2025 Headliners

On 11/15/2023 at 2:24 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Honestly, if you've booked two absolute slam-dunk draws, I think Glastonbury can afford to gamble. Certainly, if we did no repeats going forward after next year, she might well be in the conversation. (There'll be plenty of acts who would fit the bill, but Glastonbury would hold no interest.)

Then again, if we lower relative thresholds to headline, Simon Le Bon will be everywhere again. Saw his most recent comments that it's "got to be on the Pyramid stage" in a "night-time slot", which is pretty much him dancing around stating outright they should headline or nothing.

Surely direct comp for DD is Pet Shop Boys closing out 2022 on Other Stage. Can't see them as a Pyramid headliner 

Just now, themunn said:

Surely direct comp for DD is Pet Shop Boys closing out 2022 on Other Stage. Can't see them as a Pyramid headliner 

I'd have thought so too, especially given Pet Shop Boys have now got the IOW gig next year.

But Le Bon very much sees them as Pyramid headliner or nothing else. In another time, where Glastonbury had not seemingly graduated to stadium-fillers as a regular staple, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I reckon it could be a prolific year for British hip hop in big slots. Could see Dave, Little Simz, Skepta and Kano all either headlining or subbing the big stages.

And that will be a good year to miss out on tickets haha.

I think it'll be Sam Fender and Dave...if he doesn't do the mentioned sub this year, and Rihanna. Think Swift will wait it out a bit yet for the next album.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:19 AM, PDAD said:

Biffy Clyro were the Mark Webber / Felipe Massa of Glastonbury and the 1975 are the Sergio Perez / Valtteri Bottas.. not half bad, but got 'nearly' tattooed on their foreheads 

Would be more something if Biffy Clyro opened up a lawsuit to try and retrospectively disqualify a Glastonbury headliner so they get it like Massa is currently doing.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:29 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

See also: Muse. (Though the general shrug to that 2016 slot makes me wonder if that's why they haven't come back around yet too.)

I don't know where I saw this but I seem to remember a quote attributed to Matt Bellamy saying he was happy after their third Glasto El Pointo top spot in 2016 to let others have a go. Closest to that was a Radio X interview in 2018 when he semi-jokingly said, “We’ve done that three times now. I’m not sure they’ll let us back in.” As a big fan I think they'd still do a job, but I can see them doing the "cult band doing own shows" route and play elsewhere.

Could see them popping up at Download again tbf. Will of the People had a few outright metal tracks that would play nicely with that demographic.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I don't know where I saw this but I seem to remember a quote attributed to Matt Bellamy saying he was happy after their third Glasto El Pointo top spot in 2016 to let others have a go. Closest to that was a Radio X interview in 2018 when he semi-jokingly said, “We’ve done that three times now. I’m not sure they’ll let us back in.” As a big fan I think they'd still do a job, but I can see them doing the "cult band doing own shows" route and play elsewhere.

Could see them popping up at Download again tbf. Will of the People had a few outright metal tracks that would play nicely with that demographic.

Once at Download was enough, not again.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Dave, Rihanna, The Rolling Stones

I think if Dave isn't that big sub this year someone said about then Dave, Rihanna and Fender. As long as he's ready to go, Fender is the one I can't see past happening. I don't see The Stones at all....Ronnie being up for it doesn't make Mick take less money. 

If Duran Duran are demanding top billing that’s frankly delusional. They have a few cheesy bangers but so do Boney M and I don’t see them getting the nod any time soon. 

Also the fact that they got a bond theme feels like one of those bizarre moments of cultural mass hysteria like when everyone became obsessed with sea shanties.

24 minutes ago, northernangel said:

Biffy Clyro should have done it the year Ed Sheeram did.

Why on earth would Biffy have been given the top slot over Ed Sheeran in 2017?

15 minutes ago, northernangel said:

I think if Dave isn't that big sub this year someone said about then Dave, Rihanna and Fender. As long as he's ready to go, Fender is the one I can't see past happening. I don't see The Stones at all....Ronnie being up for it doesn't make Mick take less money. 

Dave isn't subbing this year.

Dave, Rihanna and Fender is possible, yes, but it looks to me like a T in the Park lineup if that was still going nowadays. I'm starting to think they'll have one of Dave or Fender, with the other being booked for 2026.