2025 Headliners

2 hours ago, Sunday scaries said:

If you think this translates to seeing big dance acts live, you clearly didn't see the tiny crowd Disclosure pulled on Saturday night, it barely reached the screens on the Other Stage. Ironically, the points you're making count against Fred because the people you're talking about invariably leave the headliners early to make sure they can get into West Hayes or SE Corner.

Stormzy was already a celebrity, coming off one of the biggest selling albums of the year, and his headlining represented a big first for the festival. None of this applies to Fred Again. I'm not saying pulling a big crowd at the Other Stage isn't impressive, even if it is up against Royal Blood, but Bloc Party and Avril pulled huge crowds this year and no one's hankering for them to headline.

Ultimately, you have to look at who the festival books as their headliners these days: big mainstream acts with huge sing-a-long hits and/or stage shows. That even applies to Lizzo and SZA, who people seem to think aren't big enough and chosen at least partially for diversity reasons, but who are both bigger than Fred on virtually every metric - album sales, hit singles, streaming numbers, venue sizes, mainstream recognition, you name it. SZA played four shows at the O2, twice the size of Ally Pally, last year and it didn't make a difference.

Emily Eavis has also been vocal about wanting to increase diversity at the top of the bill. Could I see Glastonbury making an exception for someone like Sam Fender, a magnetic artist with a huge, young, vaguely parasocial fanbase, a history of activism, two big number one albums and at least two huge anthems, whose last two UK shows were in a stadium? Yes. What are the chances they'd do the same with Fred Again, someone with no big albums, no mainstream presence for the viewers at home, almost no sing-a-long tunes and no big live rep, who's going to need a succession of largely unkown singers to come up for each song? I already know the answer, and it isn't 10%, 5%, 1% or even 0.1% - it's zero. ZERO PERCENT. And that's true whether your inside tip was from the owner of eFestivals, Mystic Meg or Emily Eavis herself.

Does this mean Fred couldn't do well near the top of the bill? I think he probably would do pretty well, but it's a vast jump from there to headliner and he doesn't fit for all the reasons above. Unless he releases some huge crossover songs I wouldn't even expect him to headline ahead of Harry Styles in three years' time. Some of you seem to be personally invested in this but it just ain't happening next year.

Nah... I still think he is going to do it. 😄 

2 hours ago, Benjsh said:

She will absolutely headline one day and if I'm wrong and she is back over in the UK/Europe next summer again then yeah she's a fairy good bet I'd say. We shall see. 

Will she have a new album out by next summer? If so then I could see it happening. I just thought they'd be a year off after a huge world tour. That's how it usually goes for these massive artists these days isn't it? 

Without upsetting the swifties too much as well......I would much rather watch O-Rod live. 

Artists usually do 2 year cycles on an album so I’d expect she’ll be back touring next summer whilst writing album number 3 ready to come out in 2026 at some point. Can see her doing a run of festivals on this album to see her ticket pull is as good as arenas and then ready for a big stadium tour on album number 3 all going well. 

No idea how likely this would be but I’ve had a go: 

PYRAMID: Fred again.. / Kasabian / Aerosmith 

OTHER: Catfish and the Bottlemen 

PYRAMID: Olivia Rodrigo / Pulp / Phoebe Bridgers 

OTHER: J Hus

PYRAMID: Stevie Wonder / Raye / Sabrina Carpenter / Girls Aloud (Teatime slot) 

OTHER: The Prodigy 

Let's go one better and not book any music acts to headline

Pyramid

Fred Again

Saturday Night Takeaway Live

Dua Lipa Ukelele Guy

Other

d*ck and/or Dom

Nobody but tell everyone it's Lana Del Rey and see how long they'll wait

James Acaster and Nish Kumar doing magic or something please give us a ticket

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Don't think a lot there would be unlikely. I do think however, The Prodigy would have done it this year and Catfish will be on the Pyramid. For me, they are too popular with and known wider compared to other stage headliners. They aren't as niche as Idles, Disclose or The National in my opinion anyway.

Id go 3rd down below Kasabian or Pulp for them myself. That top part though is so much stronger than this year's in my view.

10 hours ago, Benjsh said:

Olivia Rodrigo is highly unlikely to tour Europe in back to back summers. I think you can rule out her and Taylor Swift for next year personally. Be amazed if either artist bring their whole crew on the road again that soon. 

10 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Taylor won't, but Olivia returning to do a run of outdoor / festival shows is a decent bet.

Yeah I think she'll grab it in 2025 rather than risk 2027 status.

45 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Fred sold 75,000 tickets with 5 days notice for a stadium gig in America just  3 weeks ago. Glasto was outright scared about even putting him anywhere near the crowds this past weekend so he did Strummerville. Where is the part that Fred cant headline? 

IMG_1255.jpeg

You just don't get it; there is ZERO PERCENT its going to happen, apparently. 😄

20 hours ago, Superscally said:

This is purely due to the push and social media strategy. His live show is absolutely bobbins. Pre-ordained. Money talks.

For people who like dance music on here its disappointing but plenty of people clearly love it. He's still one of the hottest acts around

18 hours ago, OllieMadd said:

Not close to as rammed as Avril so by your logic, she can headline too?

Avril played at 6pm against Michael Kiwanuku ffs

2 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

You just don't get it; there is ZERO PERCENT its going to happen, apparently. 😄

I don't think people are saying he can't. There are two camps. 

The first who know he's shite and will be looking for something else to do when he's on

...and those who've bought the hype and will be excited about it even when he brings out his next incredibly dull record.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

I don't think people are saying he can't. There are two camps. 

The first who know he's shite and will be looking for something else to do when he's on

...and those who've bought the hype and will be excited about it even when he brings out his next incredibly dull record.

You're so far up your own arse. Boo hoo someone is popular that you don't like. Get over it 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sunday scaries said:

If you think this translates to seeing big dance acts live, you clearly didn't see the tiny crowd Disclosure pulled on Saturday night, it barely reached the screens on the Other Stage. Ironically, the points you're making count against Fred because the people you're talking about invariably leave the headliners early to make sure they can get into West Hayes or SE Corner.

Yeah I am often one of those people... but I suspect you wouldn't see as much of that when the Pyramid headliner is also a dance act. 

Personally don't care if he headlines or not, I just think it's absolutely possible now because the appetite is there and he's a good fit for the current Glastonbury crowd. Strike while the iron is hot and all that.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Aw right of course apologies. Now you've repeated it, you're definitely correct. Hope he headlines just to see your mental breakdown on here 🙂 

There won't be one, I'll just go somewhere else. Looking forward to seeing yours when I'm not arsed. Enjoy DJ Establishments laptop 😘

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Superscally said:

On a side note, I've always thought a one off megacrowd pleaser DJ set (all genres, just bangers) there on a Friday or Saturday night would be a hoot... Guess would hurt the other bars etc on the site

Nah mate, that would be SHITE and BOBBINS. And you know it! And doesn't matter what you say next, this is gospel! 

Edited by FrogLobster

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Couldn’t get near the place the 2 times I tried .. well I lie but I got in and so busy I left straight away 

Ah, yeh it was chaos on Thursday until close. I spent about five hours just stacking cups/cans on a bench outside. On Saturday after about 0030 it was actually quite spacious inside, still fairly rammed mind you. 

47 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Nah mate, that would be SHITE and BOBBINS. And you know it! And doesn't matter what you say next, this is gospel! 

Not talking about a headliner. Talking about after, like I've seen on other stages/other festivals. So you're saying that fun things aren't fun, or you just misinterpreted?

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

That Saturday would probably end up going down as my favourite ever evening of music if it happened...

13 hours ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Could see Beabadobee headlining Woodsies/the Park…

She's a weird one in that she's mega popular on streams and seemingly elsewhere in the world, but that doesn't tend to translate to the size of her live crowds at festivals.