2025 Headliners

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

LFG O-Rod is what I'm saying

I'm torn at the moment.  2024 was a hell of a festival for me, just wall to wall with stuff to see and I'm in the mindset of hanging up my spurs and going out on a high or whether to have one last hurrah next year.  O-Rod would swing it for me, I know she'd be absolutely buzzing to headline the Pyramid and would kill it.

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

There is a point for discussion. Artists who had their commercial prime in the nineties that have not headlined before. (That kicks Oasis, Radiohead, Blur, Pulp, any reunions for REM, The Verve and The Stone Roses out.)

Depeche Mode? Robbie Williams? Spice Girls?

How many of them then get shafted straight into Legends conversation?

Green Day most obvious (DM would nail a headline performance)…RHCP too but we’ve been through why they won’t! (not losing any sleep over that though, weren’t great when I did see them, though didn’t have JF on guitar at the time and I’d pay to watch him play). 

Plenty that are still hugely popular just aren’t possible (Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Prince, Tom Petty etc). Actually, the amount of ‘90s legends that aren’t around any more is pretty scary.

13 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Was in the pub for an hour and couldn’t come up with anyone. The Stone Roses never actually did it so possibly them. The ‘Mode would have to be headliners surely. Whereas the Spice Girls an Williams would make contentious headliners but huge legends

We seem to have a debate every few months over whether Depeche Mode are "big enough".

The old line that, if you did a stadium show, you can do it, doesn't really apply anymore, I think. There's so many other things to consider.

Genuinely, if Robbie got back again with Take That, you've got a primo headliner-level event there.

12 hours ago, charlierc said:

We yet at a point where successful acts in the 2000s might be considered heritage?

I seem to recall when I was starting to book gigs in the late 2000's/early 2010's that 80s acts were being considered heritage even then, so only fair I consider the question or see if I get rebuffed and say it's still a few years from that.

I’d say so. In my opinion anyway.

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

We seem to have a debate every few months over whether Depeche Mode are "big enough".

The old line that, if you did a stadium show, you can do it, doesn't really apply anymore, I think. There's so many other things to consider.

Genuinely, if Robbie got back again with Take That, you've got a primo headliner-level event there.

I think they’d be a headliner but go over like Radiohead in ‘17 or The Cure in ‘19

8 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Green Day most obvious (DM would nail a headline performance)…RHCP too but we’ve been through why they won’t! (not losing any sleep over that though, weren’t great when I did see them, though didn’t have JF on guitar at the time and I’d pay to watch him play). 

Plenty that are still hugely popular just aren’t possible (Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Prince, Tom Petty etc). Actually, the amount of ‘90s legends that aren’t around any more is pretty scary.

Yeah, a lot have cleared out. It's pretty sad.

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Haha whoops. Yes the ‘Mode

Yeah, I can see exactly what you mean by that. I look at their IOW setlist and still don't walk away feeling fully convinced they got it right.

Walking In My Shoes

Black Celebration

Policy of Truth

Precious

Behind the Wheel

I Feel You

Stripped

Everything Counts

A Question of Lust

10 A Question of Time

11 In Your Room

12 World In My Eyes

13 A Pain That I'm Used To

14 Personal Jesus

15 But Not Tonight

16 Just Can't Get Enough

17 Enjoy the Silence

18 Never Let Me Down Again

Maybe that works. Maybe it needs to be shorter.

1 hour ago, MEGABOWL said:

Not sure who was available and bigger. She was headlining BST that same weekend.

She's not the first act BST have called and it hasn't gone well. I don't think BST is always a measure for where the act is, they've taken a punt on acts that were not a good choice, I'm sure Stray Kids was one that didn't set the world alight either.

I definitely think there would have been a broader choice out there.

9 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Coachella and Glasto switching roles. Why is Coachella getting Pink Floyd and Glasto gets Fred Again.. somebody lost the plot.

Coachella are playing the influencer game the Eavii have going 😉 

On 8/27/2024 at 11:46 PM, incident said:

I'm pretty sure that an act refusing the TV coverage wouldn't be a deal breaker on the part of the festival, certainly not in this case. It's always been said that agreeing to be filmed isn't written into the contract

Ok - time to correct myself as the above is substantially wrong, or at least no longer the case.

I've got hold of some very concrete information about the specifics of the TV coverage requirements, and it's now part of the standard agreement that acts playing on the "big 5" stages allow filming and broadcast - extensively so for the BBC coverage, and also up to 4 (agreed) tracks for GFL to use on international broadcasts with GFL holding rights to use those tracks for 5 years.

No idea when that came into effect but it's certainly the current state of play - so anyone not wanting to be filmed would have to negotiate an exception.