2024 Ticket Price & Sale Date Announced

Dukeicon

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Yes you do. Unless you've bought a car, taxed/insured it and maintained it, you dont have one to drive to the festival. A car is still costing money every minute you own it, whether its being driven or not. All this cost has to be taken into consideration in every journey made. 

If you haven't got a car (between you) then you probably aren't going to drive to the festival. 

Just take a step back a minute and think about the ridiculousness of what you are saying.

If you are buying, taxing, insuring and fuelling a car for the purpose of one trip, I don't know what to say to you. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The problem with incentivising coach travel by upping the parking cost, is that coach travel is already really popular. While I agree some of the prices are eye-watering, bear in mind that for some people, the coach or train is the only real option, and there's a need to balance making it appealing to those who would otherwise drive, with ensuring those who don't still have access.

And this is the real crux of the issue. For a great many public transport has become very expensive and inconvenient. I could even get to work by public transport even if I wanted to.

22 minutes ago, stuie said:

If you haven't got a car (between you) then you probably aren't going to drive to the festival. 

Just take a step back a minute and think about the ridiculousness of what you are saying.

If you are buying, taxing, insuring and fuelling a car for the purpose of one trip, I don't know what to say to you. 

I think there's some logic to what they're saying, but for it to make sense it should be based on buying the most efficient car. Because you only need a basic vehicle to get to the festival. If you've bought a BMW or something fancy to show off, or something big as you go offroad often, or a huge family vehicle as you often take the kids out (but they're not coming to the festival) then including any aspect of those taxes in the calculation is flawed.

41 minutes ago, stuie said:

The wrong is not considering the cost of buying and operating the car in the individual journey. Consider this:

After 5 years of owning your car you sell it receiving £10000 less than you paid for it. During your ownership it has also cost you £1000/annum just to have it roadworthy (tax, insurance, MOT, maintenance etc). Hence you've paid £3000/annum for the privilege of owning a roadworthy car before you even go anywhere. All this needs to be considered in the cost of every journey in that car, including to the fest. 

Edited by Lycra

51 minutes ago, stuie said:

Half of the festival is on land owned by other farmers, but I don't think it's due to that.  The land will be on long term contracts over several years.  The festival have looked at where the can make some more money and landed on the CV fields.  £50 x 10,000 vans = £500,000.  An easy way to shore up the spreadsheets.

Incidentally, that would pay Arcadia's entire field budget in 2023 and leave £50K for CapEx on the spiders replacement, as an example. 

8m x 7m space = 1 campervan = £200

Or

6 cars @ £60 = £240

17 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The wrong is not considering the cost of buying and operating the car in the individual journey. Consider this:

After 5 years of owning your car you sell it receiving £10000 less than you paid for it. During your ownership it has also cost you £1000/annum just to have it roadworthy (tax, insurance, MOT, maintenance etc). Hence you've paid £3000/annum for the privilege of owning a roadworthy car before you even go anywhere. All this needs to be considered in the cost of every journey in that car, including to the fest. 

The car will sit at home, purchased, maintained, insured and taxed even if I get the coach. 

I really think you’re thinking about this too much!

1 hour ago, incident said:

The Car Hire place will have some quite specific rules about what you can do with it. In particular - not taking it off road. Which you'll get away with most years, but you may have struggled to hide the evidence in 2016, 2011, 2007, etc.

Ok, you got me, add in £10 for a car wash. 

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

It's shocking how much cv passes have risen. That said we don't know the operating costs and fees associated for providing cv parking. But as a thought, "how many cars at £60  = a cv parking space" ?

I wonder if Sticklinch and Worthy View will rise in a similar vein? The price rise on the main ticket is below inflation so they'll be having to make the difference up somewhere (or cutting more areas). Expecting hospitality tickets to have shot up as well and maybe pitch fees?

Edited by ProperTea

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

And cost you £60 whilst it does so

Bonkers. 

It would cost me nothing. 

Insurance and tax is already paid, not using fuel, not running the engine. 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Bonkers. 

It would cost me nothing. 

Insurance and tax is already paid, not using fuel, not running the engine. 

What's bonkers is only recognising the cost of having and using a car is limited to the fuel you put in it. Every other aspect of having and running a car still needs to be paid for. How you choose to do this is up to you, whether its weekly or cost per mile actually driven. 

We've rented cars for 4 times to get to the festival. The first time was just a normal car for 2 of us because we didn't have a car at the time. That time it cost more than getting the coach but for convenience we did it. The other times we've rented people carriers, last year we had 7 people. Rental was £400, car park ticket £50 and petrol was £100 so £79 each. We took a lot of food and drink with us so saved on money whist there which we wouldn't be able to do on the coach. The coach this year is £91. 

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

What's bonkers is only recognising the cost of having and using a car is limited to the fuel you put in it. Every other aspect of having and running a car still needs to be paid for. How you choose to do this is up to you, whether its weekly or cost per mile actually driven. 

We aren't talking about the cost of having or using a car though.  We're talking about the cost-effectiveness of car vs coach to Glastonbury and the vast majority of people who are in a position to have that decision to make already have a road ready car to use.

Just now, stuie said:

We aren't talking about the cost of having or using a car though.  We're talking about the cost-effectiveness of car vs coach to Glastonbury and the vast majority of people who are in a position to have that decision to make already have a road ready car to use.

But the cost of coach travel includes all those aspects you're dismissing, eg coach purchase/lease, maintenance, operating costs etc. So when coach v car your not comparing like with like. It's like saying the cost of going to Glasto is £355 and failing to add the expensive of the booking fee, ticket postage, travel etc etc etc

5 minutes ago, Lycra said:

But the cost of coach travel includes all those aspects you're dismissing, eg coach purchase/lease, maintenance, operating costs etc. So when coach v car your not comparing like with like. It's like saying the cost of going to Glasto is £355 and failing to add the expensive of the booking fee, ticket postage, travel etc etc etc

If I got the coach instead of driving I don’t get a 6 day refund on my insurance or vehicle tax though, those are fixed costs of car ownership that I need for work/ life in general.

the wear and tear costs can be calculated at a per mile rate but are still significantly cheaper than the coach. 

10 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Like I said earlier, the cost of running a coach hasn't got anything to do with me.  If I was considering getting the coach I'd be comparing the cost of a coach ticket vs the cost of taking my already paid for car. 

Anything else is irrelevant to the decision making process.  

16 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

If I got the coach instead of driving I don’t get a 6 day refund on my insurance or vehicle tax though, those are fixed costs of car ownership that I need for work/ life in general.

the wear and tear costs can be calculated at a per mile rate but are still significantly cheaper than the coach. 

Basic cost for us by car would be ca. £105, which is fuel and parking. To this need to add £75 amortised fixed costs etc. Coach would be £146 for the 2 of us plus expense of getting to pick up point. Not much in it really but car by far the more convenient. 

I'd be happy getting the train to the festival and camping wherever I can, however my other half is dead against that as is her dad. We're going to try for tickets and then CV tickets (will hire a van and convert it and split the cost) but her brother wants to come this year, so having 2 tents next to the van may be problematic.

If we don't get CV we'll hire a motor of some kind to come down.

will work out roughly the same price as getting the train, once getting the train to the train and other incidental costs are factored in. 

I don't drive so at least I'll just be paying for an extended taxi 😄

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Half of the festival is on land owned by other farmers, but I don't think it's due to that.  The land will be on long term contracts over several years.  The festival have looked at where the can make some more money and landed on the CV fields.  £50 x 10,000 vans = £500,000.  An easy way to shore up the spreadsheets.

Incidentally, that would pay Arcadia's entire field budget in 2023 and leave £50K for CapEx on the spiders replacement, as an example. 

I'd prefer it if they added about £2.50 to the general ticket price rather than singling out and shafting campervan and caravans attendees who for some camping inside the festival isn't an option (medical reasons etc etc)😭

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

I'd prefer it if they added about £2.50 to the general ticket price rather than singling out and shafting campervan and caravans attendees who for some camping inside the festival isn't an option (medical reasons etc etc)😭

But then they’d be asking people who don’t use campervans to subsidise those that do . I guess in the longer term the reduced use of campers will help with the environmental credentials of the festival . But see the point on medical conditions you’ve made . 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

But then they’d be asking people who don’t use campervans to subsidise those that do . I guess in the longer term the reduced use of campers will help with the environmental credentials of the festival . But see the point on medical conditions you’ve made . 

We're all going to the same festival so if they're balancing the books by shafting people who use the CV fields then that's not fair 

2 minutes ago, gazzared said:

We're all going to the same festival so if they're balancing the books by shafting people who use the CV fields then that's not fair 

we've mostly all  got the choice to use the accommodation onsite ( medical reasons aside ) those staying in extra accommodation also make that choice with the associated costs . if the farmers charge more for the caravan field rental then those people in my opinion should pay whatever the extra charge is .  just like the carpark charges will increase and ill pay whatever that cost is ....  I wouldn't expect someone who's used a bike to get there to pay those costs for me 

33 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

we've mostly all  got the choice to use the accommodation onsite ( medical reasons aside ) those staying in extra accommodation also make that choice with the associated costs . if the farmers charge more for the caravan field rental then those people in my opinion should pay whatever the extra charge is .  just like the carpark charges will increase and ill pay whatever that cost is ....  I wouldn't expect someone who's used a bike to get there to pay those costs for me 

I'd actually prefer to camp inside the fence and be closer to everything but no way could I sleep on a matt my back and neck would be f**ked after 1 night.

Just announced new bike rack charges for 2024 🤣