facto wheelchair, one could possibly consider it a wee bit ableist? We avoid that area when the fence is up, which we do not want to do.

IT was fun when attendance was in the 10000 area. Now its just an almighty pain. 

Rant over for another year.

10 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

On a slightly less contentious note did anyone have any good food finds this year? I came away feeling pretty underwhelmed with the choices I’d made and a vow to ‘must do better’ next year. Anyone have really good meals (or really bad ones)?

Bao Selecta. It was the last thing I ate all weekend. And, my god, I wished it was the first. So I could have lived off them. SO good!

Oh, and the cake from the local school stall was, a sever, bloody lush.

16 hours ago, retromoz said:

every cake?!? You ate them all?

To be honest Moz, it sort of felt like it over the whole Settler period. Brownie in Latte-Da, choc & rasp cupcake (melting centre) in Halo then pistachio cake in Latte-Da again. Plus lunches.

When the survey comes out asking what you did in the local area during the festival, I shall just opt for "ate a lot".

• Like 1

I think the food was ok overall.  I had 2 meals from the Vegetarian Kitchen in the Walled Garden - the bhaji wrap and the Haloumi/Aubergine Burger - both were substantial and not bad at £12/£13.

I had a stir fry from the Sri Lankan joint by the Courtyard which was delicious and, from memory about £13

The Hippy Chippy was an absolute rip off - £7 for chips and with a tiny sprinkle of cheese.

I wasn't drinking alcohol, and the AF beer choice was disappointing and over-priced - £4 for a 330ml can.  I'm glad I bought my own AF options.

On 8/21/2024 at 5:57 AM, rseamer said:

Jon Hopkins starting late and not having his full visuals was a shame. I saw them testing the big screen that was meant to be behind him the night before and it looked amazing - I wonder what happened on the night that they were unable to use it?

IMG_7440.jpeg

The screen, as you saw, had been set up and tested the day before. When they came to check it before Jon Hopkins went on they found that the screen had developed some colour issues and were unable to solve this in time for his performance. Apparently he was pretty annoyed and originally said that he wasn't going on unless it was fixed, fortunately someone managed to persuade him otherwise, but that was the cause of the lateness.

In the end they found a parameter had been mysteriously changed and it only took a few minutes to fix once the problem was located, so Sampha was able to make use of the screen on Sunday.

22 hours ago, retromoz said:

Bao Selecta. It was the last thing I ate all weekend. And, my god, I wished it was the first. So I could have lived off them. SO good!

Oh, and the cake from the local school stall was, a sever, bloody lush.

Yes the school stall was the place where I meant from where I got my scotch eggs. I really like the idea of including local enterprise in events like GM. Every ones a winner! 

Was there photographing for eFestivals and completely blown away by it all. My first GM. 

The site is stunning. Rising stage particularly magnificent. 

Musical highlights Ezra Collective, Lynks, Royel Otis, Muireann Bradley and JOHN. Really enjoyed the first few songs of Michael Head too. 

Working my way through the photos still. If anyone’s interested, @tomlcphoto on Instagram. Full album on here in the coming days too. 

Edited by tomlc
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stillill42 said:

What's the deal with the ticket launch on September 28th, folks? Is it just a free for all? I've registered my email. Does that get you ahead of the posse?

Nope, its a free for all.  
Or you save the stress and wait until nearer the festival and buy on Fanticks like you did!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bexj said:

Nope, its a free for all.  
Or you save the stress and wait until nearer the festival and buy on Fanticks like you did!

Ta bexj. I'll give it a rattle with the original sale I think. It'll be nice to have my festival decision making done a year in advance. And God knows I don't want to miss out.

• Upvote 1