2025 Headliners

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

I think that'll be a few years down the line. 2025 would be a real sight of her essentially going "Pop culture is nothing without me!" but I thought there was talk Eras was ending at the end of the year and that she had non-musical projects lined up for 2025.

I've heard she is doing more recording next year, so new music and then back out on tour in 2026, not sure what that will look like. She could do another 3 years of eras tour and the demand wouldn't be satisfied.

4 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

Do you know that music IS a performing art? If the Glastonbury organisers was as narrow-thinking as some people on here, the festival as we know it wouldn't be here today. The classical and theatre markets are huge, and filled with very talented people.

And as for "moving away from musical artists" goes, the Pyramid Stage already does that regularly. 

All I'm saying is, it's worth a try with one Pyramid headline slot, especially if they're starting to book traditional headliners that are missing the mark anyway. There's nothing to lose. It would take that "Pyramid Headliner" pressure off the organisers, and they know their loyalists (a lot of whom are on here (sycophants?)) would praise the festival no matter what. Worst case scenario? Another SZA.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a big risk. There are acts out there that are huge despite being out of the typical festival-goer's realms of comprehension. 

Not my cup of tea either but I'd be ok with something different. So many people say that they barely ever go to see a Pyramid Headliner, yet they seem very precious about who actually headlines.

I'd probably be more likely to go see something different there rather than your boringly predictable pop acts. I think the Sunday headline slot might have some potential 👍🏼

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, stuie said:

I’m very aware of all performing arts, thanks. Aside from a couple of guest speakers, please explain the history of non-musical artists and the Pyramid stage. I’m intrigued. 

Well you're trying to get me to justify something I didn't say, due to your previous confusion as to what "performing arts" means. Go check the last time you quoted me and catch up a little bit, then we could probably have a more coherent discussion. I see a non-musical act as a possibility, yes (there is a precedent for non musical slots on the Pyramid Stage - not many, but if there were it wouldn't be trying something new, would it?), but you're forgetting that a lot of theatre does in fact have musical elements too. And of course, the classical genre is an option, as I have previously stated. Which is musical, I think you'll agree.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

Well you're trying to get me to justify something I didn't say, due to your previous confusion as to what "performing arts" means. Go check the last time you quoted me and catch up a little bit, then we could probably have a more coherent discussion. I see a non-musical act as a possibility, yes (there is a precedent for non musical slots on the Pyramid Stage - not many, but if there were it wouldn't be trying something new, would it?), but you're forgetting that a lot of theatre does in fact have musical elements too. And of course, the classical genre is an option, as I have previously stated. Which is musical, I think you'll agree.

I'm not sure you've explained your point clearly, as for the most part the things outside the typical genres for pyramid things are usually early slots, where a proportion of the audience won't yet be up and about, so far before the time of peak audiences. 

If people want to see classical or theatre (other than the existing fest slots) there are already tons of town or city venues to see that and indeed those places do not want more competition for business. 

Finally if you get frustrated because others, who in many cases have loved the festival for a lot of their lives, don't agree with your perspective you clearly aren't gonna win anyone over by calling them sycophants. 

Lots of folks (but not all) just think that for the most part the bookers do a good job - I've seen some cracking stuff and a lot of brilliant surprises over just under 40 years. 

11 hours ago, Iphigenia said:

Do you know that music IS a performing art? If the Glastonbury organisers was as narrow-thinking as some people on here, the festival as we know it wouldn't be here today. The classical and theatre markets are huge, and filled with very talented people.

And as for "moving away from musical artists" goes, the Pyramid Stage already does that regularly. 

All I'm saying is, it's worth a try with one Pyramid headline slot, especially if they're starting to book traditional headliners that are missing the mark anyway. There's nothing to lose. It would take that "Pyramid Headliner" pressure off the organisers, and they know their loyalists (a lot of whom are on here (sycophants?)) would praise the festival no matter what. Worst case scenario? Another SZA.

Having said that, it wouldn't be a big risk. There are acts out there that are huge despite being out of the typical festival-goer's realms of comprehension. 

No way, music is a performing art? *Mind. Blown.*

I feel like you're holding the festival up to some kind of weird pseudo-standard that doesn't exist.

It's not like the organisers are breaking the mould every single festival with bookings. They routinely book acts most people would agree are very popular and very big. Not very ground ground breaking to book the most popular artists at the moment or of all time. Again, SZA was a gamble they thought would pay off, but it didn't. There's no reason to go ten leaps further forward and change the mould of the whole Pyramid because of one dud crowd out of the last 50 headliners.

Regularly moving away from musical artists on the Pyramid? Corbyn for ten minutes on a Saturday afternoon back in 2017, eight years ago? He drew a medium sized crowd before a very popular hip-hop act. Again, that's not exactly a mind-blowing moment of radical thought. I'm surprised they hadn't done it before tbh, or since. So, why have they done it once in 25 years? That ain't very regular.

I think you're forgetting the fact that at the end of a long day of partying a lot of people want to end their night on a massive high by seeing one of their favourite bands/artists and rock out or dance the night away. Is there a massive demand to end the day by seeing ballet Swan Lake, Lion King, Tristan & Isolde? There is no way that 40k people are gonna wanna do that when many of those pieces rely heavily on being able to see the actual stage (not just the screens, but the actual stage), unless they change the demographics of the festival substantially.

I hear it all the time that Glastonbury is some kind of arbiter of cutting edge music pushers etc etc, but Reading/Leeds, at least in a headliner sense, have given people their chance earlier than Glastonbury. Fred this year, Fender last year, Dave 2022.

Glastonbury's appeal is that they can land the biggest of the best. Bruce, Beyonce, Taylor, Elton aren't gonna do Reading/Leeds - but none of those are cutting edge or breaking the mould.

Could you list all of the non-musical performances that have broken the mould on the Pyramid?

Who are these huge amazing cool acts that the average festival-goer doesn't know about? Please, enlighten us.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

I'm not sure you've explained your point clearly, as for the most part the things outside the typical genres for pyramid things are usually early slots, where a proportion of the audience won't yet be up and about, so far before the time of peak audiences. 

If people want to see classical or theatre (other than the existing fest slots) there are already tons of town or city venues to see that and indeed those places do not want more competition for business. 

Finally if you get frustrated because others, who in many cases have loved the festival for a lot of their lives, don't agree with your perspective you clearly aren't gonna win anyone over by calling them sycophants. 

Lots of folks (but not all) just think that for the most part the bookers do a good job - I've seen some cracking stuff and a lot of brilliant surprises over just under 40 years. 

4 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

No way, music is a performing art? *Mind. Blown.*

I feel like you're holding the festival up to some kind of weird pseudo-standard that doesn't exist.

It's not like the organisers are breaking the mould every single festival with bookings. They routinely book acts most people would agree are very popular and very big. Not very ground ground breaking to book the most popular artists at the moment or of all time. Again, SZA was a gamble they thought would pay off, but it didn't. There's no reason to go ten leaps further forward and change the mould of the whole Pyramid because of one dud crowd out of the last 50 headliners.

Regularly moving away from musical artists on the Pyramid? Corbyn for ten minutes on a Saturday afternoon back in 2017, eight years ago? He drew a medium sized crowd before a very popular hip-hop act. Again, that's not exactly a mind-blowing moment of radical thought. I'm surprised they hadn't done it before tbh, or since. So, why have they done it once in 25 years? That ain't very regular.

I think you're forgetting the fact that at the end of a long day of partying a lot of people want to end their night on a massive high by seeing one of their favourite bands/artists and rock out or dance the night away. Is there a massive demand to end the day by seeing ballet Swan Lake, Lion King, Tristan & Isolde? There is no way that 40k people are gonna wanna do that when many of those pieces rely heavily on being able to see the actual stage (not just the screens, but the actual stage), unless they change the demographics of the festival substantially.

I hear it all the time that Glastonbury is some kind of arbiter of cutting edge music pushers etc etc, but Reading/Leeds, at least in a headliner sense, have given people their chance earlier than Glastonbury. Fred this year, Fender last year, Dave 2022.

Glastonbury's appeal is that they can land the biggest of the best. Bruce, Beyonce, Taylor, Elton aren't gonna do Reading/Leeds - but none of those are cutting edge or breaking the mould.

Could you list all of the non-musical performances that have broken the mould on the Pyramid?

Who are these huge amazing cool acts that the average festival-goer doesn't know about? Please, enlighten us.

No point in me wasting time repeating things I've already said. You need to take the time to read my previous posts properly, although I know you won't because you just want to ignore my point and follow an imagined narrative in order to try to make me feel like I'm stupid. The trouble with that is I know that's not true and everyone knows that the type of people who do that are trying to compensate for something they're lacking.

I'm not going to make your limitations my problem by going over old ground 😂🤣

Open your mind and look at the facts is all I ask. I never wanted a simple suggestion to become personal.

I'll say no more because I don't want to disturb your little echo chamber.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Iphigenia said:

No point in me wasting time repeating things I've already said. You need to take the time to read my previous posts properly, although I know you won't because you just want to ignore my point and follow an imagined narrative in order to try to make me feel like I'm stupid. The trouble with that is I know that's not true and everyone knows that the type of people who do that are trying to compensate for something they're lacking.

I'm not going to make your limitations my problem by going over old ground 😂🤣

Open your mind and look at the facts is all I ask. I never wanted a simple suggestion to become personal.

I'll say no more because I don't want to disturb your little echo chamber.

Lol. Okay.

No evidence to back up anything you claimed then about breaking new ground or being cutting edge or regular non-music performances on the Pyramid.

As you were, people.

• Downvote 1

On 8/22/2024 at 10:02 AM, clarkete said:

No, well found though, it's nice to find a little flavour of the old days. 

Don't think I agree with all their Happy Mondays perspective though, there seemed to be a big influx of young lads from Manchester and as with the times, if a proportion of folks get in for nowt then it's quite likely some of them will see if there's owt worth nicking - I always mention that year I went up the green fields and saw a young Manc lad flogging a car stereo for ten or twenty quid - as now it wasn't the sort of place you saw someone sat down flogging something with a makeshift cardboard sign 😋

It seems strange to me that the Happy Mondays would have been sitting in their bus making passes for enough people to really affect the crowd status, like some kind of high ID counterfeiter getting thousands of extras in.

Did you see any of the Battle of Yeoman Bridge that year?

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Lol. Okay.

No evidence to back up anything you claimed then about breaking new ground or being cutting edge or regular non-music performances on the Pyramid.

As you were, people.

Since when did anyone provide evidence for anything on here? You don't need evidence for an opinion. And if you read back, it was you who brought up t&c and non musical acts! Then after forcing it into the conversation you're asking for someone else to provide evidence in support of it 😯😯😯

Personally, I dislike it, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest classical music is popular. So let's not gang up on anyone just because of a valid opinion, please. It's not nice to see.

🏻 

Edited by CharlotteB
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

It seems strange to me that the Happy Mondays would have been sitting in their bus making passes for enough people to really affect the crowd status, like some kind of high ID counterfeiter getting thousands of extras in.

Did you see any of the Battle of Yeoman Bridge that year?

My memory is very fuzzy of most old years, certainly remember there being a lot of manc lads that year, which wasn't a demographic I'd particularly noticed before.  When they took to the stage the fella calling out "Happy Mondays in the area" a few times to a very positive reception. 

As for the battle I don't particularly recall it - firstly I'm old and would have likely been "foggy", secondly I'm very much a coward, thirdly if it was the travellers fields they weren't places I spent long in and tbh some of them clearly didn't want us too (although the majority were sound - like any community they had good and bad) 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

So let's not gang up on anyone just because of a valid opinion, please. It's not nice to see.

🏻 

I don't necessarily think your fair with the final point.  I went to a great deal of trouble to be courteous and specific in my reply and most who know me would attest that is by no means typical. 

The response as was the case in the one I had originally responded to, was passive aggressive at best, so I'm somewhat surprised to be accused of ganging up on anyone. 

1 hour ago, CharlotteB said:

😯😯So let's not gang up on anyone just because of a valid opinion, please. It's not nice to see.

the OP started off sarcastically asking me if I knew music was a performing art then claimed that there was a history of non-musical acts on the pyramid. 

I simply asked what they were and got another sh*tty answer, so I left the conversation alone. Until you come along and accused us of ganging up! 

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

Since when did anyone provide evidence for anything on here? You don't need evidence for an opinion. And if you read back, it was you who brought up t&c and non musical acts! Then after forcing it into the conversation you're asking for someone else to provide evidence in support of it 😯😯😯

Personally, I dislike it, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest classical music is popular. So let's not gang up on anyone just because of a valid opinion, please. It's not nice to see.

🏻 

The poster said the Pyramid has "regularly had non-musical acts" and there are several huge theatre and performance acts we had never heard of that could headline. I asked for evidence when these non-music acts had popped up over the years and which performance acts could potentially headline which we'd never heard of. I assume that would be easy to prove/disprove in a general Q&A format. The poster also has called me and others narrow-minded, loyalists and sycophants, claimed I couldn't read properly, and still hasn't told anyone who these regular non-music acts are who've appeared on the Pyramid and who these massive unheard of acts are that could headline. What's wrong with that?

Are you gonna message this other guy as well and ask him to tone down his condescending labelling!?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

I don't necessarily think your fair with the final point.  I went to a great deal of trouble to be courteous and specific in my reply and most who know me would attest that is by no means typical. 

The response as was the case in the one I had originally responded to, was passive aggressive at best, so I'm somewhat surprised to be accused of ganging up on anyone. 

I wasn't accusing anyone in particular. I suppose it's up to you to judge yourself. But I've seen much worse suggestions in this thread that haven't prompted as a big a response.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

the OP started off sarcastically asking me if I knew music was a performing art then claimed that there was a history of non-musical acts on the pyramid. 

I simply asked what they were and got another sh*tty answer, so I left the conversation alone. Until you come along and accused us of ganging up! 

To be fair, you did get the wrong end of the stick before wading in. And as said before, he (the OP, I forget the username), didn't bring non musical acts into the conversation. Then the wolf pack seems to be dwelling on that one sentence (even though the OP rightly said that Jeremy Corbyn drew a huge crowd at the Pyramid Stage). Now you're getting up on your high horse and wanting to claim that I'm victimizing you 🤣 I don't think that's going to fly. I'm just sticking up for someone who's seemed to get needlessly attacked.

26 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

The poster said the Pyramid has "regularly had non-musical acts" and there are several huge theatre and performance acts we had never heard of that could headline. I asked for evidence when these non-music acts had popped up over the years and which performance acts could potentially headline which we'd never heard of. I assume that would be easy to prove/disprove in a general Q&A format. The poster also has called me and others narrow-minded, loyalists and sycophants, claimed I couldn't read properly, and still hasn't told anyone who these regular non-music acts are who've appeared on the Pyramid and who these massive unheard of acts are that could headline. What's wrong with that?

Are you gonna message this other guy as well and ask him to tone down his condescending labelling!?

I can see why they got defensive though. And as I said above, people seem to be dwelling on that one sentence about non musical acts. But there have been a few non musical acts on the pyramid stage, I'm sure. Speakers and dance acts and such. But again, the non musical element wasn't even introduced into the equation by the OP.

I just feel like people are getting a bit confused and needlessly taking out their frustrations on someone whose original suggestion seemed at least plausible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

To be fair, you did get the wrong end of the stick before wading in. And as said before, he (the OP, I forget the username), didn't bring non musical acts into the conversation. Then the wolf pack seems to be dwelling on that one sentence (even though the OP rightly said that Jeremy Corbyn drew a huge crowd at the Pyramid Stage). Now you're getting up on your high horse and wanting to claim that I'm victimizing you 🤣 I don't think that's going to fly. I'm just sticking up for someone who's seemed to get needlessly attacked.

what is up with your language?

wolf pack // victimising // attacked

stop being so dramatic. 

as you’ve waded in to comment on my wading in, I will leave this ridiculous conversation for a second time 🙄

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

I wasn't accusing anyone in particular. I suppose it's up to you to judge yourself. But I've seen much worse suggestions in this thread that haven't prompted as a big a response.

Ah, you are backing them whatever they've said.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Ah, you are backing them whatever they've said.

Thanks for clarifying.

See this is what you did to them, that's why I'm backing them 😁 I know what you lot are like! 😅 They said some d*ck-ish things, but only in self defence. You reap what you sow.

40 minutes ago, stuie said:

what is up with your language?

wolf pack // victimising // attacked

stop being so dramatic. 

as you’ve waded in to comment on my wading in, I will leave this ridiculous conversation for a second time 🙄

That kind of language is stinging, isnt it?,  especially when it's true.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, CharlotteB said:

See this is what you did to them, that's why I'm backing them 😁 I know what you lot are like! 😅 They said some d*ck-ish things, but only in self defence. You reap what you sow.

That kind of language is stinging, isnt it?,  especially when it's true.

What did I say to warrant their language?

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

What did I say to warrant their language?

You're the one who has included yourself in all of my criticisms. I didn't pay much attention to who said what, just that it was said. If this doesn't involve you, don't worry about it. What did they direct at you? I'll happily condemn it if it makes you feel better.