2025 Headliners

19 minutes ago, gfa said:

There's excellent DJs and then there's the ones that actually break through - which usually comes with a live show.

A lot of the big ones that have had proper mainstream commercial success hardly ever do DJ sets or aren't renowned for it (thinking Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Underworld - ones that have had big slots at glasto previously).

Its all well and good getting a incredibly rated dj who's been voted top of awards e.g. Ben Ufo or someone but you can only get so far up the main stage lineups without having actual songs the public know.

Few DJs actually are able to create hits that actually seem to breakthrough (to varying levels) at the rate he has been the past few years.

This is purely due to the push and social media strategy. His live show is absolutely bobbins. Pre-ordained. Money talks.

3 hours ago, Cuzzy said:

Just quickly gone through 30 odd pages no mention of U2 maybe doing it and maybe if still alive and the old voice is still up to it Rod Stewart on legends.

Judy Collins on the acoustic stage was mentioning that she used to be asked to  sing songs from the Rogers and Hammerstein musicals songbook. 

or as she now sarcastically calls it , the Rod Stewart songbook. 

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

He's an automatic headliner according to some people on here who live in a hype bubble. I've been on here nearly 10 years and the amount of hyberbolic nonsense about acts who will headline is as long as the bible. Wolf Alice were "definite headliners" a few years ago....

There's almost no chance Fred Again headlines the Pyramid in 2025, at the moment.

He's certainly blown up in the last few years, but he's not bigger than Other headliner at the moment, or Pyramid sub if they want to put him there.

He’s headlining Reading/Leeds this Summer.

Had a huge crowd at his Other sub slot.

He sold out a stadium in LA in 5 days. 

I will bet you 50 big ones he headlines the next time he plays….

3 hours ago, Johndenis said:

I am fairly amazed at how far Fred Again has come from playing King Tuts in Glasgow just a few years ago.  I like a few of the songs but the success seems to wildly outstrip them.  How does such a concerted push get organised though?  It's not like collusion or price fixing, but is it everyone in the music biz moving in a herd? 

He is somehow automatic fest headliner despite as noted an erratic/sometimes outright boring (at best) stage presence/presentation...he is somehow playing (and filling!) the Coliseum...he is best pals with Skrillex (how did that happen)..he is pals with Romy (were they at school together or something?)..he is related to Brian Eno...gets a big long Apple chat with Zane Lowe, longer than e.g. a Depeche Mode...

On topic - he is a "no brainer" to headline in 2025 or 2027.  Is this something one can place a bet on??  

2 hours ago, Johndenis said:

Am interested if anyone has any comments on my Fred Again observations, or how the industry has gathered to push him.

It is quite mental, but he is simply very well-connected and clearly has a strong team around him. 

As well as getting a lot of attention through lockdown streams via Rinse FM in the dark days of 2020, he has also written and/or produced for a number of heavyweights outside of his solo-work which I assume has also helped significantly:

- co-wrote 'Shotgun' by George Ezra

- produced Headie One's best mixtape he has ever released in my opinion

- wrote/produced for Stormzy, Charli XCX, Ed Sheeran, Raye, Jayda G (her biggest tune), Eminem, Justin Bieber, Romy, P!nk, Aitch, Rita Ora...(the list goes on, he also has at least one song on the new upcoming Kendrick album)

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

He's an automatic headliner according to some people on here who live in a hype bubble. I've been on here nearly 10 years and the amount of hyberbolic nonsense about acts who will headline is as long as the bible. Wolf Alice were "definite headliners" a few years ago....

There's almost no chance Fred Again headlines the Pyramid in 2025, at the moment.

He's certainly blown up in the last few years, but he's not bigger than Other headliner at the moment, or Pyramid sub if they want to put him there.

I definitely don't disagree with this post in relation to hype acts. Wolf Alice were never selling out stadiums though, and neither were Foals as another example, so I don't think it's a similar stretch to suggest that Fred could headline.

The guy sells out anywhere he plays, would likely bring out big guests, and would put on a show which is somewhat interesting to watch, even for your average BBC viewer who doesn't have a clue who he is. I am not the biggest fan of his solo-work personally - fairly uninteresting, entry-level dance/pop music in my opinion - but I would still say that he is capable of creating a Glastonbury 'moment' due to the nature of his show. His music is so aggressively accessible that I reckon he would pull it off. 

Edited by sildante
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Pyramid:

Friday: O-Rod         sub: Pulp

Saturday: Rhianna      sub: Prodigy

Sunday: Stevie Wonder         sub: Gwen Stefani

Other:

Fri: Foals

Sat: Skrillex x Fred x Four Tet

Sun: Tyler the Creator

If they clash Rihanna with Fred/Skrillex/Tet then I'm resigning Glastonbury. 

I hate Fred and Sonny but the fun that trio have onstage and manage to whip up in a crowd is something to behold. Genuinely don't know how I'd choose between that and an Umbrella singalong. 

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

This is purely due to the push and social media strategy. His live show is absolutely bobbins. Pre-ordained. Money talks.

I'm no Fred Again devotee but I mean, at least the Pyramid wouldn't be totally empty. SZA's label and management just seemed to shrug after her booking and everyone – including, it seems, most people at the festival – clueless about who she was and what she was about. Absolutely hung out to dry, especially when you consider how much pre-festival the likes of Dua / Shania / Coldplay recevied.

Liam Gallagher has surely got to be a case of 'when' and not 'if'? Huge ticket sales, tons of hits, plenty of potential 'glasto moments' when he sings the big 'uns etc. I think only an Oasis reunion would delay/block it as they would be doing their own shows for a few years for the $$$.

Edited by FrogLobster

I also think Fred would definitely make the headline slot a special event; special guests/collabs of Skrillex, Four Tet, Romy, Brian Eno, etc. To quote others on here he 'gets it'. I haven't seen him live so can't vouch for his quality (got ticket for his show in August so will evaluate then) but I don't think he'd half arse it and not hype it up in the build up; and he seems like the kind of guy to properly go for it with big shows in terms of production etc.

Edited by FrogLobster

I also think Fred is solid Friday night headliner. His Other Stage slot was packed like sardines, albeit his show was a little stop start and not the dance-party I was hoping for. 

But he ticks a lotta boxes. British, massive following, tonnes of special guest possibilities, he gets the festival, one for the relevant gals and lads, and would likely do it for pennies. 

Was curious to see who people were favouring on here but Fred Again? Seriously? Someone with one charting album and one top 10 single who's barely moved up to arenas in this country is, to put it mildly, a reach. SZA played four nights at the O2 last year and she had trouble pulling a big crowd. Playing a 70-minute set at a smaller festival with five co-headliners isn't exactly a slam dunk either, nor are Skrillex or Four Tet in guest spots. Looks far, far more likely for the Other Stage headline slot or maybe second/third on Main.

If I had to put money on it, I would say two of Stormzy (who was hanging out this year), Fender, Rodrigo and Florence together with an older, more established name - maybe Sheeran if he has anything out. People always underestimate how huge he is, and he's a Brit so he understands the gravity of the event.

Stevie Wonder is a possibility, but he's getting on a bit and doesn't seem to play these shows much anymore. I'd love to see them get Dre and Snoop in personally, but Rihanna or Pink (those 2000s nostalgia acts were huge this year) might be the best fit for size, timing and newness. Pulp probably wouldn't get the nod but they'd pull a far bigger crowd than most of the names people are touting.

Edited by Sunday scaries

52 minutes ago, Talcroft said:

If they clash Rihanna with Fred/Skrillex/Tet then I'm resigning Glastonbury. 

I hate Fred and Sonny but the fun that trio have onstage and manage to whip up in a crowd is something to behold. Genuinely don't know how I'd choose between that and an Umbrella singalong. 

It's all wishfil thinking of course, but it would be a horrible clash, but then I'd also be divided about Stevie Wonder and Tyler. Seen Stevie last time at Glasto and it was epic, but wouldn't get a chance to see Tyler again.

27 minutes ago, Sunday scaries said:

Was curious to see who people were favouring on here but Fred Again? Seriously? Someone with one charting album and one top 10 single who's barely moved up to arenas in this country is, to put it mildly, a reach. SZA played four nights at the O2 last year and she had trouble pulling a big crowd. Playing a 70-minute set at a smaller festival with five co-headliners isn't exactly a slam dunk either, nor are Skrillex or Four Tet in guest spots. Looks far, far more likely for the Other Stage headline slot or maybe second/third on Main.

He did 5 Ally Pallys in a row end of last year which is atleast 50k tickets in London. The R&L headliner hasn't happened yet so impossible to judge how much of a slam dunk that is at this current point of time. We are still 12 months out from 2025; enough time for him to headline R&L (He is playing after LDR) and do an arena run in the winter.

Fred also has the added cultural boost of being british, previous successful sets at the fest, local industry connections, etc. SZA headliner was just another date on her tour and had basically zero local hype in advance.

Fred doing it feels similar to Stormzy's push in many ways. Also, Stormzy didn't do arenas until after he headlined Glasto; so that metric doesn't make sense.

27 minutes ago, Sunday scaries said:

maybe Sheeran if he has anything out. People always underestimate how huge he is, and he's a Brit so he understands the gravity of the event.

I don't think anyone is underestimating the guy who can easily shift multiple stadiums in every city he plays on the planet. 😄

Edited by FrogLobster

30 minutes ago, Sunday scaries said:

If I had to put money on it, I would say two of Stormzy (who was hanging out this year), Fender, Rodrigo and Florence together with an older, more established name - maybe Sheeran if he has anything out. People always underestimate how huge he is, and he's a Brit so he understands the gravity of the event.

Stevie Wonder is a possibility, but he's getting on a bit and doesn't seem to play these shows much anymore. I'd love to see them get Dre and Snoop in personally, but Rihanna or Pink (those 2000s nostalgia acts were huge this year) might be the best fit for size, timing and newness. Pulp probably wouldn't get the nod but they'd pull a far bigger crowd than most of the names people are touting.

He has already played a set at Glastonbury with a bigger crowd than SZA did in her headline slot though, so there is absolutely no reason to imagine that he would pull a smaller crowd than that when he has only grown in popularity since

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

At any rate, Fred wont be locked now - think theyll wait to see how Reading turns out.

This seems likely. He said when R&L was announced it was the first festival he attended as a punter so its a big moment; he 'gets it' so will probably/hopefully be going all out for now headlining the thing!

1 hour ago, Sunday scaries said:

Yeah so… this would be booking a dance / electronic act to headline the main stage at a festival with a mostly millennial crowd that is increasingly geared (no pun intended) towards taking shitloads of drugs all day every day, and heading out immediately after the headliners finish to see more world-class dance / electronic music. I don’t think streaming numbers and the like really apply here.

It is undeniably early days for him in his career but he is a slam-dunk (probably more like a tap-in) booking for the dominant demographic at the festival *now*. That’s where Glastonbury is trending.

Edited by LinvoyPrimus