2025 Headliners

Wow - I thought I'd quickly catch-up on what's been going on here before starting work.... 3 hours later just finished reading! thanks everyone for this chat it's always filled with great stuff!

A question for the folks who have been paying attention to Glastonbury headliners for a long time, have we seen constant change in what types of acts are booked going back to the 80's and 90's or is there a clear 1 time change that has happened with the advent of Spotify?

- here is my perspective based on my limited knowledge and viewpoint - types of headliners are slowly changing to match the alternative to the zeitgeist, in the 70's/ 80's it was very much the alternative to the mainstream, the roots of the festival, in the 90's it was all about the biggest bands like Oasis but still opposing mainstream pop music like the spice girls, in the 00's it was about breaking the mould and encompassing all types of music but championing the artist over the manufactured band, now embracing certain pop acts but also starting to see more heritage acts performing (but heritage acts at this time were not the mainstream and perhaps could be argued as a different type of alternative to the mainstream pop industry), then in the 10's it became about booking the biggest and best world-leading acts and once in a lifetime shows, it seems like by this time we are not seeing as much of a focus on non-mainstream?
So what is in store for the second half of the 20's, is there such a thing as alternative to the mainstream any more? My guess is that the music industry will find a way to take back control from streaming sites and create a mainstream again. but what that will look like is anyones guess?

Or maybe festival aging with its punters? and we can just expect to see a continue of this trajectory into a nostalgia festival?

To link this back to 2025 headliners - I think we are at a pivotal year for change, 2024 saw a break in the tradition, all be it a change forced by Madonna pulling out, could we start to see the emergence of a new formula beginning this year? maybe we'll get a trio of three breaking acts for the first time since the 90s, perhaps something like Fred Again, O-rod, Sam Fender.

I think the big-show era could be over and we are heading towards something new...
🙂

58 minutes ago, Wildglastotheo said:

Wow - I thought I'd quickly catch-up on what's been going on here before starting work.... 3 hours later just finished reading! thanks everyone for this chat it's always filled with great stuff!

A question for the folks who have been paying attention to Glastonbury headliners for a long time, have we seen constant change in what types of acts are booked going back to the 80's and 90's or is there a clear 1 time change that has happened with the advent of Spotify?

- here is my perspective based on my limited knowledge and viewpoint - types of headliners are slowly changing to match the alternative to the zeitgeist, in the 70's/ 80's it was very much the alternative to the mainstream, the roots of the festival, in the 90's it was all about the biggest bands like Oasis but still opposing mainstream pop music like the spice girls, in the 00's it was about breaking the mould and encompassing all types of music but championing the artist over the manufactured band, now embracing certain pop acts but also starting to see more heritage acts performing (but heritage acts at this time were not the mainstream and perhaps could be argued as a different type of alternative to the mainstream pop industry), then in the 10's it became about booking the biggest and best world-leading acts and once in a lifetime shows, it seems like by this time we are not seeing as much of a focus on non-mainstream?
So what is in store for the second half of the 20's, is there such a thing as alternative to the mainstream any more? My guess is that the music industry will find a way to take back control from streaming sites and create a mainstream again. but what that will look like is anyones guess?

Or maybe festival aging with its punters? and we can just expect to see a continue of this trajectory into a nostalgia festival?

To link this back to 2025 headliners - I think we are at a pivotal year for change, 2024 saw a break in the tradition, all be it a change forced by Madonna pulling out, could we start to see the emergence of a new formula beginning this year? maybe we'll get a trio of three breaking acts for the first time since the 90s, perhaps something like Fred Again, O-rod, Sam Fender.

I think the big-show era could be over and we are heading towards something new...
🙂

I think they go for the once in a lifetime as first call where possible, but this is clearly not sustainable. Elton John being a recent one - this pool is tiny and hard to get so never going to get 2 of them i think (i'd say less than 10 acts are in it that haven't played with most of them years inactive)

They then go for these new breaking acts, for at least 1-2 slots. I can't see them going for 3 in one year like you suggested.

They are also slowly repeating older headliners, e.g. return of Macca and what would have been a Stevie return. Bruce will come back eventually if they can get him i'm sure - Oasis in this too if they can get them

If they can't get suitable newer acts thats when they call up your AMs, Coldplays, Killers etc. I'd put Oasis above these just because rarity / time since last played

1 hour ago, Wildglastotheo said:

Rumors of Eminem and Stevie Wonder being considered counter that idea.

I doubt they will look at what happened in 2024 and think, “this is a trend we want to lean into.”

I don’t think it’s a binary, or that how they currently book leads to a nostalgia festival. The last decade or so has shown a general pattern of breaking act, established act, living legend when they can get it. Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure exemplifies this booking strategy nicely. 2024 seemed no different, they just fumbled on the living legend by all accounts, did a last minute promotion that they hoped would work out, and it led to what it led to. 

If you feel music is changing and this strategy needs to change, I’d look for that starting in 2027, not next year.

I think festival economics have changed, which is why you are seeing so many mid-tier festivals collapsing - basically the fests can’t afford the lineups expected for the ticket price under the new normal of inflated touring costs and pay expectations, so I do expect Glastonbury undercards to, by necessity, rely even more on friends of the fest that play near free to fill large slots over and over (and Glastonbury will continue selling out regardless, as more people love the weekend regardless of lineup than can fit in the festival). It could also lead to some more daring choices in the non-Pyramid headliner choices and sub slots, but I think this booking strategy for the big 3 headliners will stay as it works until there are no more living legends or established acts to book, at which point it will make the change you desire.