2025 Headliners

6 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’d say so. In my opinion anyway.

There was an air of this when I went to Strokes day at All Points East in 2019, with Interpol and The Raconteurs among the undercard in the aftermath of the success of the Meet Me in the Bathroom book talking about the NY 2000's rock scene like these halcyon olde days.

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Iron Maiden can't sell out London Stadium.

This doesn't feel like that much of a surprise given the prices charged.

Although maybe there's the pop question given Coldplay were probably similarly priced and they still sold out a stupid amount of Wembley dates.

5 minutes ago, charlierc said:

This doesn't feel like that much of a surprise given the prices charged.

Although maybe there's the pop question given Coldplay were probably similarly priced and they still sold out a stupid amount of Wembley dates.

Coldplay always going to be bigger than Maiden.

The thing is that Maiden have just shifted close to 45,000 to 50,000 tickets elsewhere across the country with three arena shows. It felt ambitious for them to have those on the calendar and their biggest-ever headline show in a stadium to boot.

You don't have those shows in Manchester and Birmingham, and you'd have moved possibly an extra ten-thousand seats for London. People would travel for it, especially as an "event" show. (Glasgow is fine.)

23 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Big acts is usually what people want at the top of a festival bill, yes. Traditionally.

Glastonbury has been booking the biggest acts available to them since at least as far back as 1990

The Spice Girls were massive in the 90s but would never have been booked to headline then, so I don't think it was just about the biggest names. There has definitely been a shift in the types of acts that would be booked.

On 9/26/2024 at 1:27 PM, stuie said:

Of course people want the biggest possible names headlining the pyramid.  It's literally what it's for.  Big names = mainstream music = big crowds.  

As for the sheep comment, I'm really confused why people all going to see something popular on a massive stage designed to show popular acts to massive crowds are sheep?   Come on.  There's plenty of smaller niche stages to go and stroke your chin at if big mainstream acts on the stage for big mainstream acts isn't your thing. 

I didn't say anything about sheep, I'm guessing youre referring to someone else. 

6 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Gilmour will likely do a few dates next year, but I'd be shocked if his only festival wasn't something like BST Hyde Park.

Interesting. Sadly can't see how he'd fit into G given a lot of his show is reliant on visuals. 

Same, thought his set in Brighton was quite solid, perhaps given a new lease of life with his daughter in the band. 

2 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

Such a bizarre response to someone saying they're overwhelmed.

I assume you've lived your entire life and never had to take sick leave?

Overwhelmed due to behavior entirely of her own making, she did this to herself. By all means go take time off, but don't tell me she's cut out for this line of work.

4 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

The Spice Girls were massive in the 90s but would never have been booked to headline then, so I don't think it was just about the biggest names. There has definitely been a shift in the types of acts that would be booked.

The Spice Girls haven’t been booked to headline in the 2020s, nor do they seem to be likely. No manufactured pop act has been booked to headline AFAIK. The difference between now and the 90s is that guitar music and acts like the Prodigy were the mainstream. They were also the biggest acts available to the festival at the time. 

22 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

Also LMAO at considering my response to be bizarre, we don't need to coddle these people.

It is a bizarre response. If anyone (artist or not) needed to dip out of something for a health reason I wouldn't question it, it's not coddling it's just being a decent person.

14 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Who ever is managing her is doing a piss poor job

Agree somewhat, the breaks need to be applied otherwise it could end badly.

26 minutes ago, scatteredscreens said:

It is a bizarre response. If anyone (artist or not) needed to dip out of something for a health reason I wouldn't question it, it's not coddling it's just being a decent person.

Never said she's not allowed or entitled to take a break, you must have read that into it yourself. It's nonetheless unprofessional given the recent bullshit media controversies she got herself into. "Health reason" only goes so far when you have actual obligations in this world. Saying something about that doesn't make one an indecent person. I can't slag off either at times when I'd like to do so.

Edited by SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You think Chappell is gonna make it to 2027? Prob not

3 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Sadly not surprising news.

Fame is one of those things that can truly feel f**king wild to be in the middle of, especially that level of it. Maybe this is why Jarvis Cocker described his experience of it when Different Class turned Pulp into megastars as like having a major nut allergy.