2025 Headliners

2 hours ago, AVALON.G said:

And speculation not necessarily a headline position. Olivia, Ed and Rihanna is not great though is it.

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

If we've honestly gone far enough down the sh*t nostalgia route that B*witched cause a crush then I'm officially done. Chucking my lot in with Skip at the "queue here to complain festival isn't as good as it used to be" sign and be damned😂

Nah it wouldn't cause a crush, not even sure it's a west holts booking

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Meanwhile, rumours that Oasis might fill the Legends spot were quashed when the band insisted that was not the case."

OK.

Sheeran's playing Germany G weekend.

Playing German shows on Glastonbury Sat & Sun and is not doing 3 nights in a row. So yeah, he's out.

I will admit I'm a little surprised he's not announced a UK show given he's in the European region tbf. Would be a surprise if he didn't, and there does look like a gap in his schedule in July where something could go in.

Edited by charlierc

12 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

Answer a family debate for me: would they book harry styles and would he be interested? I say no way. I dont understand how he fits glastonbury musically or culturally. Its just not the right fit in my opinion.

I think they would and that he'd accept, because if we're seeing the Pyramid headliner as about booking the big name at the right time, and Styles is a big name British pop star who has dabbled in more than just talent show pop judging by his solo repertoire, and is big enough to sell out a lot of Wembley dates, he would appeal.

Whether he has the schedule gap or the desire to do a festival over just earning big dollar doing another dozen stadium dates is a different question. Or indeed if he's actually around touring in 2025.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Playing German shows on Glastonbury Sat & Sun and is not doing 3 nights in a row. So yeah, he's out.

Agreed.  Only 3 on the bounce is Hamburg at the same venue, and Glasto Friday would need a trip from France - UK - Germany.

Ain't happening imho.

38 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Agreed.  Only 3 on the bounce is Hamburg at the same venue, and Glasto Friday would need a trip from France - UK - Germany.

Ain't happening imho.

As said, I assume he's doing something in the UK given he seems to be playing everywhere else in Europe and in big stadiums to boot. But for him, we'll just have to keep guessing what that something is.

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

As said, I assume he's doing something in the UK given he seems to be playing everywhere else in Europe and in big stadiums to boot. But for him, we'll just have to keep guessing what that something is.

An easy guess would be BST given that the dates fit neatly with a current gap in the tour, they've not announced anyone yet, they pay big, and the various London stadiums are quite heavily booked already.

Could even see him doing 3 nights there, taking over an entire weekend, as he'd be able to sell it out fairly easily - not something that typically happens at BST, but I don't think there's any philosophical reason behind that.

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Answer a family debate for me: would they book harry styles and would he be interested? I say no way. I dont understand how he fits glastonbury musically or culturally. Its just not the right fit in my opinion.

100% they would book him.

I’d wager he’s a guarantee on the next touring cycle.

1 hour ago, incident said:

An easy guess would be BST given that the dates fit neatly with a current gap in the tour, they've not announced anyone yet, they pay big, and the various London stadiums are quite heavily booked already.

Could even see him doing 3 nights there, taking over an entire weekend, as he'd be able to sell it out fairly easily - not something that typically happens at BST, but I don't think there's any philosophical reason behind that.

I know BST have done pairs before - think Pearl Jam did 2 nights there, as did someone else whose name I can't recall. Three would be unusual.

Are the big stadiums that booked? Wembley is probably now full to capacity but I'd have thought one of the several other stadiums in the city might still have a slot or two yet to be announced.

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

dont understand how he fits glastonbury musically or culturally. Its just not the right fit in my opinion.

There is no right or wrong fit for Glastonbury festival. They’ve booked some real shite over the years and not just recently. If I remember correctly Simply Red played in the 80’s

15 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I know BST have done pairs before - think Pearl Jam did 2 nights there, as did someone else whose name I can't recall. Three would be unusual.

Are the big stadiums that booked? Wembley is probably now full to capacity but I'd have thought one of the several other stadiums in the city might still have a slot or two yet to be announced.

Wembley will be near enough at capacity between Oasis, Coldplay, and Dua Lipa

Olympic Stadium has Iron Maiden and an Athletics event

White Hart Lane has Imagine Dragons and Catfish shows

Arsenal and Twickenham don't currently have anything scheduled

So there's some capacity, but not a huge amount and there's also likely to be more big shows still to be announced other than just Sheeran. There's been rumours that one or more of The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga and Beyonce have plans for tours for next year. It's also been suggested that U2 had looked at touring but decided to wait a year, in large part due to lack of venue availability across Europe.

Sheeran already has dates announced which limit the options somewhat - the obvious and suitably sized gap in the tour for UK dates is Mid-July, which fits with BST and also provides the most natural explanation for why the UK shows weren't just announced with the rest of the tour.

Just now, incident said:

Wembley will be near enough at capacity between Oasis, Coldplay, and Dua Lipa

Olympic Stadium has Iron Maiden and an Athletics event

White Hart Lane has Imagine Dragons and Catfish shows

Arsenal and Twickenham don't currently have anything scheduled

So there's some capacity, but not a huge amount and there's also likely to be more big shows still to be announced other than just Sheeran. There's been rumours that one or more of The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga and Beyonce have plans for tours for next year. It's also been suggested that U2 had looked at touring but decided to wait a year, in large part due to lack of venue availability across Europe.

Sheeran already has dates announced which limit the options somewhat - the obvious and suitably sized gap in the tour for UK dates is Mid-July, which fits with BST and also provides the most natural explanation for why the UK shows weren't just announced with the rest of the tour.

U2 still haven't finished their album yet, so I think that's a barrier as well. Although they seem to take the best part of forever to finish one. One person who is seen as quite good at predicting Irish concerts actually talked them up as a rumour for Glastonbury but the receding prospect of them touring next year presumably rules them out.

I think Wembley has reached capacity but I think London and Tottenham Stadiums still have room for a few more plus ofc Emirates, Twickenham and Hyde Park are yet to reveal what they're doing.

Just now, charlierc said:

When Eminem did Reading in 2013 and 2017, he refused to allow the BBC to broadcast his set. Would this be a deal breaker if he did decide he was up for Glastonbury or is that a bit of a stretch?

That's a tricky one.

I always said it wouldn't be a big factor, and I believe that used to be the case, but I've got hard evidence that that's now wrong.

Allowing TV coverage (and use of that material beyond the festival weekend) is now written into the standard agreement for performers on the big 5 stages - so it's something that would have to be specifically negotiated out. No idea how willing GFL would be to do so, or whether there's any onward agreements with the BBC that'd prevent them being able to.

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

100% they would. If the timing aligns on his next album/tour cycle I reckon he’d be nailed on Saturday headliner.

4 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Yes and yes.  

When his name was first mentioned a year or two back I thought no chance, but it's now clear that he's absolutely of the level required and people who think he's not haven't paid any attention to him in the last few years.  

He might have come from a TV talent show but he's most definitely a credible artist and his stock his huge.  He's going to have a long career and in years to come he'll be compared to Prince, Bowie etc.  Or around that kind of level.  

30 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yes and yes.  

When his name was first mentioned a year or two back I thought no chance, but it's now clear that he's absolutely of the level required and people who think he's not haven't paid any attention to him in the last few years.  

He might have come from a TV talent show but he's most definitely a credible artist and his stock his huge.  He's going to have a long career and in years to come he'll be compared to Prince, Bowie etc.  Or around that kind of level.  

I quite enjoy some of Styles’ stuff and was with you all the way up to the Prince / Bowie comparisons. Time will tell but I think that’s a bridge beyond where his ceiling lies as an artist. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

What was the reasoning behind this?

Nothing substantial really. In 2013, BBC just had to Tweet, "Sadly we will not be bringing you any TV or live stream coverage of tonight’s headline set. @Eminem has asked us not to film his performance" with no reason given by Eminem's people, and then he did it again when he returned 4 years later.