2025 Headliners

On 8/14/2024 at 1:33 PM, incident said:

And importantly, directly contradicted by other rumours.

Also worth saying that people there are claiming the Euro 2025 tour gets announced tomorrow afternoon, which if correct would more solidly rule him in or all the way out.

Doesn't look like this announcement is happening

Edited by scatteredscreens

On 8/12/2024 at 2:23 PM, kalifire said:

Billy Joel would almost be as awful as Bruce Springsteen. Old white men with little to offer than ‘remember what I was like?’  

G25 needs to be modern, progressive, and reflect an understanding of where music is at currently. 

It's not 2020 any more. "White men are bad!" takes don't make you look virtuous, they make you look cringe.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of their music but if you're gonna judge artists on what they look like, may I suggest you attend a beauty pageant instead of a music festival?

It's also ironic you talk about a perceived lack of diversity then suggest Glastonbury only books younger artists and caters only to younger music fans. I'd be averse to any music festival that only books modern acts and "reflects an understanding of where music is currently".

Edited by VCK2
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

25 minutes ago, VCK2 said:

It's not 2020 any more. "White men are bad!" takes don't make you look virtuous, they make you look cringe.

Fair enough if you're not a fan of their music but if you're gonna judge artists on what they look like, may I suggest you attend a beauty pageant instead of a music festival?

It's also ironic you talk about a perceived lack of diversity then suggest Glastonbury only books younger artists and caters only to younger music fans. I'd be averse to any music festival that only books modern acts and "reflects an understanding of where music is currently".

So, we need a good mix of artists on the top line - not 3 x white men with guitars.

I can assure you we still feel the same way in 2024. 

• Upvote 2

While its probably a fair statement that newer music caters for (mostly) younger music fans - 

I absolutely despise this notion -  Older music fans should stop freezing there taste and embrace newer things it only sabotages there own enjoyment of the festival 

All the kinds of music that people likes from 10, 20, 30etc  however many years ago still exist in some form or other. It just whats popular that has changed.

Like if you are an older Rock music fan you do not have to suddenly change your tastes and start listening to Sabrina Carpenter because she is what is popular, but perhaps dig into some of the great lessor known new rock bands that are potentially still very good even if the genre they represent is not as popular as it once was. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Also, just because people are under-20 doesn't mean they don't like or aren't open for music from previous generations. 

When I was 18-21 I was listening to all sorts. Neil Young, Rolling Stones, Grandmaster Flash, Kool & the Gang, the O'Jays.

Just look at Elton last year. The whole spectrum of generations were in that field loving life.

Music transcends age, that's why it's so great.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stuie said:

So, we need a good mix of artists on the top line - not 3 x white men with guitars.

Well I'm all for a wide variety of genres being represented, as has always been the case at Glastonbury, but what does it matter what their race or gender are? I thought musical artists are meant to be judged on how good their music is, not their physical characteristics?

3 hours ago, VCK2 said:

Agreed. Representation is good, but there's way too much attention to this when it comes to the top line of the fest. People also tend to ignore that there's already been a huge increase in diverse acts across the whole festival spectrum, and Glasto certainly doesn't suffer from this. Furthermore, booking some hypothetical non-white male act who ends up bring some crappy commercial derivative is a regression for genuine quality art.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Who's we? I want the three best up there. If Springsteen or Billy Joel are available and keen, they walk in. Why? Because they're better than  most stuff out there. It is not their fault they are white or old. They are both better than Rihanna by a country mile (and I like Rihanna).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

While its probably a fair statement that newer music caters for (mostly) younger music fans - 

I absolutely despise this notion -  Older music fans should stop freezing there taste and embrace newer things it only sabotages there own enjoyment of the festival 

All the kinds of music that people likes from 10, 20, 30etc  however many years ago still exist in some form or other. It just whats popular that has changed.

Like if you are an older Rock music fan you do not have to suddenly change your tastes and start listening to Sabrina Carpenter because she is what is popular, but perhaps dig into some of the great lessor known new rock bands that are potentially still very good even if the genre they represent is not as popular as it once was. 

Out of upvotes

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Any chance Emily is backstage at Wembley tonight?
pssst, Swifty, what are you going at the end of June next year? 😊😉, can’t pay top dollar but it’s a great party. 

She's pretty generous with her moolah, she must like the charitable nature of Glastonbury without wanting the whopping salary she gets elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

Who's we? I want the three best up there. If Springsteen or Billy Joel are available and keen, they walk in. Why? Because they're better than  most stuff out there. It is not their fault they are white or old. They are both better than Rihanna by a country mile (and I like Rihanna).

‘We’ would be the people Emily felt the need to address when she apologised for 2022’s unbalanced top line. When they tried to pretend Lizzo was a joint headliner to balance it out.

Luckily the festival understand why diversity of the lineup is important, even if you don’t. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stuie said:

‘We’ would be the people Emily felt the need to address when she apologised for 2022’s unbalanced top line. When they tried to pretend Lizzo was a joint headliner to balance it out.

Luckily the festival understand why diversity of the lineup is important, even if you don’t. 

Emily's apology was cringe AF. The fest shouldn't have to resort to such pretend bullshit with elevating crap like Lizzo, given the diversity that Glasto already has. The notion that people who don't agree are all supposed to fall in line is ridiculous.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot

9 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Indeed, in my mid 50s but I'd say a fair chunk (and some of my favourite acts) this year were a few decades younger than me (yeah I know that's not hard, pish off). 

Just a few (there are plenty more) Arxx, Lambrini Girls, Moonchild sanelly, Remi Wolf, Fontaines, Kneecap, Simz, Billy Nomates, Gossip, Lottery Winners, Bob Vylan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stuie said:

Based on how many were watching SZA, not many of this “We” you are describing actually attend the festival. Hopefully they learned this year to book the best acts for the stage and not to worry about a Guardian writer’s opinion on the gender and race of the 3 Pyramid headliners.

Not that I’m arguing for Muse, Foos & RHCP, but the 2023 Pyramid headliners were great, the overall lineup was diverse, everyone (except the Guardian) understands they are trying their best, and there was no need for an apology. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, VCK2 said:

Nobody said 'white men are bad'. But diversity is important, wouldn't you agree? It's not "cringe" to think so in 2024, it's still a sign of inclusivity and recognition, which is important for a progressive festival like Glasto. It's also important - in my opinion - that the festival continues to embrace new and emerging superstars at the top of the ticket. My "old white men" comment was clumsy, but what I meant wasn't that they shouldn't be there because of any of those three attributes, but neither should those attributes be the reason why they should. Representation is something Emily clearly takes seriously and I think she's right to.

13 hours ago, VCK2 said:

Again, I didn't suggest that, and as others have pointed out, younger music fans don't necessarily correlate exclusively to younger artists anyway. Nobody has suggested the festival adopts some kind of exclusive criteria for booking headliners, but it's refreshing that you're more likely to see a diverse range of acts, on various different levels, in 2024 then you were in 2004.

6 hours ago, assorted said:

Based on how many were watching SZA, not many of this “We” you are describing actually attend the festival. Hopefully they learned this year to book the best acts for the stage and not to worry about a Guardian writer’s opinion on the gender and race of the 3 Pyramid headliners.

Not that I’m arguing for Muse, Foos & RHCP, but the 2023 Pyramid headliners were great, the overall lineup was diverse, everyone (except the Guardian) understands they are trying their best, and there was no need for an apology. 

As before, I'm an old git, so my knowledge is finite, however I'm not convinced picking one act that was likely to be weaker for a number of reasons proves your point?   (and tbh the guardian aspect is a bit feeble imo given they've been hugely supportive of the fest for decades) 

As with most years, the line up was full of acts that were diverse and went down fabulously. 

8 hours ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Emily's apology was cringe AF. The fest shouldn't have to resort to such pretend bullshit with elevating crap like Lizzo, given the diversity that Glasto already has. The notion that people who don't agree are all supposed to fall in line is ridiculous.

My only issue with that was that they didn't 'elevate' her in anything other than poster position. 

6 hours ago, assorted said:

I was fully expecting a man to hold up SZA as a reason why the festival shouldn't worry about gender diversity on the top line.  Totally ignoring the problem that the pool of female headliners is too small in a previously male-dominated industry.  

Isn't the point about diversity of artists is that Emily has the doubly difficult job of filling a field plus building a future audience, if she has to choose between one or the other I imagine she will go with building a future audience - we can see this with some of the Pyramid acts and the new stages in Shangi-la and I'm really pleased to see it. 

• Like 1