Pukkelpop 2024

Archi

1 hour ago, gigi21 said:

Attending a bit of BBR and then coming for a beer before getting a good spot for Fontaines would be perfect for me

Sounds good to me! Could probably make the meet at 15:30 as I'm watching Cellini in the Lift and will then come straight over. We'll no doubt be there for a while as the beers are great so no stress on when people arrive!

With regards to Lowlands tickets, there's currently about 470 on sale on Ticketswap but over 6,500 requested/wanted. If you're feeling brave then you could hold out until nearer the time and maybe get one below face value. I'm sure you're also aware but it is about an hour north of Amsterdam. I went there years ago to the theme park that's next door and it was easy enough to get to. They used to include free entry into the park with your ticket but that's stopped now.

5 hours ago, johnybegood said:

Not really happy with the replacements but I understand that it is almost imposible to find a headline rock material in just 3 weeks, so Royal Blood is a logical booking and we cannot complain.

The Smile is a band imposible to replace. The only top bands that could fit in their slot were Pixies and Pulp, and it is almost imposible in 2024 that Pukkelpop book any of this bands.

Have you seen what other festivals have come up with? A couple of Scandinavian fests that are much smaller came up with EU exclusive shows by Jack White.

I know there are a lot of moving parts, but ‘almost impossible’? Also, Rebillet is the exact opposite of The Smile. You couldn’t possibly find a replacement that stands stands further from the original booking.

1 hour ago, matrainertje said:

I know there are a lot of moving parts, but ‘almost impossible’? Also, Rebillet is the exact opposite of The Smile. You couldn’t possibly find a replacement that stands stands further from the original booking

I'm sure it isn't easy to manage this kind of situations but replacing The Smile with Marc Rebillet without giving the chance to the daily ticket holders to ask for a refund is a clear choice by a festival getting further away every day from the indie/experimental world. They choose to give the main core of their current attendants the chance to have one more party and they clearly told a few thousand people who paid a 125€ ticket they care little about them.

It's still a great festival, I'll enjoy a lot of concerts but I have the feeling this won't be my festival for much longer and today my opinion of the organizers is a little lower than yesterday.

The ones who bought a day ticket for QOTSA and The Smile deserve at least a couple of beer tickets to forget this 😬

Edited by gigi21
  • Upvote 3

I may be wrong but I don't remember any festivals offering refund because an headliner cancelled. At least in Belgium.

Foo Fighters at Werchter 2015

Aerosmith at Graspop 2022

Avenged Sevenfold and Faith No More at Graspop 2022

Festivals always mention - like any other concerts - that the line up may be changed. It would have been a huge surprise if they offered refund...

18 minutes ago, Archi said:

I may be wrong but I don't remember any festivals offering refund because an headliner cancelled. At least in Belgium.

Festivals always mention - like any other concerts - that the line up may be changed. It would have been a huge surprise if they offered refund...

Did Pukkelpop offer a refund when Neil Young cancelled in 2013? I cant remember…

7 hours ago, Archi said:

I was at Rock En Seine last year. They replaced Florence + The Machine with Cypress Hill and offered the day ticket holders the possibility to ask for a refund.

But this isn't my point.

The two main bands of a certain day canceling is a real misfortune and a very difficult situation to manage. The replacements (especially one) go to a precise direction, to please a certain part of their audience and penalize another, while the other festivals in the same situation got Jack White, Pixies, Air, James Blake.

It's a legitimate choice and they probably took the most working solution but they perfectly know that a portion of their audience would have been disappointed.

Anyways, happy for Big Special, I've got a lot of acts to see over the weekend!

Edited by gigi21

18 hours ago, Semprini said:

Sounds good to me! Could probably make the meet at 15:30 as I'm watching Cellini in the Lift and will then come straight over. We'll no doubt be there for a while as the beers are great so no stress on when people arrive!

With regards to Lowlands tickets, there's currently about 470 on sale on Ticketswap but over 6,500 requested/wanted. If you're feeling brave then you could hold out until nearer the time and maybe get one below face value. I'm sure you're also aware but it is about an hour north of Amsterdam. I went there years ago to the theme park that's next door and it was easy enough to get to. They used to include free entry into the park with your ticket but that's stopped now.

I guess the requested/wanted are from an earlier time, it often doesnt correlate with actual demand it seems. Original Lowlands price was 325e right, now going for 278e so already around 50e below face value. 

• Like 1

Was having a bit of a clear out at home and my wife found a box with lots of old birthday cards and other bits and pieces of family memorabilia. Tucked away at the bottom though were various things from my first 5 PKPs (2007-2011) that I didn't know still existed! These included all my wristbands, the free booklets they used to give out on the way in (2008-2010), some unused tokens, a couple of set lists I managed to get and the very tatty and well used timetables I printed out!

Gutted I didn't keep the one from 2007 but I have still got 2008 and 2009, which I can't find any record of online. I've done a clashfinder for 2009 and will do one for 2008 when I get a chance:

https://clashfinder.com/s/pkp2009/

Will also take a few pics of the other stuff and share those at some point.

I know it's easy to look back at old line ups and think how stacked they were but it's obviously the case that a lot of the bands lower down the lists for each stage weren't big at the time. One thing that is really clear to me though is that there's a large increase in the number of Belgian bands and DJs on the line up now compared to in the past. I'm not making any judgement about this at all but it is very apparent when you look at the Boiler line ups that they don't have anything like the number of international DJs playing now. The stage used to open at 12pm but it's now 2:30pm and there's only 4 international DJs on each day. The Friday of 2009 on its own had 8 DJ's from outside Belgium and there were another 12 spread over the other 2 days.

Edited by Semprini
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Semprini said:

Was having a bit of a clear out at home and my wife found a box with lots of old birthday cards and other bits and pieces of family memorabilia. Tucked away at the bottom though were various things from my first 5 PKPs (2007-2011) that I didn't know still existed! These included all my wristbands, the free booklets they used to give out on the way in (2008-2010), some unused tokens, a couple of set lists I managed to get and the very tatty and well used timetables I printed out!

Gutted I didn't keep the one from 2007 but I have still got 2008 and 2009, which I can't find any record of online. I've done a clashfinder for 2009 and will do one for 2008 when I get a chance:

https://clashfinder.com/s/pkp2009/

Will also take a few pics of the other stuff and share those at some point.

I know it's easy to look back at old line ups and think how stacked they were but it's obviously the case that a lot of the bands lower down the lists for each stage weren't big at the time. One thing that is really clear to me though is that there's a large increase in the number of Belgian bands and DJs on the line up now compared to in the past. I'm not making any judgement about this at all but it is very apparent when you look at the Boiler line ups that they don't have anything like the number of international DJs playing now. The stage used to open at 12pm but it's now 2:30pm and there's only 4 international DJs on each day. The Friday of 2009 on its own had 8 DJ's from outside Belgium and there were another 12 spread over the other 2 days.

I'm looking at that Main-Marquee sequence on the Thursday 2009...
Paolo Nutini, Bon Iver, Maximo Park, Dizzee Rascal, Razorlight, Wilco, Deftones, Them Crooked Vultures, The Offspring, Beirut, Faith No More, My Bloody Valentine.
Impressive. And there's even a lot of quite big international acts on the other stages...

Better not compare it to the last editions if we don't want to cry.

• Upvote 1

Btw, Cabaret Vert just announced that they didn't find any replacement for QOTSA. So they just upgrade Fontaines D.C., moving them from the second stage to the Main Stage. Macklemore was already the closing act that day. They have tried many bands but none were possible.

Idles: it was impossible for them make the road Portugal-France in one night.
- Royal Blood: it wasn't working on their schedule.
Jack White: he has to go back to the States after the festivals early August.
The Hives: they'll be in the States too.
The Offspring: they already had a show in Austria that day.
Gojira: impossible for them to get ready in such a short time.

At least, they gave some informations. People can ask for a refund. And the festival is already working to get QOTSA back next year.

• Upvote 3

Started booking trains last night as we're travelling to and from Schiphol this time - definitely helped to ramp up the excitement levels as we're on the countdown now!

Mentioned last week about some of the PKP memorabilia I recently found so here's a few pics. These three are the little booklets they used to give out as you entered the arena on the first full day (was Thursday back then). It's all in Dutch but includes the set times for each stage and a bio of all the bands.

2008.jpg.47e7fb3c6a3edc7c6f7a2ea133ebbd28.jpg

2009.jpg.658e821b4ed798d129eff28a6089153c.jpg

2010..jpg.4bf84a99854f5943ba5d5e44dcae767f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Semprini said:

Started booking trains last night as we're travelling to and from Schiphol this time - definitely helped to ramp up the excitement levels as we're on the countdown now!

Mentioned last week about some of the PKP memorabilia I recently found so here's a few pics. These three are the little booklets they used to give out as you entered the arena on the first full day (was Thursday back then). It's all in Dutch but includes the set times for each stage and a bio of all the bands.

2008.jpg.47e7fb3c6a3edc7c6f7a2ea133ebbd28.jpg

2009.jpg.658e821b4ed798d129eff28a6089153c.jpg

2010..jpg.4bf84a99854f5943ba5d5e44dcae767f.jpg

2008 was my very first Pukkelpop! Great trip down memory lane now.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 3:56 PM, pumpkinprincess123 said:

2008 was my very first Pukkelpop! Great trip down memory lane now.

I've made a start on the clashfinder for 2008 so will post a link when it's done.

Map is now on the app and it's pretty much the same as last year. The Booth has moved round slightly but that's about the only change I can see. I did see a few times last year that the queue for the toilets, particularly around the Dance Hall and Boiler, was massive and it felt like they could have done with more. Also seen on another map that the bus to and from Hasselt now stops near the train station. That should make the journey times shorter, which will be a massive bonus at the end of each night!

Picture below is of our tickets and wristbands from 2007, the first PKP we went to. Probably best not to look at the price for a combi...

2007.thumb.jpg.51ed716c9817cc9491084a13a7f90112.jpg

Edited by Semprini
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DDave said:

Great line up for 2008. So many 40 & 50 minutes sets though. 

Remember thinking at the time that the whole line up was negatively impacted by Metallica playing but looking back now, it was still strong across all days and stages. Think the biggest thing was that loads of Metallica fans just stayed by the Main Stage all day and didn't even bother to check out any of the other acts playing. In that respect, it felt like a big Metallica gig but I watched plenty of other stuff that kept me busy!

Here's my wristband and ticket from that year:

720978589_2008ticket.thumb.jpg.e56d92d0b7642c57dc07365af0d995a7.jpg

• Upvote 3