2024 Ticket Price & Sale Date Announced

Dukeicon

3 minutes ago, gazzared said:

I'd actually prefer to camp inside the fence and be closer to everything but no way could I sleep on a matt my back and neck would be f**ked after 1 night.

Just announced new bike rack charges for 2024 🤣 

I sufer that issue .... actually found a mat that suits and the hard ground is also not so bad 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gazzared said:

Just announced new bike rack charges for 2024 🤣 

Bike rack charges?

Surely the festival don't charge for bike storage!

Yet again behind the game re incentives for people to reduce their carbon emissions.

They should discount tickets for cyclists as does another festival which I am very fond of.

5 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Bike rack charges?

Surely the festival don't charge for bike storage!

Yet again behind the game re incentives for people to reduce their carbon emissions.

They should discount tickets for cyclists as does another festival which I am very fond of.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

How much?

I think you missed the smiley 🙂 .... there's no bike rack charges . however you can use the lockups who value a small charitable donation 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lycra said:

What's bonkers is only recognising the cost of having and using a car is limited to the fuel you put in it. Every other aspect of having and running a car still needs to be paid for. How you choose to do this is up to you, whether its weekly or cost per mile actually driven. 

You're not wrong... exactly. But you're also not entirely right either. Yes, you can amortise the cost of your car and any associated expenses across all the travel you do in the lifetime of the care, in order to generate a "cost" for every journey.

But where it starts to come apart is that certain of those costs are not liked to distance travelled, but to time elapsed (tax, insurance and to an extent some maintenance). Those costs don't go away if you don't travel to the festival by car, but being at the festival also means you won't be using the car elsewhere either. So you sort of need to take those out.

The second issue is where it gets really tricky. Cars are not all created equally. And people do not buy cars solely for getting from A to B. Otherwise everyone would own the cheapest car that does that. I mean, you mentioned earlier that if you buy a car and sell it back after five years, you might get back £10K less than when you bought it. And you're right, so we should split that £10K cost across all the journeys you've taken in that five years right? Except, if you'd bought that car, turned it right around, back into the dealership and sold it, you would probably still lose at least £2K. That's value you never get back, regardless of any journeys you take. So why should we allocate a portion of that expense to your Glastonbury trip? Again, you'd incur it whether you took the car or the coach.

And if you've got a fancy car, you bought it for a reason, either comfort, ease of driving, a status symbol, etc. None of those benefits are getting you from A to B, they're additional things.

6 hours ago, Skip997 said:

There's been a deliberate move to replace the interesting self converted vans which have character with boring generic white motor homes for years. No idea why, but it's a massive shame.

Deliberate move by whom? 

There clearly isn't - if it's compliant bring what you like, same as ever. 

3 hours ago, gazzared said:

I'd prefer it if they added about £2.50 to the general ticket price rather than singling out and shafting campervan and caravans attendees who for some camping inside the festival isn't an option (medical reasons etc etc)😭

Are we sure campervans are being shafted? Consider this:

An hectare provides 178 8m x 7m campervan slots without any allowance for any roadways. At £200/cv this yields a revenue of £35600.

A 8m x 7m space would accommodate at least 4 and probably 6 parked cars.  The same hectare would therefore derive a minimum income of £42720 from cars and potentially £64080.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Deliberate move by whom? 

Okay, maybe I'm being a tad melodramatic as I can't stand those boring white generic motor homes. They really make the place look dull and uniform.

Maybe the truth is that owners of interesting self builds either can't afford or struggle to get tickets.

12 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Okay, maybe I'm being a tad melodramatic as I can't stand those boring white generic motor homes. They really make the place look dull and uniform.

Maybe the truth is that owners of interesting self builds either can't afford or struggle to get tickets.

Yes no disputing that, but of course many of those folks stopped coming at a similar time for other reasons too - some specific to the festival (covered in the 50th anniversary doc) , but others regarding society/central government clamping down on travellers. 

A couple of years back I was looking for a caravan/motor home alternative for the week and did see a rental firm (which rents from the public and to the public) had an absolutely beautiful converted horse box/lorry.  I wish I'd had enough friends to fill it and the money to rent it 😊

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes no disputing that, but of course many of those folks stopped coming at a similar time for other reasons too - some specific to the festival (covered in the 50th anniversary doc) , but others regarding society/central government clamping down on travellers.

There are still some interesting older vans around, but they're almost all in the crew camper van fields.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Lycra said:

An hectare provides 178 8m x 7m campervan slots without any allowance for any roadways. At £200/cv this yields a revenue of £35600.

A 8m x 7m space would accommodate at least 4 and probably 6 parked cars.  The same hectare would therefore derive a minimum income of £42720 from cars and potentially £64080.

Revising the calculation to allow for roadways an hectare of campervan field brings in £24,000. The same space with roadways and parked cars nets at least £28,800 and potentially £43,200. Who's being treated unfairly?

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Revising the calculation to allow for roadways an hectare of campervan field brings in £24,000. The same space with roadways and parked cars nets at least £28,800 and potentially £43,200. Who's being treated unfairly?

Both parties

These prices are a disgrace.

31 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Yeah - it's something that many Campervan users won't accept, but the truth is that as a general rule of thumb providing for them is a pain in the arse for most festivals just because of the sheer amount of space taken up and because over the last 20 years or so the numbers have multiplied.

I'd also point out that in your example, the Campervan field also needs more infrastructure - lighting, toilets, and elsan points than an equivalent Car Park and probably more staff if you average it over the event.

35 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I do think part of it is that the numbers (both in absolute terms, and as a percentage of attendees) have increased so much - and with most of the new arrivals being off the shelf, there seems far less "interesting" vans in comparison even if the actual number hasn't dropped.

37 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Deliberate move by whom? 

The policy of having to have a fitted bed and fitted cooking/washing facilities does hinder this somewhat.  My van is a converted T4 short wheelbase with full width fitted rock and roll VW bed.  It doesn't leave much room for a kitchen/bathroom. 

Every other festival I go to is more breezy about what a live in vehicle is.   At Wilderness I was next to a car because their van broke down a week before 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I haven't a clue what you going on about 🤣🤣🤣 What's car parking spaces got to with the campervan ticket price increase? 

Just now, gazzared said:

I haven't a clue what you going on about 🤣🤣🤣 What's car parking spaces got to with the campervan ticket price increase? 

He's making the (correct) point that any given field would be much more efficiently and profitably utilised if it was a Car Park instead of Campervans.

Just now, incident said:

He's making the (correct) point that any given field would be much more efficiently and profitably utilised if it was a Car Park instead of Campervans.

But where would you then camp? There's not enough space for additional tents within the festival if they didn't have CV fields

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

The policy of having to have a fitted bed and fitted cooking/washing facilities does hinder this somewhat.  My van is a converted T4 short wheelbase with full width fitted rock and roll VW bed.  It doesn't leave much room for a kitchen/bathroom. 

Every other festival I go to is more breezy about what a live in vehicle is.   At Wilderness I was next to a car because their van broke down a week before 🙂 

Beautiful Days have been letting cars in to the CV fields for years.

Never understood the requirements imposed on camper vans by Glastonbury. I've heard it suggested that it's an insurance thing due to there being a greater risk of fire. IMO there is no more risk of a fire in a self build than in a factory build. Fire risk is down to how people use the van, i.e a common sense thing.

Just now, gazzared said:

But where would you then camp? There's not enough space for additional tents within the festival if they didn't have CV fields

That can be solved several ways.

The easiest - turn the CV fields nearest gate C into Staff Camping. Turn some of the Staff Camping inside the fence into Public.

Just now, incident said:

That can be solved several ways.

The easiest - turn the CV fields nearest gate C into Staff Camping. Turn some of the Staff Camping inside the fence into Public.

Or even easier stop booking celebrity djs like Mel c or Steve Davis and save the money that way