2025 Headliners

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

If it wasnt for the Pyramid and Other absorbing the majority of the crowd, the rest of the site's headliners would be horribly oversubscribed. So i am proper happy when they get a great big crowdpuller, cos itll make my experience elsewhere more fun 👍 

This is a very good point 

1 hour ago, Jack H said:

Just reflecting on an above quote, 'what is alternative to the mainstream now'. A really interesting question cause I'm not sure, at this time, there is a defined alternative. A few years ago you could have said Charli XCX and Chappell Roan would be classed as alternatives cause of the way they sound but now they're a big part of the mainstream. Who do you guys think could be considered big alternative acts now? 

I've noticed a trend of 'imperfection' in some artists like Mk.gee - it sounds like someone stood in the room next door recording the song - love it! but Mk.Gee is definitely not a big act. would love to see them on the farm in 2025!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

People just want the biggest names headlining the pyramid, regardless of quality or quantity of their output. I think that's here to stay and the genre of whatever music that is (pop more so in the last 10-15 years) continues to become less significant. 

Of course people want the biggest possible names headlining the pyramid.  It's literally what it's for.  Big names = mainstream music = big crowds.  

As for the sheep comment, I'm really confused why people all going to see something popular on a massive stage designed to show popular acts to massive crowds are sheep?   Come on.  There's plenty of smaller niche stages to go and stroke your chin at if big mainstream acts on the stage for big mainstream acts isn't your thing. 

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, stuie said:

Of course people want the biggest possible names headlining the pyramid.  It's literally what it's for.  Big names = mainstream music = big crowds.  

As for the sheep comment, I'm really confused why people all going to see something popular on a massive stage designed to show popular acts to massive crowds are sheep?   Come on.  There's plenty of smaller niche stages to go and stroke your chin at if big mainstream acts on the stage for big mainstream acts isn't your thing. 

Is the opposite of a sheep a goat? cos im very happy to be a goat. Absolute chin scratchers! Goats are great, there's a little farm near me who do goat walking - ive taken my ex-missus' kids a couple of times - you get a goat, pop a lead on them, and walk round the farm with them. they eat stuff, and drag you around according to which particular kind of bush they wanna munch at, and then you go back to their barn and give em a stroke and a play about.

Basically the point of my post is: Goats are the G.O.A.T. animals! much more fun than sheep! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Is the opposite of a sheep a goat? cos im very happy to be a goat. Absolute chin scratchers! Goats are great, there's a little farm near me who do goat walking - ive taken my ex-missus' kids a couple of times - you get a goat, pop a lead on them, and walk round the farm with them. they eat stuff, and drag you around according to which particular kind of bush they wanna munch at, and then you go back to their barn and give em a stroke and a play about.

Basically the point of my post is: Goats are the G.O.A.T. animals! much more fun than sheep! 

At the Pyramid the goats are quite happy chatting and dancing with the sheep, having a great time!  However, when they get back home on the internet, the goats pretend they never even went there and take the piss out of the sheep. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

I dunno, but i can guarantee people will moan about them being tall and blocking their view in the crowd 

and they don't stop spitting. 

disgusting really. 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

There's always - we hope - going to be new big names, just as there are those that will slip out of the conversation.

Olivia Rodrigo on the Friday night, Rihanna on the Saturday, Madonna on the Sunday.

Never gonna happen, but I'd be fairly happy if it did.  I'd see O-Rod but wouldn't be anywhere near the other two which would suit me fine!

10 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Never gonna happen, but I'd be fairly happy if it did.  I'd see O-Rod but wouldn't be anywhere near the other two which would suit me fine!

Oh, not in a month of Sundays. But it's a functional hypothetical, if that makes sense.

There are artists who cross between megastar and heritage booking out there, perhaps - Eminem, for example, still lines up those hits but is arguably almost a quarter-century on from his commercial prime - but generally you can split 'em down the line. 

3 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

People just want the biggest names headlining the pyramid, regardless of quality or quantity of their output. I think that's here to stay and the genre of whatever music that is (pop more so in the last 10-15 years) continues to become less significant. 

Big acts is usually what people want at the top of a festival bill, yes. Traditionally.

Glastonbury has been booking the biggest acts available to them since at least as far back as 1990

3 hours ago, TiZuff said:

"heritage acts" are soon going to acts from the 90s. not the 70s or 80s. Rarely you might be able to get a 70s / 80s acts but going to become rarer. Either they are not alive, not healthy enough, played already / recently or not touring . 

Hate to admit it as someone born in 1977 but 90s acts are very definitely heritage now

2 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Hate to admit it as someone born in 1977 but 90s acts are very definitely heritage now

There is a point for discussion. Artists who had their commercial prime in the nineties that have not headlined before. (That kicks Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, any reunions for REM, The Verve and The Stone Roses out.)

Depeche Mode? Robbie Williams? Spice Girls?

How many of them then get shafted straight into Legends conversation?

On 9/25/2024 at 1:24 PM, Wildglastotheo said:

Wow - I thought I'd quickly catch-up on what's been going on here before starting work.... 3 hours later just finished reading! thanks everyone for this chat it's always filled with great stuff!

A question for the folks who have been paying attention to Glastonbury headliners for a long time, have we seen constant change in what types of acts are booked going back to the 80's and 90's or is there a clear 1 time change that has happened with the advent of Spotify?

- here is my perspective based on my limited knowledge and viewpoint - types of headliners are slowly changing to match the alternative to the zeitgeist, in the 70's/ 80's it was very much the alternative to the mainstream, the roots of the festival, in the 90's it was all about the biggest bands like Oasis but still opposing mainstream pop music like the spice girls, in the 00's it was about breaking the mould and encompassing all types of music but championing the artist over the manufactured band, now embracing certain pop acts but also starting to see more heritage acts performing (but heritage acts at this time were not the mainstream and perhaps could be argued as a different type of alternative to the mainstream pop industry), then in the 10's it became about booking the biggest and best world-leading acts and once in a lifetime shows, it seems like by this time we are not seeing as much of a focus on non-mainstream?
So what is in store for the second half of the 20's, is there such a thing as alternative to the mainstream any more? My guess is that the music industry will find a way to take back control from streaming sites and create a mainstream again. but what that will look like is anyones guess?

Or maybe festival aging with its punters? and we can just expect to see a continue of this trajectory into a nostalgia festival?

To link this back to 2025 headliners - I think we are at a pivotal year for change, 2024 saw a break in the tradition, all be it a change forced by Madonna pulling out, could we start to see the emergence of a new formula beginning this year? maybe we'll get a trio of three breaking acts for the first time since the 90s, perhaps something like Fred Again, O-rod, Sam Fender.

I think the big-show era could be over and we are heading towards something new...
🙂

I’d like to see them pivot back to booking younger headlining acts but there are issues with that.

First, the huge names they have at the top of the bill are sometimes the only chance for festival goers to see them giving rising concert ticket prices and demand for tickets. They’re a huge draw for many.

That feeds into the second thing regarding the balancing act the festival is doing and the need to sell tickets or the whole edifice comes crashing down. Mess with the current formula too much and they could look arrogant, which could impact sales.

Thirdly, the reality is that nostalgia acts have been topping the bill for years. David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, The Who between 2000 and 2007. Manufactured pop acts too-one of Bananarama headlined in 1992, Sugababes played in 2003, Kylie was booked to headline in 2005. All part of the festivals evolution.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

There is a point for discussion. Artists who had their commercial prime in the nineties that have not headlined before. (That kicks Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, any reunions for REM, The Verve and The Stone Roses out.)

Depeche Mode? Robbie Williams? Spice Girls?

How many of them then get shafted straight into Legends conversation?

Was in the pub for an hour and couldn’t come up with anyone. The Stone Roses never actually did it so possibly them. The ‘Mode would have to be headliners surely. Whereas the Spice Girls an Williams would make contentious headliners but huge legends

4 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

We yet at a point where successful acts in the 2000s might be considered heritage?

I seem to recall when I was starting to book gigs in the late 2000's/early 2010's that 80s acts were being considered heritage even then, so only fair I consider the question or see if I get rebuffed and say it's still a few years from that.