2025 Headliners

6 hours ago, gfa said:

I'm 23 and have never heard a single person my age talk about Billy Joel or seen a tiktok about him

What is this weird billy joel bubble?!

Only place I'd heard more depth to it was noting that a main character in Amazon's The Boys is a Billy Joel stan.

But this seems like it's own organic slice of weird.

6 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Aren’t you looking at 1 act here and calling the whole thing a failure ? I went to many female acts over the course of the festival … several of whom were much discussed on the overcrowding threads . The female lineup this year was incredible I’m not sure where the whinging is coming from ? One act does not make a festival . Maybe SZA was a miss but that stage has had several other misses over the years which have also been discussed on here many times . 

One of the best acts I saw this year were a female Japanese punk band at the park. Can't remember the name but they gave it everything and were the coolest thing I saw all weekend.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Only place I'd heard more depth to it was noting that a main character in Amazon's The Boys is a Billy Joel stan.

But this seems like it's own organic slice of weird.

Only comes up in the first season. After that he's too busy getting indignified in all sorts of creative ways.

8 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

One of the best acts I saw this year were a female Japanese punk band at the park. Can't remember the name but they gave it everything and were the coolest thing I saw all weekend.

Otoboke Beaver. Thanks for catching up from 6 years ago. 

31 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

That's them! Was definitely this year though..

They were great fun. I was lucky enough to chat to them after the show. They asked me if they could play Glastonbury 2025. I’m thinking what!? Do I look like Eavis? 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Laughing at the idea of the Billster hyping up the crowd in the final third and then he drops River Of Dreams into the mix, a song that will immediately take the crown of the worst tune ever played on El Pointo.

It's not a favourite of mine (to put it mildly) but it segues into a cover of 'River Deep Mountain High' which always gets the crowd going.

I was surprised by the number of young people at Cardiff, and not dragged there by their parents

Billy Joel popular with teenagers? Nahhh, can’t be, surely? I’m 31 and know two Billy Joel songs and one of them is only because Westlife covered it when I was a kid. 

When kids find music on TikTok, it doesn’t mean they’re a fan of that artist or that artist is popular with young’uns; it means that they like one part of one song by someone.

When I’ve spoken to kids about music at work before, they will say they love this artist and that artist that you wouldn’t expect them to know (you know, because that artist is waaaaay old compared to them) and when I’ve pressed them further, they know just one song or a couple at most. An example; the amount of kids that were saying they loved Kate Bush a couple of years ago when in reality all they knew was Running Up That Hill because of Stranger Things and TikTok. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/16/2024 at 4:51 AM, kalifire said:

Nobody said 'white men are bad'. But diversity is important, wouldn't you agree? It's not "cringe" to think so in 2024, it's still a sign of inclusivity and recognition, which is important for a progressive festival like Glasto. It's also important - in my opinion - that the festival continues to embrace new and emerging superstars at the top of the ticket. My "old white men" comment was clumsy, but what I meant wasn't that they shouldn't be there because of any of those three attributes, but neither should those attributes be the reason why they should. Representation is something Emily clearly takes seriously and I think she's right to.

Again, I didn't suggest that, and as others have pointed out, younger music fans don't necessarily correlate exclusively to younger artists anyway. Nobody has suggested the festival adopts some kind of exclusive criteria for booking headliners, but it's refreshing that you're more likely to see a diverse range of acts, on various different levels, in 2024 then you were in 2004.

Well I think everyone getting a fair crack regardless of background, and based entirely on merit is important, if that means diversity then sure. It makes more sense than just ticking boxes for the purpose of feeling good about one's self. But we're never going to be an equal society if we continue to categorise people based on their identities.

Really, when I see a festival's line-up, I couldn't care less what race or gender all the artists are and yet every time I come on here there's someone complaining about the line-up not being diverse enough. It's really not important compared to how worthy they are of headlining. Bruce Springsteen would be a much better choice of headliner than someone like Ice Spice; likewise Rihanna would be a much better choice of headliner than someone like The Courteeners.

Like I say it's a music festival, not a beauty pageant. People go to music festivals to enjoy the music, not assess how good the line-up is based on what the artists look like.

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2024 at 6:19 PM, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Agreed. Representation is good, but there's way too much attention to this when it comes to the top line of the fest. People also tend to ignore that there's already been a huge increase in diverse acts across the whole festival spectrum, and Glasto certainly doesn't suffer from this. Furthermore, booking some hypothetical non-white male act who ends up bring some crappy commercial derivative is a regression for genuine quality art.

The funniest thing I've seen on this website was the sheer meltdown over the Reading and Leeds 2021 headliners. Ignoring the fact that Stormzy was there which "added diversity", they were seething because Billie Eilish or Dua Lipa, two white women, weren't booked.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, On The Blend said:

I genuinely think Billy being announced as topping the bill would be mocked relentlessly. SZA looks like a future-thinking punt, Billy Joel makes the fest look completely out of touch 

Again, there's 3 headline spots and plenty room for both old and new. It'd only make the festival look out of touch if they booked acts of a similar vintage for all 3 nights. If there's a balance, most people would see that and the ones who couldn't grasp it would likely be the types who'd be finding a reason to criticise regardless of who was booked.

18 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Where would Bjork play these days? Would be perfect for the legend slot.

I doubt she would play Glastonbury. When she was at blue dot in 2022 she insisted there was no sound leak from anywhere on site. Apart  from one small tent that was well away from the main stage and the sound was turned down in that, there was no other music from anywhere. Even the food stalls were told to

switch music off 

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

It could work, if she played her greatest hits, but I expect she’s not that interested in relying on the past.

IMG_1408.jpeg

She played Coachella last year, it was a bit out of the blue and she did actually crack out a solid few hits.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bjork/2023/empire-polo-club-indio-ca-63b83a67.html

Hunter, Jóga, Pluto, Isobel, Hyperballad, Aurora, You've Been Flirting Again.

I reckon if she did something like this at Glastonbury it'd go down well. Not legend slot though, maybe headlining Other, or even West Holts if she'd take it