2025 Headliners

I think it's time for a "thinking outside the box" headliner. A theatre production, ballet, or full orchestra, or something along those lines. It would make Glastonbury unique to all the other festivals, and it will adjust people's expectations and alleviate some of that pressure that Emily Eavis must feel.

9 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

I think it's time for a "thinking outside the box" headliner. A theatre production, ballet, or full orchestra, or something along those lines. It would make Glastonbury unique to all the other festivals, and it will adjust people's expectations and alleviate some of that pressure that Emily Eavis must feel.

I dunno, it's not the BBC Proms. Plus, with all the relevant lads crying foul over a band from 20 years ago, I don't think music, ballet, or a show written in the 1800s will go down too well either.

For T&C, I think you could make a case for having longer performances sometimes or more amateur dramatics from around the area coming in and performing for an hour at a time.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

Would be a great way to kill off the festival.

There just aren't any big enough though.

Lots of fests (Latitude love them particularly) to get like James with Orchestra or pete tong ibiza classics etc, maybe one of these kind of things could work for WH/Woodises/Park. Not sure any are big enough for Other/Pyramid tho - maybe zimmer

They would use up a lot more tickets than most headliners too worth considering i guess.

8 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Exactly. It would be horrendous. Okay for a novelty Pyramid opening, but beyond that no way 

Definitely not headliner material in any way shape or form, but I could see something along those lines having a place somewhere. Max Richter up on The Park last year was fantastic, no reason why something of a similar ilk couldn't work somewhere

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Archaos headlined in 1990 or so

While that's technically true, wasn't it a bit more along the lines of "they were designated as headliner in order to justify that it was an Arts festival rather than a Music festival, and so in reality were more of a post-headliner thing".

Certainly the Festival has in recent years considered The Cure (playing before Archaos) to count towards their total of 4 headline appearances.

30 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Archaos headlined in 1990 or so

only thing similar-ish nowadays that i can think of  would be circ du solei 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

There just aren't any big enough though.

Lots of fests (Latitude love them particularly) to get like James with Orchestra or pete tong ibiza classics etc, maybe one of these kind of things could work for WH/Woodises/Park. Not sure any are big enough for Other/Pyramid tho - maybe zimmer

They would use up a lot more tickets than most headliners too worth considering i guess.

Pete Tong's orchestra show in the same slot as Hacienda the other year would work I reckon

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

We have talked on here before about the possibility of huge comedy headliners that normally do stadiums.

I remember there was one bloke that kept pushing for Peter Kay, and kept being shot down by everyone else, but I could never quite tell whether he was serious or not. I would've assumed a joke, but if so then fair play he really kept with it.

3 hours ago, incident said:

While that's technically true, wasn't it a bit more along the lines of "they were designated as headliner in order to justify that it was an Arts festival rather than a Music festival, and so in reality were more of a post-headliner thing".

Certainly the Festival has in recent years considered The Cure (playing before Archaos) to count towards their total of 4 headline appearances.

I thought they did that as the music festivals needed licensing but art festivals didn’t under the then new criminal justice act.