Pyramid

Fri: Charli XCX, Sabrina Carpenter

Sat: Rihanna, Childish Gambino

Sun: Sam Fender, Glass Animals

Other

Fri: Vampire Weekend

Sat: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Sun: Becky Hill

A bold swing to have Charli XCX up top. She is in to arenas now - but not sure they're strong enough sales to sit up and take notice.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Other Headliner for Charli I reckon

Yeah sounds about right. Just think that there's a lot of time between now and next June and we have no idea how trajectories of artists might change.

Thinking about it now I think it'll be Raye getting the headliner bump next year not Charli

Pyramid: 

Friday: Fender / Dave

Sat: O-Rod / Fred Again

Sun: 'BIG NAME' / Raye

Other:

Fri: Charli XCX

Sat: Arcade Fire*

Sun: Mitski

Legend: Robbie

I do think it'll be a big un for Sunday night next year but honestly no idea who. wont be Madonna (ship sailed etc)

*potentially not given current murky moral status, so maybe a vampire weekend, glass animals or similar.

2 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

Pyramid

Fri: Charli XCX, Sabrina Carpenter

Sat: Rihanna, Childish Gambino

Sun: Sam Fender, Glass Animals

Other

Fri: Vampire Weekend

Sat: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Sun: Becky Hill

That I'd absolutely woeful and for me would go down as the worst top 9 acts if you like I've seen. A Glastonbury that books that top two for the Pyramid can be renamed V Festival slimline because V was better and call itself dead. VW and Becky Hill won't be subbing though, they aren't niche enough. This year you had SZA who no one knows, Disclosure and The National.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Becky Hill is like a 3rd down other kind of act i'd say

Childish Gambino would be a major coup as a pyramid sub - is he actually active at the moment thought he'd stopped doing music for now?

I think she's a bit higher than that now, don't make the mistake they did with Avril. Give her a slot where there is room to move. I'd say 3rd down Pyramid myself.

Raye may well be headlining in 2027 though.

To be honest, wouldn't discount her next year. If EE wants to ensure the bill remains balanced at the top end in gender terms, then she'll have a theoretical leg up on a few others, perhaps.

57 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Yeah sounds about right. Just think that there's a lot of time between now and next June and we have no idea how trajectories of artists might change.

Thinking about it now I think it'll be Raye getting the headliner bump next year not Charli

Raye album cycle wise won't be there by next year surely. Would be post fallow year if she keeps up the momentum

10 minutes ago, northernangel said:

That I'd absolutely woeful and for me would go down as the worst top 9 acts if you like I've seen. A Glastonbury that books that top two for the Pyramid can be renamed V Festival slimline because V was better and call itself dead. VW and Becky Hill won't be subbing though, they aren't niche enough. This year you had SZA who no one knows, Disclosure and The National.

I think she's a bit higher than that now, don't make the mistake they did with Avril. Give her a slot where there is room to move. I'd say 3rd down Pyramid myself.

Vampire Weekend subbed in 2019

There's no way Becky Hill will fill Other like Avril did. stick her pyramid whatever but she's like a 3pm act on there.

Avril was so busy as she's rare to catch - Becky Hill plays everywhere, every year

Raye suggestions stem entirely from the fact she won a load of Brits pretty much out of the blue. She’s not shifted anywhere near the tickets or done big shows you’d expect from a headliner.

Remains to be seen if her next album takes off following all the awards. If anything considering the shocking turnout for SZA Emily may be apprehensive to bump up an act again.

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Becky Hill is like a 3rd down other kind of act i'd say

Childish Gambino would be a major coup as a pyramid sub - is he actually active at the moment thought he'd stopped doing music for now?

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

He said he would stop making music, at least under his persona Childish Gambino, after the next two albums. No idea when they're due. Perhaps one later this year? 

https://deadline.com/2024/04/donald-glover-childish-gambino-1235886116/

Doing a world tour as we speak*, arrives in the UK in November time. His new album (final album under Childish Gambino alias I believe) comes out on 19th July with features from Jorja Smith, Kamsai Washington, Khruangbin, Steve Lacy, Yeat, Flo Milli & more - the listening party happened this past weekend. So it's likely he'll be doing the festival circuit next year I imagine

edit - *just checked and it actually starts in Aug, my bad!

Edited by sildante
correction

I would be astonished, absolutely astonished, if Charli XCX or Raye headlined Glastonbury next year. Sza was a dreadful decision, but was a relatively late one. The last thing Emily Eavis will want is social media full of photos of an empty Pyramid Stage again

They can book a young(ish), fresh artist without it being such an unnecessary punt. A Sam Fender, a Dave, or even an Olivia Rodrigo if EE feels at least one female headliner is needed. 

The facts are the female pool of bonafide (viable) headliners is very shallow right now. And this year has proven you can’t just force it, or promote people that large numbers of people anttending aren’t interested in.

Madonna? £££ always gonna be an issue
Taylor Swift? Clearly has no interest in festivals and won’t for quite some time
Rihanna? Hasn’t played properly for ages

Beyoncé? Similar to TS, not sure she has much interest in European festivals 

Lana Del Rey? Don’t think the festival will go near her again, sadly 

Billie Eilish? Far too soon to headline again

Lizzo is the one that would make most sense to me. Has a recent history with the festival and went down well.

So if I was to guess for 2025 I’d say:
- Harry Styles
- Sam Fender
- Lizzo

It’s new and exciting, without actually being much of a risk. One global superstar and two acts who have proven success at the festival. And it’s also a diverse line-up in terms of gender, sexuality, race and genre 

I'll be honest, my punt for RAYE is tied to the Brits, and a nice meaty slot at R+L this year, but Little Simz did hook a hell of a crowd before Coldplay. (Probably helped by Coldplay headlining to a point, but still.)

The trick will likely be pairing with a blockbuster sub and/or ensuring it's Friday or Saturday night. Sunday, going forward, should be your heritage headliner among the selection, like Elton John. (Still maintain Macca should have done Sunday too, for that.)

56 minutes ago, homesick said:

I would be astonished, absolutely astonished, if Charli XCX or Raye headlined Glastonbury next year. Sza was a dreadful decision, but was a relatively late one. The last thing Emily Eavis will want is social media full of photos of an empty Pyramid Stage again

They can book a young(ish), fresh artist without it being such an unnecessary punt. A Sam Fender, a Dave, or even an Olivia Rodrigo if EE feels at least one female headliner is needed. 

The facts are the female pool of bonafide (viable) headliners is very shallow right now. And this year has proven you can’t just force it, or promote people that large numbers of people anttending aren’t interested in.

Madonna? £££ always gonna be an issue
Taylor Swift? Clearly has no interest in festivals and won’t for quite some time
Rihanna? Hasn’t played properly for ages

Beyoncé? Similar to TS, not sure she has much interest in European festivals 

Lana Del Rey? Don’t think the festival will go near her again, sadly 

Billie Eilish? Far too soon to headline again

Lizzo is the one that would make most sense to me. Has a recent history with the festival and went down well.

So if I was to guess for 2025 I’d say:
- Harry Styles
- Sam Fender
- Lizzo

It’s new and exciting, without actually being much of a risk. One global superstar and two acts who have proven success at the festival. And it’s also a diverse line-up in terms of gender, sexuality, race and genre 

I don't think Emily will be scrambling to book Lizzo any time soon with the stuff that's come out about her recently

Bruce isn't coming back to Europe just for 4 shows so we'll have to see what dates he fills in I guess. 

People couldn't accuse him of skimming on the hits this time. 2nd half of the current show - Rising, Badlands, Thunder Road, Born in the USA, Born to Run, Bobby Jean, Dancing in the Dark, Tenth Av. 

We need a 15 minute version of Outlaw Pete this time. 

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Bruce isn't coming back to Europe just for 4 shows so we'll have to see what dates he fills in I guess. 

People couldn't accuse him of skimming on the hits this time. 2nd half of the current show - Rising, Badlands, Thunder Road, Born in the USA, Born to Run, Bobby Jean, Dancing in the Dark, Tenth Av. 

We need a 15 minute version of Outlaw Pete this time. 

**shudder**