Toilet situation is a disgrace

zahidf

2 hours ago, NancyBoyPossum said:

For me, I expect this year will be another year of carrying travel johns and regular trips back to the caravan in the campervan fields.  But EOTR is still by far the best festival out there for me in terms of line up, atmosphere, size, fellow attendees, so I’ll be buying an early bird ticket next year regardless.

Well five pages in and suddenly my mind is blown. I'd never heard of Travel Johns before. They need to sell these at the festival shop 

7 minutes ago, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

Well five pages in and suddenly my mind is blown. I'd never heard of Travel Johns before. They need to sell these at the festival shop 

Travel Johns are environmentally terrible, as they can't biodegrade or be recycled in any way. No festival with any kind of credibility should be selling or recommending them.

• Upvote 1

Signing in with a new ID as I'd forgotten my old one and can't seem to recover my password. 

I think as an EOTR veteran since 2008 we were spoiled by the pre-Covid quality of AndyLoos, who I guess are never coming back. 

I have used these composting loos at Glastonbury for several years without issue, mainly because they are sited next to a load of urinals, so blokes needing a piss go and use them. Women, kids and anyone needing a dump can then go and sit down in a (mostly) piss free cubicle and everyone is happy.  It's not difficult to fathom, but EoTR (or rather, their provider) seems unable to grasp this.

Limited urinals mean that blokes will defer to the composting cubicles and through a combo of drink and poor lighting will inadvertently piss all over the seats.  I didn't see a single 'bad' composting loo in my five nights at Glastonbury this year, which is pretty impressive given the much larger scale.

We have decided to give EoTR a miss this year for the first time since we started going. The toilets were one issue, but it's more a case that it's now a fairly expensive festival but I think they are skimping on some key aspects, increased costs in the festival industry noted.  Hopefully we will be back in future. 

16 hours ago, Vamagus said:

As an aside, it’s interesting it only sold out the Monday before this year.

Yep, considering how many people were (rightly) giving out about it last year at the festival Im not surprised it only "Sold out" *wink wink* this week. 

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Well, hats off. Huge improvements all round. 

Agreed -- barely any queues longer than a minute anywhere and invariably clean.

The only unpleasant experience was in an almost full shitter in the campsite, hungover to all hell on Sunday morning. Can hardly complain about that.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Well, hats off. Huge improvements all round. 

Yep, cleaned more often, emptied more often and most importantly, well lit!

Although was disappointed to traipse all the way to ones by the day split signs for a posh poo early one morning to find they'd been longdropped too. Were the three cubicles in the urinal trailer between woods and big top the only flushers on site this year? 

3 hours ago, domjon said:

Although was disappointed to traipse all the way to ones by the day split signs for a posh poo early one morning to find they'd been longdropped too. Were the three cubicles in the urinal trailer between woods and big top the only flushers on site this year? 

There was two flushers in the urinal block on the path through from the garden at the cider bus end of the site too. 

Facilities were clean, well stocked with paper, even this morning. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, domjon said:

There was a small row of'classic' flushers tucked next to the Talking Heads stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ortiz34 said:

Showers much better too. As someone else above said a couple more urinal blocks and it would be near perfect.

Showers were fkin great tbf, is that the first time for those ones? I haven't had a shower there since they moved them half way up the field a few years ago but had a couple this time, loads of room and a sink to brush your teeth.... luxury. Waited about 15 minutes at 6am Saturday morning and about 25 minutes at 11ish Sunday...not too bad at all.

14 hours ago, domjon said:

Showers were fkin great tbf, is that the first time for those ones? I haven't had a shower there since they moved them half way up the field a few years ago but had a couple this time, loads of room and a sink to brush your teeth.... luxury. Waited about 15 minutes at 6am Saturday morning and about 25 minutes at 11ish Sunday...not too bad at all.

Nah same showers they've had for years apart from 2021 I think. They're great.

Same showers, but water pressure and temperature were top notch this time.  The toilets could have done with an empty by midday Sunday, but they let them roll over to Monday.  Some started getting very peaky.  Felt like someone took a gamble on that, and they could have avoided any negative feedback if they'd given them that extra empty.

26 minutes ago, snipe said:

Same showers, but water pressure and temperature were top notch this time.  The toilets could have done with an empty by midday Sunday, but they let them roll over to Monday.  Some started getting very peaky.  Felt like someone took a gamble on that, and they could have avoided any negative feedback if they'd given them that extra empty.

Yep, that late night Sunday loo visit was the only negative I could think of.

6 hours ago, Llamasausage said:

I've stayed on plenty of campsites with way worse showers

Hell I've lived plenty of places with way worse showers

No wait in the afternoon, I go quick when heading back to swap to evening mode

AND spotless as just been cleaned

Don’t t tell them all! That’s my routine. Sometimes also an extra one at 1/2am if I can be bothered (which didn’t happen once this weekend!)

Ive just seen this conversation. I'm sorry for you that you have had this experience .I'd like to make one thing clear. Green Man and  EOTR use a business called Compoost Solutions. They are a company that have tried to copy my company Natural Event. We provide the flat pack loos with the coloured canvas walls and art work on the doors at many events like Glastonbury, Boomtown, Green gathering, Kendal Calling and many more since 2008 in uk and 2000 in Australia . We designed our loos around people first and then logistics. You can comfortably fit more than one person in there at a time  - helpful for different reasons. Inwards doors, seats you can choose to squat or sit, bag hooks, suitable for all sized bodies. We can level the loos on both left to right and forward and back gradients. Not amazingly we have grip tape on our three steps that can pivot to always remain flat.

Ours always have a light and we always clean our loos at least three times a day. Compost toilet can be great. We always make sure there is plenty of sawdust If the patrons dont add the sawdust then our team does.

If you can see the potential of compost loos over portaloos then please ask your favourite festival team for Natural Event compost loos by name. www.naturalevent.com Its good to remember as a user to add the sawdust. If you reckon others arent add two. Its not hard, but any  loo requires people to flush, its just that compost loos are a dry flush instead of with water.

I'm proud to have serviced over 450 events in 12 countries. Im proud to have started the loo revolution in the uk in 2008. I really do hope you have better loo experiences at festivals in the future

If you feel so inspired, then check out a tedx talk I did in Sydney called "Tales of an international turd tosser / Giving sh*t back its good name

Hamish

On 9/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, majormajormajor said:

Agreed -- barely any queues longer than a minute anywhere and invariably clean.

The only unpleasant experience was in an almost full shitter in the campsite, hungover to all hell on Sunday morning. Can hardly complain about that.

Still find the reduction in urinals baffling. If nothing else, it would reduce queues for women significantly. Personally, I queued for at least 15 mins on two nights at the Folly and the loos were rank when I finally got there (and I could stand up at least)

On 9/8/2024 at 8:07 PM, Compost Happens said:

Ive just seen this conversation. I'm sorry for you that you have had this experience .I'd like to make one thing clear. Green Man and  EOTR use a business called Compoost Solutions. They are a company that have tried to copy my company Natural Event. We provide the flat pack loos with the coloured canvas walls and art work on the doors at many events like Glastonbury, Boomtown, Green gathering, Kendal Calling and many more since 2008 in uk and 2000 in Australia . We designed our loos around people first and then logistics. You can comfortably fit more than one person in there at a time  - helpful for different reasons. Inwards doors, seats you can choose to squat or sit, bag hooks, suitable for all sized bodies. We can level the loos on both left to right and forward and back gradients. Not amazingly we have grip tape on our three steps that can pivot to always remain flat.

Ours always have a light and we always clean our loos at least three times a day. Compost toilet can be great. We always make sure there is plenty of sawdust If the patrons dont add the sawdust then our team does.

If you can see the potential of compost loos over portaloos then please ask your favourite festival team for Natural Event compost loos by name. www.naturalevent.com Its good to remember as a user to add the sawdust. If you reckon others arent add two. Its not hard, but any  loo requires people to flush, its just that compost loos are a dry flush instead of with water.

I'm proud to have serviced over 450 events in 12 countries. Im proud to have started the loo revolution in the uk in 2008. I really do hope you have better loo experiences at festivals in the future

If you feel so inspired, then check out a tedx talk I did in Sydney called "Tales of an international turd tosser / Giving sh*t back its good name

Hamish

Hi Hamish - would be interested in a chat & to find out more - what’s the best way to get hold of someone?