2025 Headliners

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Agreed.  Feels like an obvious chess move on all sides.  However, really hope he steps it up as a live performer.

I’d be amazed if there wasn’t a heap of guests and a smoother transition (well you’d hope so)

Makes sense jumping on the success now, much like Stormzy and Billie being taken from their other spots quite quickly. 

39 minutes ago, nikkic said:

“Good” is subjective though, innit.

If you rewatch the iplayer footage from last year, the whole crowd is going bananas. 

Also a construct though. The music industry has given him the hardest push I think I've ever seen. Nepotastic.

I've seen tons of dj stuff this weekend that wipes the floor with him. Even Kurupt FM would have had the feel going wild, supported to that level. I bet GLC had similar scenes in their day.

55 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Fred and Stevie are obvious shouts, you don’t have to have insider knowledge to make these kind of predictions. 

O Rod, Sam Fender and Dave too, none of these would be surprising.

Ditto Robbie for the legend slot. 

How is Stevie Wonder an obvious booking? Only reason it's not totally out the blue is the rumours of 2024. He has no tour announced.

22 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

How is Stevie Wonder an obvious booking? Only reason it's not totally out the blue is the rumours of 2024. He has no tour announced.

Obvious as in, if he does tour, then Glasto would obviously be after him to do it again. 

The Glasto bookers will be in the know if and when he will be touring again, long before anything is publicly announced. 

Fred Again... and Sam Fender both seem fairly obvious bankers for either next year or 2027. Perhaps both 2025 if bigger deals fall through, one of them 2027 if Emily gets slightly 'bigger' signatures on the dotted line. 

Another name to chuck in - what about The Weeknd? Think he is due a new album this year.

25 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Harry Styles must be back soon surely? He will defo do it soon

I heard a while back (and shared) he’s taking a proper proper break. Not expecting to hear from him for a few years. He was very very burnt out at the end of the last tour.

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Also a construct though. The music industry has given him the hardest push I think I've ever seen. Nepotastic.

I've seen tons of dj stuff this weekend that wipes the floor with him. Even Kurupt FM would have had the feel going wild, supported to that level. I bet GLC had similar scenes in their day.

I am fairly amazed at how far Fred Again has come from playing King Tuts in Glasgow just a few years ago.  I like a few of the songs but the success seems to wildly outstrip them.  How does such a concerted push get organised though?  It's not like collusion or price fixing, but is it everyone in the music biz moving in a herd? 

He is somehow automatic fest headliner despite as noted an erratic/sometimes outright boring (at best) stage presence/presentation...he is somehow playing (and filling!) the Coliseum...he is best pals with Skrillex (how did that happen)..he is pals with Romy (were they at school together or something?)..he is related to Brian Eno...gets a big long Apple chat with Zane Lowe, longer than e.g. a Depeche Mode...

On topic - he is a "no brainer" to headline in 2025 or 2027.  Is this something one can place a bet on??  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

I am fairly amazed at how far Fred Again has come from playing King Tuts in Glasgow just a few years ago.  I like a few of the songs but the success seems to wildly outstrip them.  How does such a concerted push get organised though?  It's not like collusion or price fixing, but is it everyone in the music biz moving in a herd? 

He is somehow automatic fest headliner despite as noted an erratic/sometimes outright boring (at best) stage presence/presentation...he is somehow playing (and filling!) the Coliseum...he is best pals with Skrillex (how did that happen)..he is pals with Romy (were they at school together or something?)..he is related to Brian Eno...gets a big long Apple chat with Zane Lowe, longer than e.g. a Depeche Mode...

On topic - he is a "no brainer" to headline in 2025 or 2027.  Is this something one can place a bet on??  

He's an automatic headliner according to some people on here who live in a hype bubble. I've been on here nearly 10 years and the amount of hyberbolic nonsense about acts who will headline is as long as the bible. Wolf Alice were "definite headliners" a few years ago....

There's almost no chance Fred Again headlines the Pyramid in 2025, at the moment.

He's certainly blown up in the last few years, but he's not bigger than Other headliner at the moment, or Pyramid sub if they want to put him there.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

He's an automatic headliner according to some people on here who live in a hype bubble. I've been on here nearly 10 years and the amount of hyberbolic nonsense about acts who will headline is as long as the bible. Wolf Alice were "definite headliners" a few years ago....

There's almost no chance Fred Again headlines the Pyramid in 2025, at the moment.

He's certainly blown up in the last few years, but he's not bigger than Other headliner at the moment, or Pyramid sub if they want to put him there.

What if it was Skrillex x Fred Again.. x Four Tet? 

That could a cracking Friday night headliner. 

57 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

I agree with this. He’s also not (yet?) good enough as a live performer to pull off a Pyramid headline set, imo.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Interesting, he feels like a stick-on to headline.  Surely that would be a central plank of the music biz push you're alluding to.  Agreed the idea of Wolf Alice (as much as I love em) headlining is silly.  Personally it was the "Foals can headline" madness of a few years back that I laughed at the most.  

Am interested if anyone has any comments on my Fred Again observations, or how the industry has gathered to push him.

I think it’s anyone’s guess who’ll headline at this point. In the second GFP, Emily hinted strongly that nobody is confirmed for 2025 yet. Elsewhere I believe she said she has a good idea who they’ll probably be.

Assuming Madonna’s too expensive and Taylor’s too big, but they’re still driving for gender parity, I think we have to assume O-Rod is in the mix. Possibly Gaga as well, but Olivia would be the fresher, arguably more exciting act.

I’d personally love to see Dave as well, but no idea if this is realistic. 

As far as legend goes, Robbie is almost tailor made for it and he’d pull a gigantic crowd. Is he still a bit of a tosser these days? Would there be ‘fit’ issues? 

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

There's excellent DJs and then there's the ones that actually break through - which usually comes with a live show.

A lot of the big ones that have had proper mainstream commercial success hardly ever do DJ sets or aren't renowned for it (thinking Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Underworld - ones that have had big slots at glasto previously).

Its all well and good getting a incredibly rated dj who's been voted top of awards e.g. Ben Ufo or someone but you can only get so far up the main stage lineups without having actual songs the public know.

Few DJs actually are able to create hits that actually seem to breakthrough (to varying levels) at the rate he has been the past few years.