2025 Headliners

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

I think it will good to get a dance headliner in there it's been absolutely years.  Personally think hes s a bit over hyped but definitely popular enough right now to headline. 

Unlike rock/pop acts that tend to maintain a legacy long after there heyday and could get picked as a headliner years later not sure dance acts get the same privilege. So I guess it might be good to strike while the irons hot. 

I would probably agree with this being locked in for next year.

I'd agree with the over hype.  I think he's good, but not special, however dance acts aren't my wheelhouse and he's massively popular so I could be way off the mark.

Let's be honest, Skrillex headlining The Other was a great set and a great night.  If he can pull that off then why not Fred on the Pyramid?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Dare I ask what the deal is with Taylor Swift? Surely there's some form of verbal agreement, off the back of the 2020 cancellation?

Not sure whether there'll be anything like that, but if there is it'll be without specifics or a timescale.

Coming off spending 2 solid years doing the biggest tour in music history, the general expectation is that she's unlikely to be doing anything major in the first half of 2025. Beyond that is up in the air. My guess is that we see her when she decides to do something stripped back (as would have been the case with the scheduled 2020 shows).

43 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure whether there'll be anything like that, but if there is it'll be without specifics or a timescale.

Coming off spending 2 solid years doing the biggest tour in music history, the general expectation is that she's unlikely to be doing anything major in the first half of 2025. Beyond that is up in the air. My guess is that we see her when she decides to do something stripped back (as would have been the case with the scheduled 2020 shows).

My guess is she's going to play 2026/27 whichever she comes back and the festival will acts such. I think she'll have a good idea how long she plans to have off and Glastonbury by 2025 will know the situation. If they do bring it forwards a year to that as planned I'd not be shocked if this was the reason really.

43 minutes ago, incident said:

Anyway:

O-Rod. Dave. Pulp.

I fully expect Pulp there but they aren't going to get the headline gig, I think they'll get the penultimate slot on Saturday night.

4 hours ago, mufcok said:

Dare I ask what the deal is with Taylor Swift? Surely there's some form of verbal agreement, off the back of the 2020 cancellation?

At best I’d have expected a verbal agreement to revisit the booking with loads of caveats. Which means, no concrete agreement at all.

I personally don’t think she’ll ever play now, unless it’s still going in 20+ years, her star has waned and she plays legend to get back in the spotlight.

Personally I doubt I’d watch, not a fan really and most of her catalogue washes over me, but no doubt be a huge coup for the fest if they get her back in the next few years.

Yeah Swift ain’t doing it any time soon if ever. She’s gotten way too big and needs a massive cooling off period before I think she’d even consider bothering attempting festivals again and I don’t think that’s gonna be happening in the next ten or so years. Balls totally in her court and at this point she has absolutely nothing to gain from a festival run and everything to gain from just continuing to sell out her own dates in an instant. 

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

Yeah Swift ain’t doing it any time soon if ever. She’s gotten way too big and needs a massive cooling off period before I think she’d even consider bothering attempting festivals again and I don’t think that’s gonna be happening in the next ten or so years. Balls totally in her court and at this point she has absolutely nothing to gain from a festival run and everything to gain from just continuing to sell out her own dates in an instant. 

What does anyone who can do that have to gain though? Ed Sheeran for example when he did it definitely didn't need to.

I do agree though she is of an exception size that would mean she has to want to now.

1 hour ago, FloopFiller said:

I thought there was talk she wasn't going to tour at all in 2025 and go make movies instead.

17 hours ago, FloopFiller said:

No way they’re gonna have three headliners who all have less than a decade under their belts. If it does turn out to be Fred and ORod then the third has got to be somebody more heritage, even if they only go back as far as the 90s or even early 00s.

Its going to happen eventually and you know it. Ive been saying it for a while and slowly but surely its turning out that way. You can only book so many Coldplays and Foo Fighters.

I mean right now lets throw in Oasis and Radiohead for shits and giggles.

Re: Fred. It stinks his Bonnaroo set is not being streamed today. So there is no fair way to judge how it would be. But I mean the Coliseum gig didnt leave the best impression on  some people because as its been discussed, he talks too much. Theres a lot of dead air. And casual Fred fans will expect the Boiler Room set when he has  3+ albums of music he performs. Ive said it, he needs to tighten the show up and it should go over decently. He did have Romy guest in La so that would be a way to keep people excited.

and where do The xx end ip if theyre back?

11 hours ago, northernangel said:

What does anyone who can do that have to gain though? Ed Sheeran for example when he did it definitely didn't need to.

I do agree though she is of an exception size that would mean she has to want to now.

It's a fair point, and with the sort of money big acts can make from stadium tours these days I can see the temptation.  That said, I think many larger acts - UK ones for sure - still see cache in Glastonbury and it's legendary status.  Coldplay and Ed Sheeran for certain fall into this category.  Arctic Monkeys too.

On 6/15/2024 at 8:24 PM, Ben7amin_ said:

Is there not some thing that Eminem won't do gigs that are televised, I pretty much think this rules him out indefinitely.

22 hours ago, charlierc said:

An about turn given he was the only one of Reading's 2013 and 2017 headliners to refuse permission for his sets to be televised.

there's like 10 full sets of 2017 on youtube - no idea whether it was on tv but like theres a bbc clip on youtube

its not happening anyway i think

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Its going to happen eventually and you know it. Ive been saying it for a while and slowly but surely its turning out that way. You can only book so many Coldplays and Foo Fighters.

I mean right now lets throw in Oasis and Radiohead for shits and giggles.

Re: Fred. It stinks his Bonnaroo set is not being streamed today. So there is no fair way to judge how it would be. But I mean the Coliseum gig didnt leave the best impression on  some people because as its been discussed, he talks too much. Theres a lot of dead air. And casual Fred fans will expect the Boiler Room set when he has  3+ albums of music he performs. Ive said it, he needs to tighten the show up and it should go over decently. He did have Romy guest in La so that would be a way to keep people excited.

and where do The xx end ip if theyre back?

subbing

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't think they're spoiled for choice when it comes to heritage headliners.  Having the Horse on would be a nice balance to two really young acts on the other nights.

That said, Nils will be on tour woth the Boss so there goes that dream.

Lukas Nelson son of Willie is filling in for Nils atm & doing a brilliant job by all accounts. I think they’ll tour over here next summer but unlikely to be at the farm, we can live in hope though 

I noticed Emily Eavis has said she expects either 25 or 26 (before a rest year in 27) will have 3 female headliners. 

Also, she's name dropped Kate Bush as her dream booking and said "Elton was also a dream, and it happened". 

What we thinking? I also can see Taylor Swift maybe doing an exclusive, given the Eras tour is confirmed to be ending in December. I recall she was previously booked for the Covid cancelled year.

13 minutes ago, willsmith700 said:

I noticed Emily Eavis has said she expects either 25 or 26 (before a rest year in 27) will have 3 female headliners.

This was massively mis-reported - she didn't say that at all.

On 6/16/2024 at 10:16 PM, charlierc said:

Interesting. I would be more likely to back Pulp for Other Headliner.

Pulp - I also think Other Headliner is more likely than Pyramid Sub... I do think they are worthy of headlining the Pyramid though - certainly no less worthy than The Cure a few years back.

Also... can we get a campaign going for Erasure to headline the Park Stage in 2025?! (Preferably not same night as Pulp - LOL!)

The 3 female thing was more like. 

Emily Eavis is open to the possibility of having a year with 3 female headliners. 

Culture war press got hold of it.... and twisted it to create the normal social media wars. 

Sadly some people were only able to interpret this as she would overlook talented male performers to find rubbish female acts!!! 

Which was not the point.

Its worth noting that a lot of the huge headliner sized acts at the moment are in fact female.  

Edited by Ben7amin_

1 hour ago, willsmith700 said:

Also, she's name dropped Kate Bush as her dream booking and said "Elton was also a dream, and it happened". 

What we thinking? I also can see Taylor Swift maybe doing an exclusive, given the Eras tour is confirmed to be ending in December. I recall she was previously booked for the Covid cancelled year.

Elton John was touring extensively up until last year and he had previously played festivals, so was a case of making it work financially and from a scheduling perspective. It probably felt like a nice thing for him to tick off the list.

Kate Bush has done 1 run of shows in 35 years.  Even that run of shows was 10 years ago and the performance was designed specifically for a indoor space. I can understand that it is Emily's dream booking but I don't think Kate Bush will ever play live again and even if she did, I can't see her wanting to play Glastonbury which is massive and has so many staging elements which would be out of her control.  

I would love to see Kate Bush, she is a total legend but it is definitely "dream booking" territory.

I think there is plenty of debate about Taylor Swift above.  I think the flavour of it is that she is too hot right now and doesn't need it + will probably focus on other things after this massive tour. 

I think she is in the "maybe one day if she fancies it" type position.  She definitely holds all the cards at the moment and can basically do what she wants.  I'm not expecting to see her next year.

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Elton John was touring extensively up until last year and he had previously played festivals, so was a case of making it work financially and from a scheduling perspective. It probably felt like a nice thing for him to tick off the list.

Kate Bush has done 1 run of shows in 35 years.  Even that run of shows was 10 years ago and the performance was designed specifically for a indoor space. I can understand that it is Emily's dream booking but I don't think Kate Bush will ever play live again and even if she did, I can't see her wanting to play Glastonbury which is massive and has so many staging elements which would be out of her control.  

I would love to see Kate Bush, she is a total legend but it is definitely "dream booking" territory.

I think there is plenty of debate about Taylor Swift above.  I think the flavour of it is that she is too hot right now and doesn't need it + will probably focus on other things after this massive tour. 

I think she is in the "maybe one day if she fancies it" type position.  She definitely holds all the cards at the moment and can basically do what she wants.  I'm not expecting to see her next year.

That's cool. Never done Glasto, but if Kate Bush appeared, it would be amazing (and miracle territory). 

Yeah, I went to the Edinburgh night 1 date of the Eras tour last week. Taylor is in another stratosphere. It was one hell of a show.  

On 6/16/2024 at 2:06 PM, northernangel said:

Sheeran had worked his way up and it was an eventuality. He didnt just burst onto the scene and then get headliner. Didnt he do a dozen gigs over the weekend the first time he was ever booked when he was on bbc intro?  Similar to chris martin, he genuinely enjoys it.

Taylor now I think would be as demanding or more like Madonna. And I mean if the rumors were to be believed, her team told Coachella she wanted $15 million per weekend and they said no. I dont think she would just do it cause of a handshake and even having the option of multiple BST shows. The most overexposed artist getting paid with exposure they dont even need doesnt add up pretty much. Although if the fest and bbc keep opening up the livestream that might help, especially if you make it pay per view. You dint think they would rake it in  with £10 a person to tune into taylor on the pyramid?