Green Man 2024

bexj

23 minutes ago, tomlc said:

Might be against the grain and I don’t count myself as a Talking Heads or David Byrne fan but found Byrne’s night a pretty tough watch. 

In what way? I’m a fan and was really tempted but to be honest, forgot it was on and woke up next day wishing I’d gone. Was it not very good?

32 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

In what way? I’m a fan and was really tempted but to be honest, forgot it was on and woke up next day wishing I’d gone. Was it not very good?

The atmosphere in the crowd was decent. Was just all a bit too drunken karaoke (with instruments) on a stag/hen do for my liking. Enjoyed Lynks doing Lazy though. 

2 hours ago, tomlc said:

Might be against the grain and I don’t count myself as a Talking Heads or David Byrne fan but found Byrne’s night a pretty tough watch. 

Glad to hear as I was so tired after Big Thief and was gutted to miss it

Well I for one enjoyed it. Everyone on stage and in the crowd seemed as mildly pissed as me so we all made allowances for a certain lack of coherence but enjoyed everything, Porridge Radio, Oracle Sisters good, Nadine Shah all over the gaff. But she's Nadine Shah so we'll let that one go. As I say, blurry on the details but left with a sense that all was right with the world. 

16 hours ago, Stillill42 said:

Well I for one enjoyed it. Everyone on stage and in the crowd seemed as mildly pissed as me so we all made allowances for a certain lack of coherence but enjoyed everything, Porridge Radio, Oracle Sisters good, Nadine Shah all over the gaff. But she's Nadine Shah so we'll let that one go. As I say, blurry on the details but left with a sense that all was right with the world. 

Really like Nadine Shah but there were times where I was questioning if she had even heard Once in a lifetime before. 😂

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 3:01 PM, Sawman said:

Equal parts shambolic, unpredictable and good fun - perfect for that time of night. We enjoyed - they were a great counter balance and contrast to Big Thief who I thought were immense. 

Having seen Byrnes Night at Wide Awake, i think not having the Scottish/Talking Head visuals working was a big miss. Seeing pictures of Kermit, Rab C Nesbitt, Highlander etc whilst the music was playing added a lot to the occasion LOL😄

Edited by axel75

3 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Who we thinking for next year then? Pure guesses at this point really.

I’m hoping they continue the John theme. I’d like John Cooper Clarke, John Otway and John Shuttleworth.

I’d love to see Bjork or PJ Harvey but either off tour or I think based on what we have seen recently, out of the GM budget. I’d also love to see Eels back as I missed the year he played previously. Seriously, I’d be happy if we get the bands who dropped out this year, but would also like to see Regina Spektor, Polica, Angel Olsen, Fionn Regan, Anna Calvi, Agnes Obel

47 minutes ago, OddRon said:

Representing the Emereld Isle, I'd like to see a bit of Sprints, Melts, Silverbacks, the Scratch, Chalk and Gurriers. Also some Øxn. And maybe a bit of Susan O'Neill or David Keenan for the soul soothing. As for the rest, I'm delighted to say I trust in the line up. Serve me up a pile of stuff I don't know that turns out to be deadly. No pressure. 

Edit: Have Murder Capital been to Green Man? Throw them in there too so.

Edited by Stillill42

2 hours ago, OddRon said:

I can give you an informed guess, which is that Tropical F Storm who were meant to play in 2020 and then 2022 will be at Canela Party a week later.

Otherwise, without knowing really who else might be over from abroad and acknowledging it's difficult to work out where GM pitch their offers... it'll be nine years since Laura Marling headlined and she's doing some orchestral shows so I assume with her new kid gigs will be rarity value. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy Dacus is over either to headline EOTR or sub GM, maybe Julien Baker in an elevated slot too. Soccer Mommy has a new album soon and has never played. Kelly Lee Owens is due a big slot. Los Campesinos! want to do more festivals next year. Alan Sparhawk?

18 hours ago, SweepingTheNation said:

I can give you an informed guess, which is that Tropical F Storm who were meant to play in 2020 and then 2022 will be at Canela Party a week later.

Otherwise, without knowing really who else might be over from abroad and acknowledging it's difficult to work out where GM pitch their offers... it'll be nine years since Laura Marling headlined and she's doing some orchestral shows so I assume with her new kid gigs will be rarity value. I wouldn't be surprised if Lucy Dacus is over either to headline EOTR or sub GM, maybe Julien Baker in an elevated slot too. Soccer Mommy has a new album soon and has never played. Kelly Lee Owens is due a big slot. Los Campesinos! want to do more festivals next year. Alan Sparhawk?

Lucy Dacus, Julien Baker and Los Campesionos would be a dream for me.

3 hours ago, _Tommy_ said:

The embers of this thread is crying out for a 2025 version to start up...

I think there is need to continue picking the bones of 2024 until ticket day is done. Then a nice fresh thread to compare ticket buying strategies, vent our outrage and posit unrealistic expectations for the next 11 months. 

Shared on other thread so skip as needed 🙂

So, here we go again, been attending since 2008, the occasional year excepted, but never before without any children.... They’re all growed up now (21+) so I suggested they may want to start buying their own tickets ! Didn’t go down well, and I think they’re possibly regretting it, but we all must plough our own furrow sometimes… Saved us a fortune and we had a blast.

Arrived on Thursday which in itself was unusual as wife and I have been doing Settlers for a while. Unfortunately the ticketing fiasco of 2023 meant we were only lucky enough to snaffle 2 adult standard tickets in the end. Is it too much that TicketLine increase bandwidth to avoid this again (obviously rhetorical, they don’t care as they’ll sell out in hours anyway)?

Loved the earlier opening which meant we had most of the day to potter, wander, explore and imbibe. Nice to see some live music at Round the Twist (sorry, no recollection who), and after a bit settled into the Walled Garden for the duration. Enjoyed the Gymraeg curation, Pys Melin (Yellow Peas?), were fun, HMS Morris brought the glam vibes, Tubs some nice old school college rock, but Islet (as expected) smashed it. Should be bigger, but selfishly glad in some ways they’re not… Enjoyed Das Koolies and the DIY video show, but wandered over to see Sleaford (again). I’d had them down as a swerve as I’d seen them so many times previously but they played a storm (apart from monitor issues which meant one song was ditched). Pet Shop Boys cover was fun and Billy NM duet great. Wandered over to Cinemadrome for some late night horror (In a Violent Nature), probably need to see it again tbh due to slight discombobulation but it was certainly unique. 

Victuals: Bloody Maria(s), lots of ales, goat curry from the Jamaican stall which was exceptional

Headed in Friday for the traditional kedgeree, followed by a welcome Bloody Maria (tequila rather than vodka, much recommended) and settled in for for a few hours at Mountains Foot. Orchestra for Now were new to me but excellent, Mermaid Chunky nuts but so entertaining. Loved the group of children etc in crazy costumes who accompanied the duo on stage. Gutted Hurray for the Riff Raff cancelled, slightly perplexed that they were replaced with Sniffany but I guess options were limited in terms of availability. She did a sterling job considering, but shouty punk was a head spin in the circumstances. Saw Johnny Flynn (possibly biggest crowd of the weekend that I saw), just fab. Some people seem unfairly blessed with talent - great song writer, multi instrumentalist, handsome, powerful actor and annoyingly nice to boot. This is the Kit always deliver, didn’t fail, and then Arlo Parks. Was expecting a nice enough set but was pleasantly surprised how great she was. Band were phenomenal too. Popped over to see A Savage, not seen him without Parquet Courts before, very good, pleasantly wonky. Revelation of the weekend were One Leg One Eye, who were incredible. Genuinely unsettling, but totally mesmerising. Popped over to see Jesus and Mary Chain who were (surprisingly for me) just great. Late night jungle from Sherelle worked a treat, and then over to Cheeba and Shogun Assassin at Cinemadrome. Technical issues meant we got a nice Q&A with Cheeba for a bit which included the observation that the film inspired the mythologies of StarWars as well as many others (debatable as the roots are much more ancient), new soundtrack worked a treat, not seen the film before, suitably bonkers

Victuals: Bloody Maria (s), lots of ales, Kedgeree, Pulled pork fries, Disco Chips from the Indian concession (find of the weekend), and a midnight Smoking Joe burger which smashed it out of the park

Up and at ‘em on the Saturday, even more bizarrely fully solo now as my wife had left to attend a wedding (came back later that night). Lush bacon roll from Dorset Smokery to start, more Bloody Maria’s (sense a theme?), and started the day with the queer craziness of Lynks. Easily the most fun set of the weekend (as well as the most age inappropriate, though that made it even more fun in many ways). Waeve were new to me (didn’t realise Coxon and Elinor Dougall from Pipettes were an item) but most enjoyable. Lonnie Holley (one of 27 siblings!) was a mighty slice of southern wisdom, with a baritone of tupelo honey and a sensational band - loved him. Wednesday were a curveball, had expected laid back country (which we got) just not the full on noise/shredding and mighty pipes of Karly Hartzmann - phenomenal. Over to Walled garden for N'Famady Kouvate. I recall he was great but at this point I'd finally found the cider bar and had suitably indulged, so memory is fairly fuzzy. Caught Tinariwen (always great), then Maruja in Rising for jazz skronk - phenomenal. They were bonkers as hoped for, loved the new stage set up, then some yacht rock from Devendra. Got bored so ended up at Far Out for Oh Sees - best live band by a country mile. Late night Byrnes Night mash up was fun enough (more Burns poetry would have been good), then stumbled home in my cups beaming like a loon.

Victuals: Bacon and egg roll, Bloody Marias, lots of lovely ciders, chocolate brownie (mid afternoon treat), more disco chips, a couple of Usain Bolts and another very late night smash burger (so good)

As ever, it all goes too quickly and the last day loomed...

Started with more Bloody Maria(s) and a brioche bacon & mushroom roll from the toast stall (exceptional), and second great surprise of the weekend - Brown Wimpenny, at Rising, just an amazing folk collective,  Over to see Muireann Bradley on Mountain stage (incredibly talented, even more so considering youth), then back to Walled Garden for the stunning Cerys Hafana (equally incredibly talented, and again even more so considering youth). I always lament the lack of Americana each year, so lovely to see newcomers Brown Horse. I even tried to get a t-shirt but they’d sold out of larger dad sizes unfortunately. Pictish Trail turned up as usual but played a more acoustic based set - they’re great whatever they do and Johnny is always good value. Saw a bit of Michael Head, nice enough, but headed over for the funtime chaos that is Mary Wallopers. They don't have the songwriting chops of the Pogues but know how to put on a good time. Watched Explosions who were probably amazing but washed over me and spent most of it chatting outside the Far Out. Another Green Man (one of my favourites) was immolated and another amazing weekend petered to a finish.  Finished off with more Usain Bolts and the tortured craziness that was Anita Pallenburg’s life at Cinemadrome

Victuals: More Bloody Maria (s), brioche bacon & mushroom roll, an enormous hot dog, and the Tibetan curry (not as good as the marketing suggested). Finished off with more Usain Bolts and yet another very late night smash burger (still so, so good)

Gutted to have missed: BEAK, Fat White Family, Jess Williamson, Big Thief, John Maus, Sam Grassie, Anwen Ensemble, Ye Vagabonds, Big Special, John Francis Flynn, Ezra Collective, Jason  Molina tribute, and Conservatoire Folk Ensemble. Plus about a dozen others I had highlighted on clash finder.

Random thoughts: So lucky the weather held up (apart from a short downfall Thursday evening), Loos were great (appreciate the compost loos are difficult to negotiate for some but much nicer than the chemical saunas of a portaloo), food choices excellent, new site changes worked a treat (including the new Windrush stage). Just another lovely weekend, not looking forward to the chaos that will be ticket sale day in a few weeks - hopefully see you there next year 🙂

Top 5, in no order:

One Leg One Eye
Johnny Flynn
Brown Horse
Brown Wimpenny
Oh Sees

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, staffop said:

Shared on other thread so skip as needed 🙂

So, here we go again, been attending since 2008, the occasional year excepted, but never before without any children.... They’re all growed up now (21+) so I suggested they may want to start buying their own tickets ! Didn’t go down well, and I think they’re possibly regretting it, but we all must plough our own furrow sometimes… Saved us a fortune and we had a blast.

Arrived on Thursday which in itself was unusual as wife and I have been doing Settlers for a while. Unfortunately the ticketing fiasco of 2023 meant we were only lucky enough to snaffle 2 adult standard tickets in the end. Is it too much that TicketLine increase bandwidth to avoid this again (obviously rhetorical, they don’t care as they’ll sell out in hours anyway)?

Loved the earlier opening which meant we had most of the day to potter, wander, explore and imbibe. Nice to see some live music at Round the Twist (sorry, no recollection who), and after a bit settled into the Walled Garden for the duration. Enjoyed the Gymraeg curation, Pys Melin (Yellow Peas?), were fun, HMS Morris brought the glam vibes, Tubs some nice old school college rock, but Islet (as expected) smashed it. Should be bigger, but selfishly glad in some ways they’re not… Enjoyed Das Koolies and the DIY video show, but wandered over to see Sleaford (again). I’d had them down as a swerve as I’d seen them so many times previously but they played a storm (apart from monitor issues which meant one song was ditched). Pet Shop Boys cover was fun and Billy NM duet great. Wandered over to Cinemadrome for some late night horror (In a Violent Nature), probably need to see it again tbh due to slight discombobulation but it was certainly unique. 

Victuals: Bloody Maria(s), lots of ales, goat curry from the Jamaican stall which was exceptional

Headed in Friday for the traditional kedgeree, followed by a welcome Bloody Maria (tequila rather than vodka, much recommended) and settled in for for a few hours at Mountains Foot. Orchestra for Now were new to me but excellent, Mermaid Chunky nuts but so entertaining. Loved the group of children etc in crazy costumes who accompanied the duo on stage. Gutted Hurray for the Riff Raff cancelled, slightly perplexed that they were replaced with Sniffany but I guess options were limited in terms of availability. She did a sterling job considering, but shouty punk was a head spin in the circumstances. Saw Johnny Flynn (possibly biggest crowd of the weekend that I saw), just fab. Some people seem unfairly blessed with talent - great song writer, multi instrumentalist, handsome, powerful actor and annoyingly nice to boot. This is the Kit always deliver, didn’t fail, and then Arlo Parks. Was expecting a nice enough set but was pleasantly surprised how great she was. Band were phenomenal too. Popped over to see A Savage, not seen him without Parquet Courts before, very good, pleasantly wonky. Revelation of the weekend were One Leg One Eye, who were incredible. Genuinely unsettling, but totally mesmerising. Popped over to see Jesus and Mary Chain who were (surprisingly for me) just great. Late night jungle from Sherelle worked a treat, and then over to Cheeba and Shogun Assassin at Cinemadrome. Technical issues meant we got a nice Q&A with Cheeba for a bit which included the observation that the film inspired the mythologies of StarWars as well as many others (debatable as the roots are much more ancient), new soundtrack worked a treat, not seen the film before, suitably bonkers

Victuals: Bloody Maria (s), lots of ales, Kedgeree, Pulled pork fries, Disco Chips from the Indian concession (find of the weekend), and a midnight Smoking Joe burger which smashed it out of the park

Up and at ‘em on the Saturday, even more bizarrely fully solo now as my wife had left to attend a wedding (came back later that night). Lush bacon roll from Dorset Smokery to start, more Bloody Maria’s (sense a theme?), and started the day with the queer craziness of Lynks. Easily the most fun set of the weekend (as well as the most age inappropriate, though that made it even more fun in many ways). Waeve were new to me (didn’t realise Coxon and Elinor Dougall from Pipettes were an item) but most enjoyable. Lonnie Holley (one of 27 siblings!) was a mighty slice of southern wisdom, with a baritone of tupelo honey and a sensational band - loved him. Wednesday were a curveball, had expected laid back country (which we got) just not the full on noise/shredding and mighty pipes of Karly Hartzmann - phenomenal. Over to Walled garden for N'Famady Kouvate. I recall he was great but at this point I'd finally found the cider bar and had suitably indulged, so memory is fairly fuzzy. Caught Tinariwen (always great), then Maruja in Rising for jazz skronk - phenomenal. They were bonkers as hoped for, loved the new stage set up, then some yacht rock from Devendra. Got bored so ended up at Far Out for Oh Sees - best live band by a country mile. Late night Byrnes Night mash up was fun enough (more Burns poetry would have been good), then stumbled home in my cups beaming like a loon.

Victuals: Bacon and egg roll, Bloody Marias, lots of lovely ciders, chocolate brownie (mid afternoon treat), more disco chips, a couple of Usain Bolts and another very late night smash burger (so good)

As ever, it all goes too quickly and the last day loomed...

Started with more Bloody Maria(s) and a brioche bacon & mushroom roll from the toast stall (exceptional), and second great surprise of the weekend - Brown Wimpenny, at Rising, just an amazing folk collective,  Over to see Muireann Bradley on Mountain stage (incredibly talented, even more so considering youth), then back to Walled Garden for the stunning Cerys Hafana (equally incredibly talented, and again even more so considering youth). I always lament the lack of Americana each year, so lovely to see newcomers Brown Horse. I even tried to get a t-shirt but they’d sold out of larger dad sizes unfortunately. Pictish Trail turned up as usual but played a more acoustic based set - they’re great whatever they do and Johnny is always good value. Saw a bit of Michael Head, nice enough, but headed over for the funtime chaos that is Mary Wallopers. They don't have the songwriting chops of the Pogues but know how to put on a good time. Watched Explosions who were probably amazing but washed over me and spent most of it chatting outside the Far Out. Another Green Man (one of my favourites) was immolated and another amazing weekend petered to a finish.  Finished off with more Usain Bolts and the tortured craziness that was Anita Pallenburg’s life at Cinemadrome

Victuals: More Bloody Maria (s), brioche bacon & mushroom roll, an enormous hot dog, and the Tibetan curry (not as good as the marketing suggested). Finished off with more Usain Bolts and yet another very late night smash burger (still so, so good)

Gutted to have missed: BEAK, Fat White Family, Jess Williamson, Big Thief, John Maus, Sam Grassie, Anwen Ensemble, Ye Vagabonds, Big Special, John Francis Flynn, Ezra Collective, Jason  Molina tribute, and Conservatoire Folk Ensemble. Plus about a dozen others I had highlighted on clash finder.

Random thoughts: So lucky the weather held up (apart from a short downfall Thursday evening), Loos were great (appreciate the compost loos are difficult to negotiate for some but much nicer than the chemical saunas of a portaloo), food choices excellent, new site changes worked a treat (including the new Windrush stage). Just another lovely weekend, not looking forward to the chaos that will be ticket sale day in a few weeks - hopefully see you there next year 🙂

Top 5, in no order:

One Leg One Eye
Johnny Flynn
Brown Horse
Brown Wimpenny
Oh Sees

Great review, @staffop. Enjoyed that.

14 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

How fast do tickets for this sell out? Someone told me they go on sale soon.

As quickly as the fourth rate ticket site can sell them.

Which means a few hours probably.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, A Particular Grey Chihuahu said:

Ok, cool. Is it tricky to get them or if I go on as soon as it opens should I be ok? Thanks

Demand will likely outstrip supply. Probably the majority will get them, but not everyone.