2025 Headliners

Re Pulp, I don't really understand this bit:

...they think there last show at Glastonbury is the one they want to be remembered for and so will most likely not play the festival again

Their last appearance was 2011, and the last time they were on the poster was 1998. Would they choose either of these to be the one they want to remembered for?

Edited by Joey Peeps

1 hour ago, Joey Peeps said:

Re Pulp, I don't really understand this bit:

...they think there last show at Glastonbury is the one they want to be remembered for and so will most likely not play the festival again

Their last appearance was 2011, and the last time they were on the poster was 1998. Would they choose either of these to be the one they want to remembered for?

Certainly, Jarvis Cocker himself said Pulp are planning on being around next year and the fact a few new songs are appearing in live shows of late hints they have been up to something.

But like you say, Pulp's last Glastonbury spot was a 2011 secret set and in 1998, 3 years on from their famed last-minute headline triumph, they were an outright bill-topper playing This is Hardcore in the pissing rain. So if the idea is to protect that 1995 show's legacy, surely that's already out the window.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I would be surprised if they took 3 punts. All 3 of those come with question marks around their size or suitability. 

Hang on what?! Olivia Rodrigo and Eminem are absolutely huge.  (And Fred would do absolutely fine too)

5 minutes ago, sisco said:

Hang on what?! Olivia Rodrigo and Eminem are absolutely huge.  (And Fred would do absolutely fine too)

Not doubting their size. Eminem is huge obviously, revered by his fellow rappers, but I think there's a reason why he's often rumoured and never appears. Think the Eavii are unsure of his suitability as a headliner due to his lyrics and persona. Fred is an up-and-comer (and I think he'd personally be great) but there's not been a dance act as headliner for ages. It'd be a bit of a punt I think. Olivia Rodrigo is relatively big in the UK, but I don't think she's massive. Not to mention she'd be the most vanilla headliner since they nearly booked Taylor Swift. I just can't imagine them going with all three in one go. Maybe two from the three, but not all 3.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not doubting their size. Eminem is huge obviously, revered by his fellow rappers, but I think there's a reason why he's often rumoured and never appears. Think the Eavii are unsure of his suitability as a headliner due to his lyrics and persona. Fred is an up-and-comer (and I think he'd personally be great) but there's not been a dance act as headliner for ages. It'd be a bit of a punt I think. Olivia Rodrigo is relatively big in the UK, but I don't think she's massive. Not to mention she'd be the most vanilla headliner since they nearly booked Taylor Swift. I just can't imagine them going with all three in one go. Maybe two from the three, but not all 3.

Most vanilla headliner since they booked Coldplay to headline 3 months ago*

Pretty much.  Her music is basically power pop.  It's a bit smoothed out and you wouldn't mistake it for something produced by Steve Albini but it's definitely redolent of acts like the Pixies, Breeders, The Attractions, a bit of Toro Amos, a bit of riot grrrl, etc.

https://www.nylon.com/entertainment/kathleen-hanna-on-olivia-rodrigo-riot-grrrl-influence

15 hours ago, Acid_Haze said:

I'm pretty sure when someone posted last year and said Little Simz would be subbing they were shouted down.

Same with when another person gave info about LCD Soundystem and PJ Harvey. We aren't great for it

Its hard to filter through stuff

Its funny the most ridiculous message i've seen for a while literally reading like AI and posted in bold is what's caused this conversation

12 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Tbh, the popularity of pop nostalgia like Sugababes and Craig David pulling crowds greater than actual legends of the game, Bewitched wouldn't surprise me if they pulled in 30k on a Saturday afternoon slot on Pyramid.

I'd go to be fair if at like 1pm - good fun with likely no major clash

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

Certainly, Jarvis Cocker himself said Pulp are planning on being around next year and the fact a few new songs are appearing in live shows of late hints they have been up to something.

But like you say, Pulp's last Glastonbury spot was a 2011 secret set and in 1998, 3 years on from their famed last-minute headline triumph, they were an outright bill-topper playing This is Hardcore in the pissing rain. So if the idea is to protect that 1995 show's legacy, surely that's already out the window.

Not ruling them out of wanting to play glasto until they call it tbh